Mag Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag Repair

So a couple of weeks ago I started using Rotheneberger Propane (plumbers gas) after getting a Madbull adapter .... and life was good. I got a bit trigger happy in the garden and would just refill after refill. Sometimes I forgot to lube. I started lubing every 2 fills a few days ago. After mowing the lawn today I thought I would shoot up random stuff in the garage but my GHK PDW stopped after about 4 shots. I filled up again and heard some dreaded hissing from the bottom of the mag. I stripped the mag and dipped it in some water after filling it. One cylinder was blowing bubbles !! So I stripped it down inspected the o-ring added some PU / Teflon tape - did both cylinders whilst I was there top and bottom. Added some gas and bingo - no hiss. Dropped it in some water and no bubbles ...cool. Feeling smug I put everything back together and put it back in the PDW - but after a couple of shots I was out of gas again. Stripped it down again and filled with gas and immediate dropped in water - no bubbles.

The no bubbles thing has confused me. If there was a leak surely I would have some bubbles. Unless Ive broken something on the gun itself.
    I've filled with gas and will check in a few hours if the mag has slowly emptied itself.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, P.

Re: Mag Repair

If there is no sign of a leak in the mag, then I'd be thinking either too much gas is flowing through the gun (you'd probably see that as venting though if we're talking half a dozen shots before empty) or possibly the pressure in your propane tank is too low. When you fill a magazine, you're increasing the pressure inside the mag to that of the tank (or towards it) so if there's not much left in the tank, you're not going to end up putting much in the magazine.

Another option is that the ptfe you added could have come loose and is restricting gas flow on the inlet valve. Aside from that or the above, I can't see any good reasons why you'd go from emptying whole mags to hardly any when shooting in similar conditions (it is the height of summer after all - perfect gas weather).

Comment

MAJOR !!!!!

thanks mate - lol just tried filling my beretta out of the Rothenberger and I got about 4 or 5 shots out of it. Looks like the tank is empty and I didn't know it. You're a genius sir.
      Funny thing is when I shake the can there's something in there but like you said - no pressure. Well at least Ive got a nice air tight mag. Rothenberger was great whilst it lasted - got loads of fills out of it. Time to try out Colemans for the first time wonder if the stink is as bad as everyone says.

Cheers Major - appreciate the help.

Comment

Makes sure you always store it with some gas in, that prevents most leaks and means it's probably not a problem with the seals if something does go wrong.

Comment

Downside with Propane is there is always something left in the tin. Its annoying at best.
          section 24 of the 1968 Act
          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

yup always caches you out, you shake it and there's liquid in there but no pressure or only 3-4 shots.
            " I LOVE THE SMELL OF PROPANE IN THE MORNING, SMELLS LIKE... AIRSOFT"

Comment

Yup - time to refill it from a 20kg propane cylinder!
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Originally posted by dadio View Post
                yup always caches you out, you shake it and there's liquid in there but no pressure or only 3-4 shots.
                " I LOVE THE SMELL OF PROPANE IN THE MORNING, SMELLS LIKE... AIRSOFT"
                I want the propane you use.
                Mine just smells of burnt hair and onion farts with ghandi's starboard flip flop thrown in for good measure!
                section 24 of the 1968 Act
                Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                  I want the propane you use.
                  Mine just smells of burnt hair and onion farts with ghandi's starboard flip flop thrown in for good measure!
                  thats cos you refill yours with burnt hair and onion farts sean lol
                  Team DC........................it's all about shock and awe

Comment

Hooked up my Colemans and waited for the smell ... Nothing. Slight pong but nothing too bad, in fact it smelt exactly the same as my Rothenberger gas, which at the start I didnt like but now am quite used to and dont even notice. I wonder if I actually smell like that now ...

Guess they must be putting odourant in Rothenberger now. Cool I am desensitized to the smell and will be better off by about 3 pounds per can.
                    sweeeeeet.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

IronMonkeyPimp Find out more about IronMonkeyPimp
                    Working...
                    X