re-shimming a VFC gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-shimming a VFC gearbox

I have just ordered a VFC hk416 m27 after a lot of research and am wondering if it is worth getting rid of the self shimming gears and re-shimming it normally. Also another topic of mixed opinion, 11.1 or 7.4 in a vfc 416/7? Vfc along with the americans seem to be confident enough to use them (vfc test all guns with a 12v car battery before they box them up), so why are us brits so afraid to use them? I haven't made my mind up yet but gonna run it on the 7.4s which I already have for now

Re: re-shimming a VFC gearbox

stick to 7.4 and wait until something breaks is my advice. if your buying brand new and you open it up, you have gotten rid of any warranty you may have.

by opening it up to change shims you may introduce a new fault.
    For Sale!
    TM M870 with a load of stuff
    A&K massada sniper spec
    Chronograph
    leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Hmm a valid point that was my plan anyway tbh as I don't have the money to start messing around with it yet. Just as a side note I don't suppose anyone knows if a magpul ASAP sling plate would fit on it?

Comment

they should do, its based of an 'm4', same stock tube etc
        For Sale!
        TM M870 with a load of stuff
        A&K massada sniper spec
        Chronograph
        leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Originally posted by CJC View Post
          Hmm a valid point that was my plan anyway tbh as I don't have the money to start messing around with it yet. Just as a side note I don't suppose anyone knows if a magpul ASAP sling plate would fit on it?
          You won't need to open it up and re-shim it. Unless it's a lemon (very unlikely from VFC but do sometimes happen) it will work superbly.

Comment

I've an Umarex (VFC) HK416 I've run it on 7.4 and 11.1 with no problems as for re-shimming it why?? ............the gear are rock soild with the self shimming I've jhad mine over a year and put 10.000 through it, and it still as smooth as when it was new .

Comment

Wouldn't bother with a reshim untill you have a reason to open the gearbox, then i would dget rod of the self shim and rwpalace with standard shims
              Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Comment

VFC gears use a self shimming system. Nice idea in practise and whilst functional, is not the absolute best system in the world. Due to the little springs on the gears, the shafts are slightly different to a normal gear set. Therefore, (I think) if you want to re-shim with traditional shims, you'd need a new gear set. Ask yourself if thats really something you wanna do. If your going to be replacing the gearset, you may as well strip the whole gearbox out and clean it and give it a new coat of nice gear grease/lube. Id look at replacing the piston as well, VFC tend to make their pistons out of a relatively brittle poly carb. Again, they arent bad if your not looking to try and achieve sill ROFs or FPS with them, but they are not as good as some aftermarket ones.
                sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

CJC Find out more about CJC
                Working...
                X