Where to mount night vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to mount night vision?

Hello all, I have a question that I would like your opinions on, I'm looking on the old tinternet at night vision and I can't decide what would the best way to use night vision in airsoft, helmet mounted that drops down or a rail mounted night vision rifle scope I'm very interested in getting some and if I was to buy head mounted NV then I would most likely use it out of airsoft too but my concern is that from what I can see is that a rail mounted NV rifle scope is better than head mounted NV of the same price.

Do I go for head mounted for the fact that I could use them for other
    Stuff or do I go for better quality (for the same price) and get the scope?

Also do you guys see any disadvantages (in terms of airsoft) of having a rail mounted scope NV instead of head mounted?
    sigpic

Re: Where to mount night vision?

The main disadvantage I can see is that you'll have to have your rifle glued to your face to see anything - fine if your a marksman prone 40 yards from enemy in the pitch dark, not so great if your a door kicking superhero - your arms will get very tired!
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Other things to consider are the weight of the head mounted gear which will be on you all the time, plus no depth perception while wearing them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated, unless youre in a fixed position with some range and a limited fire arc; go helmet mounted.

Rifle mounted is fine to a degree, but you have no peripheral vision and cant move quickly. They also suffer the same depth of field issues, and are harder to adjust as you need it to your eye and then one hand to adjust. Bit of an arse with a heavy rifle (which it will be with NV attached).

Helmet mounted is better. There is the depth of field issue, but that is just par for the course with NV tech in general unless you have stupid amounts to spend on Gen 3+ (and good luck getting hold of it, given its still a federal offense to let a non-US citizen look through it, let alone own it; and no-one elses kit will match it bar the stuff our boys have on tighter lockdown than a nuns pants). Its heavy, but will balance with the battery and counterweight on the back. Whats most important is getting a really solid helmet with good fittings and more importantly that it fits properly.

Its my main purchase plan for this year coming. Either PVS14's or some Anvis if i can find them at a solid price.

But seriously, get a decent helmet.
        AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

I saw a guy who mounted £300 Yukon binos (without magnification) to a helmet and that worked a treat.

Comment

Helmet mounted NV with IR laser mounted on rifle for easier aiming.

Comment

Is there a thread here suggesting which NV to buy? I can't find it...

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                The main disadvantage I can see is that you'll have to have your rifle glued to your face to see anything - fine if your a marksman prone 40 yards from enemy in the pitch dark, not so great if your a door kicking superhero - your arms will get very tired!
                That's a great point mate, wi would only use them in CQB or urban anyways not woodland so going on your point head mounted would be better.

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
                Other things to consider are the weight of the head mounted gear which will be on you all the time, plus no depth perception while wearing them.

Another good point, I would be using them with a fast helmet I could use something to counter the weight at the back but Iv got to have the weight on my head or gun anyway so at the moment I'm leaning towards head mounted.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Fenriz View Post
                As stated, unless youre in a fixed position with some range and a limited fire arc; go helmet mounted.

Rifle mounted is fine to a degree, but you have no peripheral vision and cant move quickly. They also suffer the same depth of field issues, and are harder to adjust as you need it to your eye and then one hand to adjust. Bit of an arse with a heavy rifle (which it will be with NV attached).

Helmet mounted is better. There is the depth of field issue, but that is just par for the course with NV tech in general unless you have stupid amounts to spend on Gen 3+ (and good luck getting hold of it, given its still a federal offense to let a non-US citizen look through it, let alone own it; and no-one elses kit will match it bar the stuff our boys have on tighter lockdown than a nuns pants). Its heavy, but will balance with the battery and counterweight on the back. Whats most important is getting a really solid helmet with good fittings and more importantly that it fits properly.

Its my main purchase plan for this year coming. Either PVS14's or some Anvis if i can find them at a solid price.

But seriously, get a decent helmet.
                That's some fantastic info and a great help, I think I will have to go helmet mounted! Is something that I have wanted for a long time now and was thinking last night that I have an extremely reliable gun now and all my kit is fine so why not lol

I saw a guy who mounted £300 Yukon binos (without magnification) to a helmet and that worked a treat.

I was looking at the Yukon 1x24 bino's, they look decent and I will get an IR filter for my torch.

I much prefer the idea of using both eyes through binos and not having to close my left eye all the time through a monocular.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a thread here suggesting which NV to buy? I can't find it...

I'm not asking for any specific NV, I'm asking what way to mount the NV.
                sigpic

Comment

I was asking what set to get mate - I want some nvgs now! Sorry bit of a hijack wasn't it but I thought one of the posters might be able to show me the way lol.

Comment

I think the biggest problem with NV is how often youll actually use it. Unless youre playing 24hr events at least 3 or 4 times a year, you wont get more than one or two 3/4hr night games out of it.

And at this point you have to work out which end of the scale you want to go to. You can buy a cheap set for maybe £300. Its not bad, will do the job at a pinch. But at a 24hr event youll get utterly outclassed and will likely be better off just taking a torch. In most situations with cheap NV youd be better off with the torch anyway. Itl rapidly become wasted money in my opinion.

Its why im saving for something a little more substancial. Gen 2+/3. PVS7/PVS14 would be the one id want to go for. Not cheap mind. £1000 to start. Unless you get really lucky on some PVS7s. And then youll need a helmet and mounts.
                    AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

I was asking what set to get mate - I want some nvgs now! Sorry bit of a hijack wasn't it but I thought one of the posters might be able to show me the way lol.

Oh right lol Yukon don't seem bad for a usable cheap set £200-350 and can be found on eBay.

Originally posted by Fenriz View Post
                      I think the biggest problem with NV is how often youll actually use it. Unless youre playing 24hr events at least 3 or 4 times a year, you wont get more than one or two 3/4hr night games out of it.

And at this point you have to work out which end of the scale you want to go to. You can buy a cheap set for maybe £300. Its not bad, will do the job at a pinch. But at a 24hr event youll get utterly outclassed and will likely be better off just taking a torch. In most situations with cheap NV youd be better off with the torch anyway. Itl rapidly become wasted money in my opinion.

Its why im saving for something a little more substancial. Gen 2+/3. PVS7/PVS14 would be the one id want to go for. Not cheap mind. £1000 to start. Unless you get really lucky on some PVS7s. And then youll need a helmet and mounts.
                      I do understand what your saying I do at least 2-3 weekenders a year but as if decided to go head/helmet mounted I will be using them for other an airsoft.

My budget was going to be around £500 but after what you have just said I need to either double that or at least add a hundred quid to it, I don't want to buy some that are ok and then want better later down the road.
                      sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lt3033 Find out more about Lt3033
                      Working...
                      X