Airsoft guns as educational tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airsoft guns as educational tools

Hi guys. I have a quick question for you.

Earlier today I gave a firearms handling and safety talk to a class of third year forensic scientists (of which I am included) at my local University. After confirming with my tutor it was safe to do so, I brought my replica guns to the classroom and taught how to make a weapon safe should it be found in a crime scene (usually the experts are left to it, but there may be some situations where this knowledge is useful).

This got me thinking: how effective are airsoft guns as a means of education? I personally found them to be invaluable. I only had my SCAR-H and black Desert Eagle to bring, but they were excellent for demonstrating how firearm actions cycle and work as firearms safety is universal across all weapons. Simple methods such as removing the magazine, trigger discipline emphasis and cycling the slide to clear the chamber were more effective in conveying my message than any lecture slide.

What is your opinion? Do you think that, due to the realistic construction of these guns, they can be useful in a professional capacity? We haven't got handguns or automatic weapons here, so airsoft guns were perfect.

Re: Airsoft guns as educational tools

I don't know much about real firearms, never held one, but my opinion is on a basic level yes, as you said about the removing the mag, safety, how the slide works as well as trigger discipline. However not all airsoft rifles operate the same way as real rifles, i'm talking about the bolt release and charging handle, so in some ways it seems helpful and others its not. Good alternative though.
    For Sale
    Madbull Landmine / Black Hellstorm Gloves / DPM South African Assault Vest

Comment

they shouldnt be touching them, so i dont see the advantage, a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing
      Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

Originally posted by bob86 View Post
        they shouldnt be touching them, so i dont see the advantage, a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing
        Indeed you're right. Firearms in situ are recovered and made safe by police and ballistics experts. But as SOCO trainee's (Scenes of Crime officer), one of us in the classroom is going to be presented with a firearm at one point. It's best to teach people which is the dangerous end and at least to keep their fingers off the triggers. I can't tell if some daft idiot will walk up and go 'oooh look at this gun, I'm gonna pick it up and piss about with it', but it's good that they've at least had some hands-on experience with guns now.

As Vex said, some airsoft guns operate differently to their real life counterparts. With the SCAR and Desert Eagle though, they're the same.

Comment

completely misunderstood this thread , i though maybe using them to keep discipline in class or perhaps shooting students who give incorrect answers , you'r idea's probably better

Comment

The idea is sound. I can say this with confidence because I know for a fact that the military and various police forces around the country along with other professional organisations are using airsoft based platforms for training. Not only are they using them for the basic "dangerous end / safe end" sort of stuff, but they are also using them for more advanced training.

If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for you! (Without wanting to sound condescending)

Comment

Good idea, as said it works with some guns like a GBB pistol. What would be even better is a plug fire cap gun since you're able to demonstrate rounds cycling, clearing the gun etc. (Or I guess a blank gun for that matter)

Comment

Moderation Notice: Keep it on topic.

Comment

Any more off topic discussion will result in infractions being handed out.

Enough warnings now.

Comment

I can see very rudimentary benefits of using airsoft guns as educational tools, providing the student knows absolutely nothing about firearms.
                    As far as education is concerned I can't imagine it going any further than "This goes in here and here's how you remove it." and "Don't touch this or this."

As training and handling tools their worth is a little higher, but not by much.

Comment

Originally posted by RiflemanLizard View Post
                      I can see very rudimentary benefits of using airsoft guns as educational tools, providing the student knows absolutely nothing about firearms.
                      As far as education is concerned I can't imagine it going any further than "This goes in here and here's how you remove it." and "Don't touch this or this."

As training and handling tools their worth is a little higher, but not by much.
                      You're quite right. To those with firearms knowledge an airsoft gun is of little use, but for those who have no experience I personally think they can be very useful. It's better to get a bit more hands on that to just read about it.

Comment

I can see what your trying to do...but.....couldn't this also lead to a false sense of security and increase the chance of a person picking up the firearm when they should just leave it to the trained professionals?
                        KJW KP-08 - g&g scar l - we g23 - kwa vector - g&g tr4 cqb-s

VOA is a combat multiplier. When engaging an opponent, or engaged by an opponent, the immediate application of extreme violence lends a ferocious momentum forward that is irresistible.

Comment

Originally posted by theagitater View Post
                          I can see what your trying to do...but.....couldn't this also lead to a false sense of security and increase the chance of a person picking up the firearm when they should just leave it to the trained professionals?
                          Possibly, but if someone is going to pick a firearm up at a crime scene then they're going to do it regardless of if they've been taught about firearms or not. SOCO's know what evidence to take and how to handle it, and it'd be negligence of their forensic training that'd lead them to pick up a gun as opposed to a safety talk that shown them how guns work. It'd be the same with explosives, the first thing we're taught to do is leave it to professionals.

Anyway this thread is not about my speech, it's about the educational value of airsoft guns, like the advantages or disadvantages to using them as demonstration tools.

Comment

Originally posted by loki7491 View Post
                            The idea is sound. I can say this with confidence because I know for a fact that the military and various police forces around the country along with other professional organisations are using airsoft based platforms for training. Not only are they using them for the basic "dangerous end / safe end" sort of stuff, but they are also using them for more advanced training.

If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for you! (Without wanting to sound condescending)
                            For these sorts of agencies they are great. They can use them in place of simunition type systems, without having to use the heavy protective masks, and the other safety issues.

For the application discussed by OP, I can see issues with the underlying principle, but if the training has to take place, then I can't think of anything much better than airsoft guns. I can see an argument for blank firers/PFC guns, but they don't do anything much better than airsoft guns in that setting. so why not airsoft if that's whats available?
                            Not actually a builder
                            Not actually called Bob.

Comment

It's also worth remembering that gun crime in the UK never takes place with a DE. 50 or a ScarH etc. This grade of weaponry isn't particularly relevant for obvious reasons.
                              It might be worth borrowing an old deactivated (therefore safe) side-by-side shotgun or a cheap and low grade hunting rifle. They would be much more relevant, being readily available and frequently used in violent crime.

In any case; would touching and clearing a weapon not count as contaminating a crime scene? I can't see the police taking a liking to it. Even by wearing gloves you're rubbing, touching and moving things around; details that might be relevant to a police investigation?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kodiak TM gun nut Find out more about Kodiak
                              Working...
                              X