G&G Gen2 416 long to G&G Gen2 416 CQB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&G Gen2 416 long to G&G Gen2 416 CQB

Basically I'm looking at the possibility of buying a second hand G&G Gen2 416 (T4-18) Long with the intentions of converting it to a a CQB version but though I can strip down and service an airsoft Armalite variant I know nothing when it comes to changing the inner and outer barrels. Can anyone offer me advise as to what length/brand the inner and outer barrel need to be in order to end up with a 416 CQB replica from the T4-18 and what sort of cost I am looking at? I'd want to put a tightbore inner barrel in to replace the standard tightbore these guns come with.

Re: G&G Gen2 416 long to G&G Gen2 416 CQB

Why not just get a T4-18 Light, which is effectively a 416 CQB? Internally identical, and replacing the pre existing TB won't yield any notable results.
    Main Armoury: CYMA Zhukov AK | G&P M7A1 | PTS Masada AKM

Comment

OK, I see what your saying and I realise a T4-16 Light IS the CQB version. As for getting a T4-18 Light, the point is I'm not buying new so don't have that choice as it could be weeks before anyone is selling a Light second hand. As the Long version is an option I'm looking to convert that to a Short based on 2nd hand availability. In respect of the TB, my intention isn't to achieve anything more by replacing the barrel, more to ensure the performance remains the same and I don't take a step back replacing it with a standard barrel.

Comment

The T-418 (Standard, longer length) is only longer because it has a barrel extension on the outer. You can simply unscrew that which will put the outer barrel length about half an inch outside of the RIS.

The only problem is that the inner barrel then protrudes the outer by about two inches, so you'll have to either get a shorter inner, or get a small silencer.

Hope that helps

Comment

Aw sweet! Thanks for that. So it can instantly be made in to the Light version, out-barrel length wise, I like that. So with the inner barrel being a little too long by 2 inches, can this be cut down with pip cutters and de-burred without causing any issues? Presumably, as long as the cut is perfectly flat at a right angle, this would make it fire the same, right?

Comment

Yep - it'll instantly be light length by unscrewing it. The only difference between models in the inner barrel length.

My advise would be to steer clear of pipe cutter and buy a new inner barrel. That way, if you want to sell it - you have a platform that can be either the standard T418 or T418 light which is a good thing.

Comment

I have the carbine model and often switch it to the light version. Works out pretty nicely, I get 345fps with the stock longer (6.03) inner barrel, or remove the extension and using a shorter madbull 300mm 6.03 inner I get 325 fps. The madbull inner does protrude by 15mm from the front of the gun but the flash hider covers it.

So by swapping inner barrels, which takes less than 5 mins, I can use the gun for both CQB and woodland and be bang on the velocity limits.
              Last edited by speedbird_666; 15 August, 2013, 16:45. Reason: spelling

Comment

Mmm, interesting. So does the inner barrel simply pull out of the hop unit/rubber and push-fit straight back in, no disassembly of the hop unit needed? How simple is it to get to this part, same as most M4's so pop pins out, separate upper and lower receiver and pull hop unit/barrel out of the out barrel?

Comment

Best advice would be to get a complete other barrel and hop combo so you can switch them around when needed!

Comment

I see what you are saying but the idea is to not spend money on parts if I can help it and I have a lot of other things to pay out for at th moment, car take included. I'ii only be running it as a CQB length gun so can't see myself swapping out barrels.

Comment

The hop and barrel change is easy, the upper reciever releases with the front slide pin being released and then the whole upper slides forward (this can be tight the first time) careful not to catch the dust cover on the pin though. The upper should then have the hop and barrel in it.
                      The barrel is secured in a plastic gr16 hol unit so carefully take the hop clip off and gently remove the barrel along with the rubber trying not to pinch the rubber as can damage it (it should be a green g&g cold weather rubber and found to be quite good)
                      After this the outer barrel extension can be unscrewed, there is no grub screw of similar holding it on so may just be tight, can't remember which way it is if ccw or cw.
                      The standard flash hider then cms be screwed onto the front onto what is left of the outer barrel.
                      I wouldn't cut the barrel for the sake of a twenty quid note can get a genuine replacement g&g light inner and if you have no intention of going back to the longer barrel then sell it to fund the shorter.
                      I had the long version but prefer the light length so dropped in a madbull python ii tb inner with neo hop and g&g rubber and this performs awesome throwing the bb out to ridiculous range and accuracy.
                      sigpic

Comment

I really appreciate you input so thanks for that. Some great info. What length would the inner barrel need to be for a short T4-18 version? However, I think it would cost more than £20 for the barrel, rubber and hop unit setup. The barrel alone is retailing for £30+ here in the UK let alone getting hold of a G&G Green hop rubber. Seems it would be a bit of work and expense to achieve that set up vs cutting the existing barrel down with a pipe cutter. I've already removed the top of the outer barrel so all that would be needed now is carefully cut the existing barrel down using the pipe cutting tool, even without removing it from the gun, then sand the edges of the end and job done. In theory at least.

Comment

I just remove the outer barrel and flash hider and add a King Arms Delta Force supressor (which also needs a threaded adaptor to clear the front end properly or it angles down a bit) when I want to go shorter.

Got the Supressor from Zero One and the adaptor from somewhere else (cost about £30 for both)

Voila, instant shorter barrel and a great "special ops" look to it too!
                          Originally posted by Scotty Dog:
                          I usually just keep a turd in a drop leg holster, then if i'm cornered I just sling it and at least one person will get a faceful. It's great on ammo too, especially if i've had a KFC on the way there.

Comment

I see what you are saying there and not a bad idea but unfortunately no one seems to have these in stock or anything similar for around the same price. Even the International sites seem to be out of stock.

Comment

You can cut the inner barrel - not something I would do personally - but there are a lot of people that have done so with no ill effects.

The metal used on Airsoft barrels can be very soft. Be extremely careful with a pipe cutter as you could exert enough pressure to distort/crush the end of the barrel. Don't forget you will need to re-crown the end of the barrel.

You need the inner to be approx 275mm (measure it to double check) if you do not wish for it to show in the flash hider. You might get a small drop in velocity as a result of reducing the barrel length.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Babyalien Easy going fella, always up for a laugh. Crude sense of humour. Find out more about Babyalien
                              Working...
                              X