This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering with the Police ?

I have only been into Airsoft for a year, I read forums from all over and quite agree with many and don't with others, as is the right of everyone. Registering with a governing body, obtaining a licence and the strong controls on buying airsoft armoury have made me feel safe in this wonderful sport. I do however fear recent public episodes which have arisen to, at least, worry me on the possible longevity for skirmishing. I and I guess you all will have spent a fortune pimping your look and wouldn't feel kindly throwing it away because maybe something stupid occurred, such as like a thread I read where a unlicensed person tried to persuade another to sell them a AR.
    It dawned on me, should this happen that if all skirmishers had to register all their owned armoury with their local police. The point being that should you sell or scrap it, then you would have to inform the police of to whom you sold/passed the item onto. This would make the seller have to check details to be able to pass on to police. My reason being, "if its not safe, don't do it". I know the logistics would take some working out, but we might all feel cleaner of the mind.
    sigpic" Only the living cry for war's end, the dead are quite relaxed about it "

Re: Registering with the Police ?

The police really don't have time for any of this. Honestly, they've got better things to worry about than airsoft guns. Believe it or not, that's pretty much what you have to do with real firearms (I keep .44 carbines with a valid rifle certificate). Asking them to accommodate airsoft into an already imperfect system is just asking for a blanket ban when things go wrong. It also brings our toy plinkers closer in association to live weapons, which will have an obviously detrimental knock-on effect.

The latest in "airsoft is about guns, so it's bad" hype is thanks to our own sensationalist media, looking for ANY excuse to use the words "gun", "terrorist" or "panic" in a cheap column. So on and so forth. It sells papers and makes old ladies shake their heads, as if we're supposed to give a shit.

Personally, I feel fine on the ground I stand. I know our laws and legislation, my personal rights and always retain an element of common sense. I don't feel threatened at all.
    All you can do yourself is obey the law, represent the hobby in a positive light, and completely separate yourself from any an all who'd bring RIFs into disrepute. By doing those things we eliminate the odds of us being mistaken for sad lunatics that hand out G36s in a public park.

Relax my friend. There be no dragons here, only alarmist idiots.

Comment

What's the point? Would just mean more red tape and hoops to jump through.

Was fine before UKARA and its fine now.

Comment

was there a point to this post? if so, struggling to see it
        Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

My Local firearms register can just about cope with 2500 licences and every now and again I get a cock up on an entry. Let alone the 3 month wait when you need to make an adjustment. Just wouldn't be practical not to mention worth it. Such a requirement would destroy the shops and more than likely Airsoft as a whole, it would be so deep underground again with only those able to and bothered to go through the red tape.
          "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
          Life in the fast lane........
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bob86 View Post
            was there a point to this post? if so, struggling to see it
            I would think it was obvious, mucker. Chewybacka is concerned about the future of airsofting and the potential risk of a ban due to a very plausible negative image and a lack of police involvement. Savy?

Comment

I'm going to be 'that guy' again:
              • There is no such thing as an 'airsoft license,' so you don't have one and neither does anyone else
              • There is no law against anyone owning airsoft weapons (though certain people may be banned from doing so due to previous criminal behaviour)
              • You're suggesting that the police keep track of who owns toys, which anyone can legally own, so that they know who owns toys that anyone can legally own?
              102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Come on guys. The guy just asked if people thought it would be a liable resource in protecting the sport. Is there really any need in slamming him so bad. Was an idea which could have been shot down in a far more polite way.

"No mate, it wouldn't work I'm afraid because........" Would have sufficed.
                “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

Isn't that what I just did?

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                    I'm going to be 'that guy' again:
                    • There is no such thing as an 'airsoft license,' so you don't have one and neither does anyone else
                    Just beat me to it!! Haha.
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh well, I was only thinking it might be a sensible idea not only to protect those in the sport, but those out of it too, who don't understand the real meaning of Airsoft. Didn't mean to cause an uproar.
                      sigpic" Only the living cry for war's end, the dead are quite relaxed about it "

Comment

I think we can see why it would make sense in theory: know who owns what and then you'll know who has done something they shouldn't have done with it. However I think what people are saying is that licensing things like this takes a lot of time and admin, and therefore money, and so has to be for a valid reason. Unlike other things that get the licensing treatment, like real guns and cars, airsoft doesn't really need such a system.

Real guns can easily kill people, so the government feels the need to know who has them. Cars are owned by millions of people (who are charged for owning them and some of that charge pays for the cost of licensing them) and can be used to do a lot of expensive damage, so the government needs to know who has them. Airsoft guns, on the other hand, are owned by relatively few people and cannot really do that much damage (note: this is not the opinion of The Daily Mail) so they don't really justify the cost or effort of a licensing scheme like the one you are suggesting.
                        102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

I am the proud owner of the UK's premium "Can do" airsoft licence!

It entitles me to free entry into any and all airsoft sites and military camps. I am allowed to train fortnightly with "Them" as long as I wear black nasty across my eyes. It also enables me to commandeer Hackney cabs (as long as I pay the fare on exit) and one free Pear cider at the local boozer.
                          There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
                            I am the proud owner of the UK's premium "Can do" airsoft licence!

It entitles me to free entry into any and all airsoft sites and military camps. I am allowed to train fortnightly with "Them" as long as I wear black nasty across my eyes. It also enables me to commandeer Hackney cabs (as long as I pay the fare on exit) and one free Pear cider at the local boozer.
                            Please sir !!! may I have one too !!!

Comment

When they changed the system of Shotgun Licences (in the old days you just had a Licence and there was no record of serial Nos or No of Guns held etc) I reckon tens of thousands of them went "underground", how many Airsoft Guns do you reckon would vanish overnight?
                              I for one wouldn't bother registering a "Toy", after holding Shotgun and Firearms Tickets in the past it is just a step to far with our personal liberties :-(
                              Incidently if you are curious I do have several Airsoft Weapons, some 2 tone and some old ones bought pre 2000 (VCRA BS etc) and ATM I am not a member of any clubs.
                              The one thing I would say is that I am 50 and am mature/responsible enough to keep my stuff safely away under lock and key and don't go pissing about with them in public.
                              I was hoping to get back in to skirmishing this year but due to work and family events spare time has been minimal...maybe next year ?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Chewybacka Find out more about Chewybacka
                              Working...
                              X