• Show
Clear All

• Turning a RPK into a DMR or Tactical RPK

Hi Guys
    I was wondering your views on turning a RPK into a tactical rpk
    or tuning a RPK into a DMR.

so a few questions and your views ?

1. Has it been done ?
    2. what would you think it would look like.
    3. what parts would it need ?
    4. if you have done it share your pics

Re: Turning a RPK into a DMR or Tactical RPK

First question is why?

To my knowledge, all sites that allow DMR platforms insist on them being semi-automatic. I can't help but think it would be a waste on an RPK when the same result could be achieved with an AK.

It would be easy enough, slick it to semi (fiddle with the electrical contacts on the selector plate), fit a tight bore barrel and ensure you have a good quality hop up and rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by loki7491 View Post
      Sod it, why not .Go for it

Comment

for DMR, stick a scope on it.
        for tactical, rails, lots and lots of rails.

in all seriousness though, for a DMR would look something like an SVD i imagine, apart form the stock, and probably magazine (never had an ak, don't know if SVD mags would fit a standard ak)

as something tactical, would probably look ok if you used the same rail system as on the Beta project aK's and had it all black, removed the standard bipod and fitted a harris style one etc, just 'modern' it up a bit
        For Sale!
        TM M870 with a load of stuff
        A&K massada sniper spec
        Chronograph
        leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

the reason why is i have never seen a tactical version of the RPK .. like a updated modern version if you get my drift
          and the dmr view is mainly because can it be done .. because it already a long slim line support weapon ..

- - - Updated - - -

i was thinking if you take the bipod off the barrel and chuck a ris system on it and add a pistol grip and a tactical bipode .. then change the stock to a retractable stock .. that could look ok lol

Comment

I am not against the idea per sé.

It's just that the RPK is a rare beast on the battlefield. I think it would be a shame to limit it in the same manner that it would be a shame to limit the use of an M249.

In terms of "different" it would be pretty cool.

Long tight bore
            Decent hop set up
            Either the AK style side mounted scope mount or the picatinny top cover addition (or possibly one of the Russian style optics)

The bipods and length would lend them self to a long range weapon.

Could some of the AK beta Spetznaz short mags fit the RPK? They would add to the over all DMR thing of assault / sniper crossover.

You would have to get the biggest battery it could take though. Firing on semi only always draws more battery that in bursts or auto as all momentum is lost in the motor after each shot.

Comment

Yeah that was sort of the same thing ...

the other thing is that the RPK is known as the bad guy weapon .. How could it be changed to be a good guy weapon if you get my drift ..

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure how much furniture is AK compatible. I have an AK RIS system knocking around somewhere. It replaces the upper and lower wooden furniture at the front and also shrouds some of the body giving you plenty of RIS real estate.

Of course, if they are not compatible that set up is pointless.

From there, perhaps changing the stock?? I would avoid Magpul based solely on the fact it is Magpul, but some kind of modern polymer stock would bring it up to date. Thinking along the WE PMC GBBR sort of lines.

Comment

hmmm ... i like your thinking lol
                  how much would the ris kit cost ?
                  after compareing a few things im sure it iis possible to mod it to fit a ris :P

Comment

This is the rail I have.

Not sure if I want to part with it, it more of a inspiration thing.

Comment

hmm i think i have seen one of them lol
                      i may have to place a small order lol

Comment

Just wondering but why do 'most sites' only allow Dmr's locked onto semi or is that just for people who have built a DMR and put a ji power sping into it (not sure why you'd do that though) ?

Also i too have considerd making an RPK DMR simply because apart from a scope its already one :-) but i like your idea of putting rails onto it and to add to that i have seen a custom gunsmith make a full ris AK using a rail bolted to the top receiver and a G36 ris forgrip on the front end.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

They are locked to semi for two reasons.

1. Safety - they are allowed a higher fps (400 - 450 as a rule of thumb - we allow 450) so not being able to burst someone with a hot rifle is a good thing. We also impose a 15m minimum engagement distance.

2. Good old fashioned realism.

Comment

But i thought the whole point of a DMR was so you had a rifle that was almost a sniper but still has full auto/burst capabilities begging the question why put a stronger spring in?and why allow them to have higher fps?

And correct me if im wrong but i thought that rs DMR's still retained there full auto
                            Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

The point of a DMR is a higher rate of fire over a sniper, it eliminates the whole stage of racking the bolt and so a few shots can be fired a second. This is slower than a standard infantry rifle on full auto which is around 15rps-ish but there's no need to contend with recoil which would throw the trajectory way off course for the kinds of shots intended for a DMR.
                              Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                              big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

poacher2k ex - front line infantry Find out more about poacher2k
                              Working...
                              X