Throat mics or headsets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throat mics or headsets?

I'm thinking about getting a coms set up for our team.

I have seen many people with headsets but not many with throat mics. Is there a reason more than the price? What is the quality of the sound really like?
    Any help would be great or just oppinions.

Thanks
    "If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style!"

Re: Throat mics or headsets?

Throat mics are good as they work on the vibrations from your voicebox rather than from the vibrations of the air from your mouth, so you whisper very very quietly (making virtually no noise) and still be heard perfectly, as long as you've got a radio that supports this.

But I found them to be uncomfortable as you have to have them fairly tight agaisnt your throat.

Comment

That's a fair point... Cheers bigdave

I have found a place that do them at a good price, but they also do a 'heavy duty' version with 2 mics. Does anyone know how much of a difference that would make? I would like to buy a couple and try them but that gets expensive.

Comment

could always ask to try at the store :P

Comment

Be aware though, that sometime throat mics wont work on all throats because of the shape, you may have to buy a thing that goes around the outside to make it tighter.

Systema M4A1 PTW | TM P90 | KJW P229

Comment

If throat mics are so stealthy and good then why do the army use bowmans etc and not throat mics

Comment

Because Bowmans are cheaper...

Comment

Fair enough

Comment

i use a devgru throat mic and its the best thing i've used comms wise. provided you position the mic in the right place on your throat, you'll be heard clearer that someone who uses a headset as, like stated in a previous post, it works on the vibrations of your throat, meaning no background noise aka wind, weapons fire, or even the idiot next to you getting eager at the thought of a stealthy kill.
                  sigpic
                  Mercs Boss
                  Armoury:
                  ICS MP5A4 w/ Lighted Forend \ G&P XM177E2 w/M203 \ ZM Weapons Original LR300 \ TM MP7A1 \ TM M1911A1 \ TM P226R

Comment

Yeh... You will get noise though if something rubs on the outside of the throat mic.

Comment

I currently have a throat mic, and am moving to a Bowman. The running on the neck over a full day is annoying!

All depends if you want sneaky comms, or just something to keep track with.

Comment

Clansman - Used to use a throat mic, and that was used in the forces for about 15 years.
                        Having used it - Its uncomfortable, makes it hard to swallow, and has to be damn tight. If its elsatic, eventually these stretch so much they cant be used unless you tie the ends together, and then its even more uncomfortable.
                        Stick with normal headsets, as in airsoft theres not really a need for throat mics

Comment

You could just put a PTT botton onto the throat mic and then when you wish to transmit, squeeze it tight about your neck as you would have it with that elastic thing. Whilst at the same time pushing the PTT button. It's what i do and it works wonders.

Comment

that's great thanks guys a good mix of opinion there... As all things, it seems that each piece of equipment has its pros and cons. At some point you just have to dive in and have a go.
                            I do like the idea of having the PPT on the mic its self and that will push it on for better reception as long as the noise of pushing and holding the mic isn't too much... Oh dear... I'll just shout down a paper cone I think. or have an elaberate system of string and plastic cups.
                            Thanks again Guys

Comment

Personally i think its 100% about what look you are going for.. British Army is Bowman Headset either Tan or Olive depending on desert or woodland DPM, american special forces and british special forces mostly use the acoutic tube (spooks style) ear pieces with either throat mic or sleeve PTT button.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

RAWK Find out more about RAWK
                              Working...
                              X