Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are throat mics any good ?

Hi Guy's
    Im thinking of getting a throat mic but never having used one I have no idea if they are any good.
    Any one that uses one I would apreciate some input.
    Thanks

Si

I believe the only ones that are really worth it are the devgru ones. Not cheap at about £80 though

Comment

Re: Are throat mics any good ?

They can be a bit hit and miss like everything else.

Quality is not necessarily reflected by price but seek out reputable companies in the communications industry. Motorola, Kenwood, etc will be more than adequate for airsofting and should not break the bank.

Comment

I had an Iasus throat mic several years ago, and it was very good, and worked with all the radio's that i had over the time i used it (the mic i had was fitted with a 2 pin connector but you can get a 2 to 1 for single pin radio's).

Reaver
        "I'm three sheets to the wind, and i haven't even left the harbour!"

Comment

To be honest dont waste your money, i had the Iasus and Devgru ones. the devgru ones where replicas of the old US Navy seal type. The sound quality was good but problem with every throat mic is that if it moves 1cm off your vocal cords all the sound will be garbelled. It got to a point that i changed my headset. So you want my honest opinion dont waste your cash. Look at something else.
          Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guy's.
            So I could spend good money and still not have a good radio setup,bugger.
            I guess I will have to re think.I just dont like the idea of the big headsets or the cheap little in ear covert things.

Si

Comment

alot of players where i play use kenwood khs 22, they are small and light with a boom mic not bulky

Comment

Originally posted by Slim2500 View Post
                alot of players where i play use kenwood khs 22, they are small and light with a boom mic not bulky
                That looks more like what I'm after thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

I had some cheapo Binatones and I got some throat mic's from HK,they worked perfectly well and were very cheap.

Comment

I use kenwood throat mics regularly for work and never have a problem. I also use the same one for airsofting. The better the throat mic, the less important placement is as well. Also go for a two mic pickup with a separate earpiece section. That way you'll have two mics working your throat. You see some where the acoustic tube comes out of one side of the throat mic. These versions generally only have one mic and the other side houses the audio speaker. Another thing to consider when getting a combined unit (throat mic and earpiece) is the audio quality. A lot of people bin of their throat mics because they think they're shit when in fact it's someone else's speaker for the earpiece that is duff. You can get a good kenwood one (not designed for military use and more for security operations) for £50 and below if you go second hand. The bonus with throat mics is that they eliminate background noise plus you can general whisper into them and the people at the other end can still hear good quality audio. Of course all of the benefits rely on the people you're talking to have the same quality set up!!!

Comment

And now I dont know what to buy again lol.
                      Thanks for the advice Mike81. Do you have any model numbers etc I should be google'ing

Comment

Had a devgru sniper pro throat mic a while bad - was very good, but I didn't personally get on with it - prefer a boom mic set up.
                        A mate of mine has one as well, and again, very good.

Comment

I think I am swaying towards a light weight boom setup.
                          Knowing me I will probably get both and then decide.
                          At least I now know what to look for in throat and boom setups.

Comment

Originally posted by sigee View Post
                            And now I dont know what to buy again lol.
                            Thanks for the advice Mike81. Do you have any model numbers etc I should be google'ing
                            Yes, but I was talking shit in my original post. I don't have a Kenwood throat mic. I have a Mckay Audio throat mic whit a kenwood pin! The part number for it is 2TM-3001 and I got mine from a company called STS Communications a few years ago. They used to have an eBay shop but have no idea if they're still around. Think it was £70 new and at the time about £40 second hand. I've had mine years and its never failed me. But as I said, it's only as good as the rest of your team.

Comment

My new £15 ebay ones work 100x better than my old £110 ones

Sent from the toilet whilst having a dump

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sigee Find out more about sigee
                              Working...
                              X