DMR...HK417 Vs EBR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMR...HK417 Vs EBR

just thought id ask the forums hand in helping me decide between the two.
    will be use for a dmr (400fps)

aesthetically i'm a fan of both (neither goes with my load out any more then the other) and they both cost about the same.

so far pros and cons wise to mind

the HK417 is smaller, lighter, better balanced and more ergo friendly.

but the mags cost more and the fact the front of the box isn't reinforced and replacement GB shells aint easy to find (as well as other parts) is a worry

on the ebr side iv got the option of the cyma/g&p or g&g (none of which make a bad option from what i recall)

it has cheaper mags, and more common parts but is bigger, longer and heavier (that what she said)

any thoughts ...?
    Head shot aka open minded

Re: DMR...HK417 Vs EBR

The EBR is not a rifle designed for men. It was designed for gorillas genetically engineered by mad scientists in the US Army. Every time I see one I can't decide whether I want to shoot it or build houses with it.

Go with the 417. Your un-hernia'd inguinal canal will thank you.

Comment

I was at a similar point recently, and purchased a HK417 today... let me tell you, it's probably the nicest gun I've held; yet alone fired within the last two years.

The weight is very nice, really well balanced and everything on it is well constructed (apart from the gearbox apparently).

If your even considering getting a 417, just buy one.. they're lovely.

Comment

I dont think your point of the 417's gearbox shell not being massively re-inforced is rally an issue. Bear mind mind, 400 FPS isnt really that high, considering a lot of US sites run FPS limits above that, and you dont see people having to replace their entire gearboxes. A properly shimmed gearbox, combined with a sorbo pad and a tight air seal, you wouldnt need anything more than an M110 spring probably. Yes, 400 FPS will put a bit more strain on everything than a 350 FPS setup, but that extra 50 FPS really wont do much.

I personally love the look of both, 417 is possibly a bit more practical, and maybe a tad easier to work on in terms of disassembly and gearbox work.
        sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Originally posted by CacklingHawk View Post
          The EBR is not a rifle designed for men. It was designed for gorillas genetically engineered by mad scientists in the US Army. Every time I see one I can't decide whether I want to shoot it or build houses with it.

Go with the 417. Your un-hernia'd inguinal canal will thank you.
          that actually made me laugh out load. iv handle one before though so im aware an ample amount of manly-ness is required to skirmish one

Originally posted by Caldymoose View Post
          I dont think your point of the 417's gearbox shell not being massively re-inforced is rally an issue. Bear mind mind, 400 FPS isnt really that high, considering a lot of US sites run FPS limits above that, and you dont see people having to replace their entire gearboxes
          seeing a few people on forums crying over they smashed front GB is what caused my worry, i hadnt event considered that until then. but i think most were US sites so like you said likely running a high fps then we do

Comment

Having owned a full length TM/G&P EBR in the past, I can say it's not much fun to haul about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post

seeing a few people on forums crying over they smashed front GB is what caused my worry, i hadnt event considered that until then. but i think most were US sites so like you said likely running a high fps then we do
              I wouldn't worry too much, I've not really heard of that happening. I do like the 417, just no place in my armoury for one right now. I'm willing to bet that most of those people who have broken their gearboxes have done so after tinkering with them and making a mess of it. Trying to use far stronger springs than needed, not shimming the gears properly and what not. If there was a major issue with gearboxes breaking, its the kinda thing I think VFC would have done something about. It's unlikely to be a major issue, they will have made thousands of them!

400 FPS really isn't much at all. Nice tight bore barrel, decent hop rubber, very good air seal, maybe even a non ported piston. All that together, heck, you could even get away with an M100 potentially. Which is, pretty much, a stock strength spring.
              sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

Just bought an EBR-L.

Firing at 420fps.

It's a beast and I love it!

Comment

I've an EBR and I've skirmished it three times consecutively at GZW. I can feel a heart attack comin'. I'd go with 417. It's a HK, what other reason do you need? :D
                  Don't forget to submit feedback! http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php

Comment

well i am siding more with the hk417 now even though the weight of the EBR doesnt really worry me (i carry my fat nephew around the park for practice)

in regards to EBR's though, has any one got any experience with the cyma offering ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                      well i am siding more with the hk417 now even though the weight of the EBR doesnt really worry me (i carry my fat nephew around the park for practice)

in regards to EBR's though, has any one got any experience with the cyma offering ?
                      Played with a friend's. It shoots like any other AEG. I really liked the feel, besides from the aforementioned weight. It's solid like you could pound nails with it. You probably can't, of course, but it does give that impression.

*Unbeknownst to Bane, we have replaced his M14 EBR with a four hundred pound live bear. Let's see if he notices.*

"...you guys? Did you do something to the rail system?...Like is the rail system plastic now? Oh I've got it, folding stock. Yeah, I think I like it better now."

Comment

I've got the cyma EBR I love it, I think it makes the 417 look very meh, but beauty is in the eye etc etc.
                        Mags are cheap and easily found I got 3 100 round mids new for 30 quid.
                        Tm compatability is a plus for upgrades. Bit on the heavy side but hey its a good work out, and the shorter barrel (420mm) isn't too much of a pain to move around with.

Comment

417 its a vfc so expect to upgrade as it breaks , fit a Lonex gearbox if the vfc one cracks and job done !

Comment

Hmm, might want a pinch of salt with that...

Happy to be corrected, but Lonex don't make a suitable gearbox to replace the VFC proprietary gearbox they created for the 417.

As for the slight on VFC quality. No issues with either my 417 or 416 in that respect.
                            Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
                            Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bane Find out more about Bane
                            Working...
                            X