mp5 / thompson rig - what are my options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mp5 / thompson rig - what are my options

well i have a thompson, and am soon to be getting a nice new gbb mp5 to play with. now what are my options mag carrying wise?
    Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Re: mp5 / thompson rig - what are my options

There are plethora of MP5 pouches out there.

Molle singles, doubles and trebles for sure... I think I have even seen quads.
    The old fashioned leather type MP5 mags (not good for tommy mags though as they are moulded)
    There is all the historical type rigs too... A WW2-esque herring bone chest rig.
    If individual MP5 pouches are a pain go for some low profile AK pouches which will take a few mags in one pouch.

Comment

I've found Warrior's non-slip retention pouches are great, they can carry X2 M4 mags or a single AK/G36 mag a piece, but I've used my Thompson with them for years, can fit two mags in each quite happily
      G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
      RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

cheers bill, thought u were banned? lol

i'm not entirely sure i want to go the molle pouch route, as i already have some, and dont like them at all for when i had my mp9

i suppose i could get some mp5 pouches for my german rig?

but i was more interested in vests or rigs as a whole, rather than pouches

Comment

Temp ban.... But I have no doubt it will kick off again soon enough!

I have seen the period accurate chest rigs for Tommy gunners. Three pouches on each side in a herring bone formation.

There are molle vests that allow you to mount pouches at 45 degrees too so you could do a modern take on that.

I ran 2 x trebles on a belt kit, but they got on my tits as every time I squatted for cover the either sat too high and dug in my ribs or after lowering them on the belt they stabbed me in the legs!

Comment

so is molle the only real route then?

are there no real steel vests out there made for the mp5? no sf type rigs or odd russian stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by bob86 View Post
              so is molle the only real route then?

are there no real steel vests out there made for the mp5? no sf type rigs or odd russian stuff?
              There was an american company who made one. it was based on an M4 vest, with pouches fitted with dividers. Company was called "FMCO".
              past that, there where several Police/SWAT vests, but plenty of them used belt kits. the Guarder ones certainly come with an MP5 module.
              the seals ABA vest also had a module for them, and Repros are available.

I think Begadi make a chest rig.

Problem is the way the MP5 is/was issued. Users tend to be on a comparatively small scale compared to service issue rifles (special forces, pilots PDWs, Police SWAT units) and many of those, especially police, don't tend to carry large quantities of reloads.
              Not actually a builder
              Not actually called Bob.

Comment

yeah i have a begadi chest rig that i use for my thompson, but i was looking for something a bit different for when my 80's style mp5 arrives, and didnt want to just do the leather police type pouches or m4 pouches which i can utilise for mp5's

i find i use 5 midcaps in my thompsn in one game, and as its going to be a gas mp5 i can see me needing a fair few mp5 mags

Comment

well depending on the size of the mags you could use the west german uzi pouches like i do, i use the canvas tan ones for the fatter mags i have and the marginally thinner ones i can fit in the green plastic canvas pouches.
                  you can run them on normal belt or west or east german belt and yoke set. i can dig them out and photo them if needed. (i have some israeli 50s uzi pouches that sit on uk belts with popper stud flaps on each mag but not tried them in the field yet)

hoarder of ksc glocks currently 11+ parts and counting

Comment

Not sure about the Thompson mags, but I regularly use M4 pouches for MP5 mags - you can carry more mags in the space available as the dedicated MP5 pouches take up more room.

This pic is how I use them.
                    It shows 3 pouches: one with 3 MP5 mags, one with two M4 mags in, and one closed.
                    rig.jpg

Comment

thanks, i think im going to go with a german lks pouches for the rig, as i already have the belt and suspenders for my lmg setup, so just gonna need more mp5 type pouches for that

Comment

dug out the green rubber canvas ones and you can se the canvas one in the bottom photo

Comment

ah they look cool, so thats east german ddr is it? are they the mp2 pouches? because i found one of the flecktarn LKS platform type pouches i have kicking about looks very similar, and its marked mp2

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                          Not sure about the Thompson mags, but I regularly use M4 pouches for MP5 mags - you can carry more mags in the space available as the dedicated MP5 pouches take up more room.
                          thanks sonuk, but i dont have any pouches like that so if im having to buy some, i think i'll get mp5 specific if i can

Comment

Originally posted by bob86 View Post
                            ah they look cool, so thats east german ddr is it? are they the mp2 pouches? because i found one of the flecktarn LKS platform type pouches i have kicking about looks very similar, and its marked mp2

they are both west german bundeswehr uzi pouches the green ones are rather tight on airsoft uzi and mp5 (plastic and metal) mags ksc glock expended mags fit nice tho ;p though canvas ones are fine for both uzi and mp5 but with help of paracord magpulls its a brease.

heres a israeli/early bunder type looks based on ww2 brit stuff fits these glock mags ok ish but does not clasp shut :/ mp5 mags fine but as always bananna the pouch a bit.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bob86 Find out more about bob86
                            Working...
                            X