Opening an airsoft site / field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening an airsoft site / field

Hi, I'm planning on opening an airsoft site to the public, I have my own land (field) however would I need planning permission for change of land use. Or would I not ?

Many thanks

Re: Opening an airsoft site / field

Depends if you plan to set up a business or just mean you fancy having few more people playing, if its for business purposes you will need to change the land usage, get insurance, provide facility's and first aid, meet numerous legal requirement. If its just for a bit of fun then everyone just needs to be a consenting player, follow reasonable personal protection, and make sure your far enough away from the public!
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Comment

Thanks you for the quick reply, our location is rural, i have meadows one small meadow as the car park and a bigger meadow as the actually site. we have one neighbour, the other side of the road and one other side of the car park, im not sure if that would be an issue, however i am planning on putting safety netting with a fence around the perimeter

Comment

Probably a good idea to consult with the local Plod to get their thoughts/objections.

Comment

it is dependant on how much you use the land as to planning permission I suggest you make it a bio site as that gains you many brownie points with the local planning dept.
          remember not to use tyres as they cost £1.50 each to remove if you decide to leave the site
          uber noob !!

Comment

Thanks for the info ive spoken to the environmental agency, and they said, if i have no intention of developing or constructing, i probably wont need planning.

Bio site, does that come under using biodegradable bbs and so thorth?

Comment

If you intend to charge people to use the site your will need a change of use, public liability insurance, some basic toilet facilities, and whole host of other things. Things to consider,
              Is the safe zone, safe will bbs get in it. Will it be covered or have tables etc, who is your competition in the area and who are you aiming your site at.
              A field is a basic area, what barricades etc are going to provide is there natural cover that can be used or built up, what games will you be able to play on the land and the list keeps going. Will there be hire guns or a small shop to seel BB's, grenades etc.
              You need to look at all these things and make a realistic costings sheet, when I set up my site I the initial costs reached £7k and I had very little building work to do, I spent a further 3/4k in the following months. Better radios for the staff, more hire guns more BB's in stock. You then need to do a financial forecast, will £10 a head spread of 20 players a week cover costs or do you need to charge £20, will people pay £20 to be on your site will get 20 people a week.
              The other option is to make a club and people pay a sub to be in the club and all help to make the site.
              "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
              Life in the fast lane........
              sigpic

Comment

thanks for the info pacey, i have toilets fully installed, with clean drinking water, i will apply a 6 ft fence with camo netting around all areas, to stop bbs and stop the view from the public, i will hopefully have gun hire in the safe zone, which is all in a separate field, any info on that would be most appreciated.

Comment

I would say a surrounding net needs to be higher than 6 ft. It's not unrealistic to expect stray shots or over hopped RIFs lifting it over 6ft. Almost all netting ive seen is about 15ft tall.

You will probably also want to put notices around the perimeter stating the areas is used for airsoft games and that it is private property.
                  Upcoming Games:
                  None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                  Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Mickydoos View Post
                    I would say a surrounding net needs to be higher than 6 ft. It's not unrealistic to expect stray shots or over hopped RIFs lifting it over 6ft. Almost all netting ive seen is about 15ft tall.

You will probably also want to put notices around the perimeter stating the areas is used for airsoft games and that it is private property.
                    so would that be just normal camo netting ?

Comment

As I said dude, before you commit any money or tie your self in to doing things like 100's of metres of fencing, work out the fundamentals of the business. How much are you going to put in, when do you expect to get that back and when will your be making profit. A safe zone build was covered here before christmas, but the break down was, people want secure safe and usable areas for their gear, will you have lockers for money/phones to be put in, will it be covered. Airsofters don't like rain and dislike it even more if they can get out of it when they done with playing soldiers.
                      Going back to the field, is it just a flat field if so you will need to look at construction of structures or buildings. These will add further costs on. I know all I'm talking about is money, but if you don't spend it don't expect the players to either.

- - - Updated - - -

Camo netting will let BB's through, I use doubled over building debris netting, like you see on the side of scaff pole. Its not cheap though unless you can ask nicely after a job finnishes and the firm don't want it back.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pacey View Post
                        As I said dude, before you commit any money or tie your self in to doing things like 100's of metres of fencing, work out the fundamentals of the business. How much are you going to put in, when do you expect to get that back and when will your be making profit. A safe zone build was covered here before christmas, but the break down was, people want secure safe and usable areas for their gear, will you have lockers for money/phones to be put in, will it be covered. Airsofters don't like rain and dislike it even more if they can get out of it when they done with playing soldiers.
                        Going back to the field, is it just a flat field if so you will need to look at construction of structures or buildings. These will add further costs on. I know all I'm talking about is money, but if you don't spend it don't expect the players to either.

- - - Updated - - -

Camo netting will let BB's through, I use doubled over building debris netting, like you see on the side of scaff pole. Its not cheap though unless you can ask nicely after a job finnishes and the firm don't want it back.

Good point, the field is flat however, there is alot of long grass and a few trees, i will as a plus point be planting trees on site, there will be benches with plenty of shelter cover. my main plan is to start off with charging low costs and slow build up with popularity, then start charging more when site is alot more improved, if that makes sense.

Comment

With Planning you can use the land for no more than 28 days a year without permission after that it gets very expensive dependent on the LDP written by the LA's Planning department
                          Opinions are like ar**holes, everyone has one.

Usually found being very unimpressed by a lot of players, but gets a pleasant surprise when they actually have a clue on a game day.

Comment

ok, is it hard to change use of land?

Comment

It all depends on what the land is designated as, where its situated and whether or not the eco-bunnies find your idea offensive or not. Our planning process over here is layer after layer of red tape and BS and money talks. Not certain about you but your county council would be the people to approach.
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

avaughan Find out more about avaughan
                              Working...
                              X