Tight Bore or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight Bore or not.

What is the consensus of opinion when it comes to bore size.
    I'm hearing that people are going away from a tight bore size to a larger bore.
    This apparently creates a vortex of air around the bb rather than having the bb come into contact with the bore.
    Distance, accuracy...I don't know, so putting it out there.
    sigpic
    "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Re: Tight Bore or not.

I think there is a thread on the whole science of this I remember reading if you really look hard.

From what I remember, anything smaller than 6.3 is no good on longer barrels. If you have an M4 standard length I think the best option is the 6.3 but I really can't remember.

Comment

About to purchase G&G SR25, 6.03 standard which I was thinking of leaving in place.
      sigpic

Comment

I would mate. The hop is generally something that will make the biggest difference. Quality hop is always the best place to start when modding your gun but try it out mate and you might find it's totally fine as it is.

Comment

Thanks, the guys I'm buying from recommended that aswell.
          Also spring (sniper), mozy etc.
          sigpic

Comment

I always try to keep around a .05 difference between BB size and and IB ID (accounting for tollerances of both), so to use a 5.98 BB and around a 6.04 barrel, and have found that to give consistant results, didn't really see the point in using a tightbore and small bore BB's when you can acheive the same result (in theory) using larger of both?

- to actually add something to the post, that I'm aware of there arent any "real" scientific studies to show ballistics of and airsoft gun.

Comment

Systema have stated that a tight bore of less than 6.04mm causes excessive bouncing which can lead to accuracy issues. I'd link the article but it has disappeared off their website. Tanio Koba followed this idea with his twist barrel that essentially limits the bouncing to 6 possible exit points at the end of a barrel (in comparison to hundreds from a TBB). A simple google search will yield this image from another airsoft forum:

Other barrels such as Orga Wide Bore barrels go on the premise that the air surrounds the BB reducing the bouncing. It could all be bullsh*t, but it's hard to see inside a metal tube with objects flying at 100 m/s.

Most of it is opinion, as the majority of people who post in this thread will only post from their experiences, prejudices and what they heard elsewhere from other people. The science behind airsoft always creates controversy, I believe it's caused by people having a very limited understanding of physics.

Either way, I'd take my advice from Systema than users on this forum about barrels. Then again I don't use AEGs and my Orga wide bore barrels work fine, despite their price.

Comment

I thought one of the best all rounders was 6.08?

Comment

below 6.03 and it means you need really good bb's , fine you say " i only use X brand BB's " but then's the day you run out and have no option but to get the sites own super grade BB's (mostly hexagonal) and it all goes south .

Comment

I have LCT tight bore barrels in both my LCT AKM and Classic Army G36k. - both are 363mm barrels at a diameter of 6.02

The AK is definitely a sharp shooter with range to match and is factory stock. The 36 is factory but I originally tried a madbull python v.2 which was a 6.08 and certainly nothing to brag about but was a slight improvement over the factory barrel - since upgrading to the LCT 6.02 barrel it is far more accurate and produces a further shot on par with the LCT with no issues using the sites chosen ammunition.

I prefer them in my rifles and notice range and accuracy improves over all. - that's my two cents worth.

I use .25 blaster bbs consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by tomson2912882 View Post
                      The 36 is factory but I originally tried a madbull python v.2 which was a 6.08 and certainly nothing to brag about but was a slight improvement over the factory barrel.
                      A small tangent maybe, but I thought the Black Python V2 only came in 6.03? On a related note, I've had brilliant results with the python in my MP5 - however they can be quite picky with hop units, as they are slightly smaller than standard barrels on the outside (floss mod / ptfe tape is your friend)

Comment

The most accurate tight bore barrels I've used have been 6.05's from PDI. Then again, that might also have something to do with production tolerances and concentricity that other manufacturers can only dream about...

Comment

Originally posted by brooxy View Post
                          A small tangent maybe, but I thought the Black Python V2 only came in 6.03? On a related note, I've had brilliant results with the python in my MP5 - however they can be quite picky with hop units, as they are slightly smaller than standard barrels on the outside (floss mod / ptfe tape is your friend)
                          I'm pretty sure you're correct there. I have a Madbull in my G&G and that is a 6.03mm. I find you need to use Madbull rubbers and as you said the PTFE tape mod. I'd say the Madbull improved grouping and range by a few metres.
                          Upcoming Games:
                          None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                          Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Originally posted by brooxy View Post
                            You Sir, are correct. I mistyped!

Comment

I currently have a Deep Fire 6.02 stainless barrel and it's pretty damn accurate - it has however shown a tendency to get fussy on bottles of ammo that have been open for more than a month or two, which is not ideal at all.

I'm getting an Ultimate (read Lonex) 6.03 stainless as a few threads I came across on various forums said that they are as good as madbull barrels but made out of steel, not the high performance plastic (aluminium) that Madbull make theirs out of. As both of these will be going in uppers with pro-win hop units I shall therefore be able to do a direct comparison, which I am looking forward to
                              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Viper Scout Find out more about Viper Scout
                              Working...
                              X