Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Would using a .30 BB in a gas pistol damage it in any way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would using a .30 BB in a gas pistol damage it in any way?

Would using a .30 BB in a gas pistol damage it in any way? and what are the pros and cons of using .30s other than straighter firing?

Re: Would using a .30 BB in a gas pistol damage it in any way?

Can't see how it would damage it, I know lots of people who use .28g BBs in their TMs.

Comment

it wont hurt it mate but you wont really see the benefits of using them in a pistol. i like using .25's as you still get the added accuracy over a .20 but it will still spit it out pretty hard. .30's are more for high powered AEG's / low powered snipers

Comment

We run 0.3s as a minimum in our pistols at my place (varying pistols) so answer would be a no it wont damage the gun.

Comment

I have been running .30 BBs in my pistols for at least the last 6 years with no problem, I find they are a bit more stable in flight than lighter BBs.

Curlyboy
          'I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around' Han Solo

Comment

Originally posted by BigZee87 View Post
            it wont hurt it mate but you wont really see the benefits of using them in a pistol. i like using .25's as you still get the added accuracy over a .20 but it will still spit it out pretty hard. .30's are more for high powered AEG's / low powered snipers
            Thanks, I might get some .25s to try

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by curlyboy View Post
            I have been running .30 BBs in my pistols for at least the last 6 years with no problem, I find they are a bit more stable in flight than lighter BBs.

Curlyboy
            Awesome. For some reason I read on a page somewhere that .30s and above "cause gas to get blocked behind the BB due to it's added weight" I thought it sounded like BS

Comment

Yes that is complete bull, BBs are mostly the same size when described as 6mm. I run .3's in my TM/Mike Cripps M1911A1. It goes from 320 fps on .2's to around 270-280ish on .3's. You get the added bonus of people actually feeling/taking their hits when you aim for soft fleshy parts (thighs, face if it's the only visable part etc).

Comment

I know a lot of guys that run the green madbull .36g in their pistols for CQB and I personally use .3g in mine.
                sigpic

Comment

Excellent. Thanks guys unless anybody knows any cons apart from less distance then I'm done here

Comment

Less distance I don't think so, I found .20 goes a certain distance then go anywhere but .30 and heavier follow a more predictable path except outside where wind and other things become a factor.

Curlyboy
                    'I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around' Han Solo

Comment

Heavier BBs do fly further as they retain their energy for longer, but the extra distance is nothing major - perhaps 10 feet or so at 330 fps.

Comment

.3s in a pistol makes sense - in my KSC G18 (on propane) a .2 kicks out at 310fps, a .3 kicks out with the equivalent energy of a .2 at 330fps - 20fps boost, woohooo!
                        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                          .3s in a pistol makes sense - in my KSC G18 (on propane) a .2 kicks out at 310fps, a .3 kicks out with the equivalent energy of a .2 at 330fps - 20fps boost, woohooo!
                          Eh? No. Not a 30fps boost. A bit more energy maybe, but the fps will still be lower. Trying to convert fps/energy from one weight BB to another is a waste of time, as you've amply demonstrated!

No reason you shouldn't use .30 in a pistol. Not sure I see the gain in doing so as the pistol is meant to be a close quarters weapon, and getting there quickly is probably a bit more important than the energy carried, or the accuracy. If you can miss a torso at ten yards then your BB weight is the last of your issues!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobySnacks View Post
                            Eh? No. Not a 30fps boost. A bit more energy maybe, but the fps will still be lower. Trying to convert fps/energy from one weight BB to another is a waste of time, as you've amply demonstrated!
                            If you read he did say "equivalent energy", he's not saying it gives him a boost in FPS. What he was saying is that to achieve the same energy output on .2's you'd need to have 330 FPS.

Velocity isn't that important in CQB, we're talking about distances less than 20 feet. A drop of 30 FPS doesn't matter. Velocity is more important at *shock* range.

Comment

Red, I understand what he's saying, but it doesn't make any sense.

It's not a 20fps boost. It's not even "the equivalent of a 20 fps boost"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Joshcas 1911s and aks ;) Into website design, airsoft, photography and.. planes If you can't get ahold of me on here for some reason feel free to email me at [email protected] Find out more about Joshcas
                              Working...
                              X