Legalities of BFG here and abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalities of BFG here and abroad

First up obviously BFGs are legal in the UK as lots of people have and use them. But what are the requirements for buying one and for buying blanks?

Also what about abroad because I have never seen any used on american youtube videos and a quick google came up with a couple of forums who were screaming about how dangerous they are and how no-one should ever take on onto an airsoft site.
    Is this because in america it would be too simple to use REAL .38 ammo instead of blanks and hence they are illegal?

Re: Legalities of BFG here and abroad

Buying one in the UK, you have to be over 18, and have a legitimate reason for purchasing one. You cant get a 'two tone' BFG (although a certain company that makes a whole line up of BFGs will sell you a Pink or Banana Yellow one ), but they are not just sold to anybody. I know the same company require you to complete a registration form before they will charge you and ship the grenade. Same with most of the other online retailers. They can be dangerous products if mis-used, but the requirements arent so strict. BFGs arent just used in airsoft, they can be used in paintball, and many police and other armed units, or security contractors and such may wish to use them for training. So any reason along those lines would be OK, but if your a local chav wanting to blow up a rubbish bin, then jog on.

As for the US, the big problem is that each individual state can have its own laws. There is no single law which says they are illegal (they aren't) but equally many states dont know much about them and hence, there isnt a law relating to them. The company that makes them in the UK have sold a few hundred to various US states and personnel, including the US Military. Even the Federal Government cant give them a direct answer on what their legal status is. In the US pyro just doesn't seem to be used as much (maybe its just me and the videos ive seen) but they like their Thunder Bees and Tornado grenades as opposed to BFGs.

I dont know about using real ammo in them, for one without modification to the top section, a real round wouldnt fit. Also, why? getting a gun is so easy in the US (either legally or illegally) that if your THAT concerned with using one, your not gonna pay £100 plus shipping, wait a week for it to get sent over, modify it, then go use it.
    sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Thanks Caldymoose I couldn't have asked for a more in depth answer! (except now i'm going to with follow up questions haha)

Don't worry I'm no local chav :p Skirmished for years, had Ukara, expired and just getting it again.
      I assumed there would be similar rules to buying mk5s from shops/sites and probably an Ukara check involved. (AN UKARA... A Ukara... grammer?)

So certain areas of the US aren't illegal but most airsoft sites won't have them incorporated in the insurance anyway? I personally hate those Thunder B's they seem so unreliable.

I forgot that blank rounds aren't as long as real ones and I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to load real ammunition into them, but I was more wondering if that was what was stopping them from being widespread usage.
      It just seems they're missing out on a big chunk of the best bits of airsoft!

What about the French? I have only ever seen Tornados used in french youtube.
      And what about the tornados that have got a gas cap fitted instead of spraying bb's out?

Comment

Originally posted by Pepperisit View Post
        but I was more wondering if that was what was stopping them from being widespread usage.
        It just seems they're missing out on a big chunk of the best bits of airsoft!
        I believe people are put off by the price of a BFG and limitations to its use:
        Only Underarm bowling - Not great in woodland
        Retrieve after use
        Price - ~ £95 for a VTG and that's only for one.

But also some people don't look into the bigger picture - cost/use.
        The price of blanks very much allows the BFG unit to regain it's value IF used often where environment permits - CQB = Perfect

Comment

Being able to check a registration number against a site is one way of checking you out, so as far as that goes, you shouldnt have an issue buying one (if you are looking into it). Chemical pyro might become harder to source in the coming years as the restrictions on chemical pyro might be getting increased and more stringent, so thats another bonus for BFGs.

The insurance, they come under pyro for the most part, but its not hard to get them approved for airsoft use. The SWAT VTGs are approved by every insurance broker in the UK who deal with airsoft sites. Has taken them a little while to get them all approved, but the effort has meant they are allowed at 99% of sites in the UK. Only one chain has disallowed them, for reasons which they have failed to disclose. They say its an insurance issue, which I know to be total porky pie. but thats another story...
          The US, it wouldnt be hard for them to be insured over there. If something isnt used by people, then it doesnt need to be insured so to speak. If a lot of US players start asking about them then I'd expect things to pick up from a legal POV.

As for the live rounds thing, I dont forsee that being a massive issue, its more a Darwin/natural selection issue there.

The French? The grenade would go off and make a sound like a shot. The French then surrender and go back to the safezone.

The price is usually the issue on which most people get hung up on and then declare that they are far to expensive. So, lets look at that real quick. A brand new VTG costs £95. Tub of 50 9mm blanks, £13. So thats £108. for 50 goes (initially)
          Some sites charge what, £2 per MK5? 50 x £2 = £100. For 50 goes at that price, the BFG has come in £8 more expensive. OK, round 1 to the MK 5.

You go to play again a few weeks later and buy another 50 MK5s at £2 each. £100 again. You spend £13 on a tub of 50 9mm blanks. This time, your MK5s have cost you £100, your BFG...£13. Thats a £87 difference. Do it again, another £87 saved. Now you've bought yourself VTG number 2.

Yes, they are more expensive initially, but the long term running costs and cost of blank ammo is cheap as anything when compared to chemical pyro. BFG use is limited outside though as you cant throw over arm. (plus then you have to find said grenade...) but indoors, they are a vital tool. Generally, they are safer to use and more reliable than chemical pyro and create much less mess, which from a site operator point of view is a good thing.
          sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Cost wise is exactly why I am looking at getting one! And also the fact that I am often unwilling to throw mk5s because I know everyone will vacate the room before it goes off and also I only have 5 so don't want to waste one of them! However if I have 50 in my pocket and only cost 30p a shot I'll just lob it!

Where are you buying them for £13? £18 at my local shop. but even so its much much cheaper!

Thanks for all you help it just seems like theres no real reason they aren't big in those places and the manufacturers should get on it for profit!

Comment

Same company that makes the VTG sell blanks, so google them and have a look! Come in different calibre's as well if you dont want 9mm.

Building a BFG is much harder than you might think, and there are patents all over the show for the internal workings. Its not something that anybody can just start making, and even then, there is a limited market for people who have a need and want to purchase one. They are quite a unique item in the grand scheme of things. I know the VTG makers are trying to break into the US market a lot more, and we are making progress over there, but it will take time.
              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Pepperisit Find out more about Pepperisit
              Working...
              X