GBB Failing on you in the cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBB Failing on you in the cold.

Hi all, I just realised how much of a downer it is when you have a GBB pistol or rifle fail on you in these colder months. My TM MP7 and the GHK G5 didn't seem too affected but my TM Glock was just not having it. It's been like this for a while and having to rack the slide every time like a springer is a huge disappointment. I'm sure this has been down to the colder weather but it hasn't been feeding too well for a while (I could do with a new pistol to be fair). It surely is annoying though. Anybody have some secrets when dealing with GBB in the cold? If this is more suitable in the 'advice & new players' section then could admins please move the thread.

Re: GBB Failing on you in the cold.

TMs are normally pretty good, I would get a slightly more powerful gas. If I remember from the other thread you use 144a at the moment, when it's this cold Abbey Ultra is better. Other than that, just keeping mags warm is the best you can do.

Comment

It probably is the wrong place for this type of thread...

However... I may suggest that your pistol has some issues more than the cold! I've played the last few weeks in the cold (although not in the minus') and ran my stock TM Glock, and it didn't miss a beat! Got 1 mag off of my normal mags and a mag and a half off of mine with gas routers.

That's with Red gas - which is the most powerful I'd use with stock TM guns.

What gas are you using? If it's 144a, then try red gas!

Comment

I've been using the ultra for the time being, in all my GBB's. Even in the summer my pistol had some problems feeding and such but now its basically became a springer. I believe it has something to do with the loading nozzle, it is all lubed up so I can't see a lack of oil being a problem. Is there any way I could move the thread myself?

Comment

Don't worry about removing the thread mate..

And have you completely stripped it and oiled the individual parts? That would be my recommendation! Failing that, it probably wants looking at!

Like I say, mine runs fine with Ultra in this weather.

Comment

Thanks Wilkes. I'll give it a good stripdown soon enough. Also, with gas rifle mags (PMAG style) can you just spray silicone into the follower area or wipe it to get rid of grime etc, it was a bit muddy and then I encountered jams. Not good :S

Comment

It may help! Mine didn't completely cycle when I got it, and just stripped every part and gave it a good grease and oil - just following a youtube guide.

I've not got much experience with gas m4 mags, but if they have crud inside the mags which is causing jams etc, then I'd again suggest stripping them down and cleaning them

Comment

Thanks once again!

Comment

Uncle monkeys GBB in the cold guide

warm the mags up in pockets, the running around will hopefully generate enough warm

Move to a slightly more powerful gas. lower power gasses are a mixture of butane and propane..mostly, move towards something with more propane, if its below 10.c i use pure propane. The reasons your GBB performs worse in the cold is under pressure the gasses we use for airsoft condense to form a liquid. To form a gas, this reaction needs heat (endothermic reaction). Less heat less gas more liquid..Hence the plumes of white you see on some lower end guns and or on freezing days.

extended mags, more gas more bang. Also the stickey out bit you can either warm with your hands, or stick a heat pack too, eg one of those boil in the bag things.

careful what oils you use, pure silocone is fine, cheapey cheerful has other things that gum up bits of your gun and create all manner of pain and misery.

go electirc. AEP's are often crap, but if you can get an AEP glock to replace your GBB glock for the colder months then why not, same gun, same holsters etc...

Accept the inescapable truth that GBB in the cold is never going to be as good as GBB in the warm.
                  -'Sly villain! Thou does not acknowledge thine hits!'
                  -'I doth so, yonder vagabond, but thouest has the control of a nunnery whore, and thine accuracy doth compare to thine codpiece, short of the mark!'

Comment

I've heard of some people keeping heat pads (like the ones you have for bad back or muscle pain) on their mags to keep them warm and apparently that works well
                    sigpic

Comment

Have you left the magazines out in the cold for an extended period of time?

is the gun clean inside?

Use silicon oil rather than silicon spray

try to keep the gun itself as warm as possible. Thats where all the important gas flowing seals are

Comment

I'm thinking of taping some heat pads to the mags the next time I skirmish, just for better gas efficiency. I clean all my GBB's after every 2 skirmishes and I'll be sure to get some silicon oil, I've been using this spray stuff that I got from my local range. Thanks for all the feedback, it really helps!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                        X