L85A1 or L85A2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: L85A1 or L85A2?

I should also add that SA-80 real steel history aside, the AA L85A1's are a lovely bit of quality kit for the money. I've used one and was surprised at the smoothness of the gearbox, accuracy, rate of fire and build quality.

BTW - the pictures of the SA-80 above are of an L85A2. Panoptes- Is it a Star version?
    Drop'm out with a low cap and save the environment.

Comment

^ In a similar vein;

The L85A1 was a supremely accurate weapon which worked fairly reliably but only in 'range conditions'.

The L85A2 is now the world's most accurate and reliable general issue assault rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
        ^ In a similar vein;

The L85A1 was a supremely accurate weapon which worked fairly reliably but only in 'range conditions'.

The L85A2 is now the world's most accurate and reliable general issue assault rifle.

Agreed. Both types have always been very accurate weapons. lee Enfield have always had very accurate weapons. I gained my Marksmanship qualification on a Lee enfield many moons ago.......

I've always been surprised why the L85A2 has not had export success. i might be wrong but I'm only aware of a branch of the Thai military using the L85A2 carbine- not the Tank crew version though.

Are the pictures above of the L85A2 a Star product?

Comment

Wow, it is lush :L thanks for all your help- i only have around £150 to spend, maybe £250 if i get lucky with a few things, but it's still not enough for an A2 but again, thanks for all your help- i'll be looking round for cheap offers on A2's from now on (:

Comment

I tried out my mate's AA version and it feels like a toy.
            My Star A2 is the mutt's nuts.Weighty(rather than heavy),solid,reliable and powerful.
            Wipe them out.All of them.

Comment

Originally posted by olithefly View Post
              I tried out my mate's AA version and it feels like a toy.
              My Star A2 is the mutt's nuts.Weighty(rather than heavy),solid,reliable and powerful.
              Yep. i'd say Star's L85A2 is probably the strongest Airsoft weapon around- made of steel!

It's an excellent training weapon in terms of getting used to carrying it and owing to its real steel weight and balance, using under some conditions- e.g firing positions, contact drills etc. When i got mine, it was £499 and it's still going strong- one of my best Airsoft purchases ever.

Comment

This seems to have got slightly off topic. On the subject of airsoft L85s
                The Star is the best looking but most expensive and can have some problems if you get an old one which are best getting looked at by a shop. But once its working right its the mutts.
                The Army Armament is a nice looking gun but and this is the big one, Its very hit and miss on the QC and doesnt take standard parts. I've got one and not had any major problems apart from a lack of semi from the factory but lots of people have had the pistons strip meaning mod work to fit a TM standard piston or having to source a G&G piston (which the AA is a copy of) Its also an A1 so you will drop mags, there is a fix by either adding your own guard to the mag release or just by making the mag well a tighter fit with tape.
                The best middle ground L85 is the ICS one. The dimensions are slightly out from the real one but its not something you'd notice and by all accounts they're very reliable.

Comment

What about the G&G And ics l85's or are they naff?

Comment

Originally posted by MiniSnipa View Post
                    What about the G&G And ics l85's or are they naff?
                    Well ICS is ICS! Solid quality and strips like the real gun- a big plus. It's also stamped steel but not real steel weight- for me this is the reason I have not replaced my Star.

The G&G is also good quality but I'm not impressed by the many reports of poor longevity because of the blowback. Many users report having to disengage the blowback. It's also not real steel weight which for me is not a plus!

It has to be said that I dabbled with blowback for Star's SA-80 and I also reverted back to the non-blowback gearbox. It put a strain on the gearbox and swallowed up too much battery power. I think blowback for assualt rifles has to be via the Gas Blowback mechanism.

Comment

The G&G ones, and thus the AA ones all have a psg-1 length piston and sector gear. This means either replacing them and getting a piston spacer in there, or having all your pistons die due to preengagement.

Comment

i had both star and AA. the AA broke!! the star didnt!! i got the Star for £220 of the forums and the AA ( with a sector gear upgrade) for £160? not a lot in it!!
                        i would have to go for the star. the build quality is outstanding on the star i really must say! its built like a rock!! the AA however isnt as study but aint to bad i guess. the star hop rubber was crap! i couldnt be arsed to change it so i just left it. the full atuo wasnt brill either but again that could have been the hop-up. like what was said above the clones, like AA, do need improvment. my m8 bought an AA one and its still runs like a beauty!!thats about 6 months!! mine lasted one day of skirmishing. this just proves they are unpredictable. he has only had to change the rubber!
                        i would go with star but some would go with AA. oh and a big thing for me!! ROF! the AA was mint cos of its sector gear replacment but on the videos by scoutthedoggie they sound terrible without it. the star, with no upgrade and a MASSIVE 4700Mah 8.4v battery it had about the same. but a 9.6 would help!

Comment

Quick warning though: at this time, there are no large capacity batteries which will fit in the latest A2 handguard (bought separately) - the one with the sloped front.

Comment

G&G make an A2, and I'm sure I'd heard rumours of Army making a copy of it.

One thing I will say though, when I was trying out my mates G&G A1 it seemed to be a little shorter than the real steel one

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                            X