Lumens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumens

Is there any limit on what amount of lumens your tac light gives out?
    I have a 200 lumens light/vert grip but I want a seperate light and grip, so I've been looking at the klarus xt11 which is 600 lumens. But not sure if this is too bright or not

Re: Lumens

There probably is a limit, but as light and battery technology gets better, the lumen limit will rise.

You can get lights which boast over 1200 Lumens and such, however, that doesn't make them a better light. The more power hungry the torch is, the faster is going to drain its batteries, and the faster the drop in light will be from the peak. Its also not just how powerful the torch is, but how it uses its light as well.

Ive got a Surefire M600 Scout Light on 3 of my rifles. Its 'only' kicking out 200 lumens, but its a very concentrated, focused beam. There isnt much spillage off. Result, a very crisp clean circle of light, and wherever that circle is is where my rounds are going. Other torches will 'spill' a lot more light, so they will light up a room better perhaps, but there will be less focus on a single point. Some people like this, and it can be good for some situations and such. I personally prefer the more concentrated style.

Some torches allow you to focus the beam as such. My LED Lenser P7 can focus from a very small, tight beam, to a much wider one. Again, both have their merits, depends on the application of the torch.

A more concentrated beam will seem brighter than it is, leading people to think you a running a more powerful torch than you are. 200 Lumes of focused light in somebodies eye will seem worse than 600 lumens being shone in their general direction.

For airsoft, consider what batteries it taking, and how you are going to mount it to a rifle, (if you are), the weight of it and how its activated,

As for it being 'too bright' most sites dont generally have a 'max lumen' count, but some will ban strobe functions.
    sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

That's a good explanation Caldymoose. Thank you

The klarus I was looking has 4 modes. 10/150/600 lumens and strobe. To look at it's pretty much a standard torch length. 15 cm or so.
      I have a vertical grip/ torch at the mo. But would prefer seperate units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

With different modes, probably means you have to cycle through them each time, unless there is a way of setting one mode, then using a momentary on/off switch, or external pressure switch. Your unlikely to want your torch constant on, (at least I don't) and cycling through modes takes time. So that might be something you want to consider.

Its not the length of the torch that will be an issue for most rifles, but the diameter of the torch, as you then have to find a mount to fit it. Or duct tape, depending on how 'gucci' you want your stuff to look.
        sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Gucci yes lol

There a large on/off switch for the constant light, then a smaller switch set back which you press to change the brightness whilst off. Then press and hold to activate strobe. There a pressure switch with 3 buttons too. I'm assuming it works roughly the same. And there is a mount to fit it too. I think it just uses a standard klarus mount. 20mm or so.

I'll have a look next week when I'm at the shop. It's going on a hk 417 so I don't mind the length. Should be proportionate

Comment

I don't know how Klarus make their flashlights, but so long as your happy and comfortable with it then thats all that matters. Most airsoft mounts are 20/30mm. 30mm is a normal 'Aimpoint' red dot sized/style mount, and there are tons to choose from. 20mm mounts can also be found.

417 have large side rails, so yeah your right, it should look proportional! I only went with the SureFire M600 as it was going onto a 416, and I was going for a Zero Dark Thirty style look.

Just make sure you can reach the buttons on the torch comfortably and easily. I don't know what grip your using, or if you use the 'Thumb Break' method or other style. So have a play around before you commit to anything.
            sigpic

Comment

I will do. Thanks for the advice

Where did you put yours? There's not a massive difference between the 416 and 417 rails from what I've seen.

Comment

The rails are the same overall design, but one is designed to mount to a 5.56mm body and encompass a 5.56mm barrel, the other is designed for the 7.62x51. Same design, just a bit bigger, but the actual rails are the same size.

My Surefire is on the right rail, mounted near the front so the bezel is almost in line with the flash hider. I then run the pressure switch over to the left hand side, and the actual pressure pad is tucked into the rail, between the left side and top rail. I have big hands, so the thumb break grip works nicely for me. short vertical grip, and my thumb sits right on the pad when I need it. Then just in front of that, secured to the rail is the pressure pad for my PEQ box. Nice and neat, but works for me.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all that matey. I'll have a play around next week

Comment

Look up Travis Haley's vid about weaponlights on YouTube. It's fantastically informative, and shows that 600 lumens is not neccessarily that effective, and that there is a lot more to torches than just outright power.

Comment

And dont buy ebay special 1000lumen torches.
                      -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                      -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

I use a surefire hellfighter (pic below) at any sites I need the use for a torch and it pumps 3000 ANSI lumens out, im yet to be told I cant use it....

Comment

I wouldn't like to be on the end of that beam x-Ray lol

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Steve8182 Find out more about Steve8182
                          Working...
                          X