Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD for project gun

Hi all,

I was wondering if anywhere knows anywhere to examine or download or anyone who has a CAD (not the official blueprints as I don't think that is legal :-/) but a user made reasonable facsimile of a sig 552? The upper receiver at least? My poor Sig had an unfortunate accident and would probably cost as much to fix as it would to purchase a new one which I am going to do, but the lower reciever, gearbox and stock barrel etc all work so the gun does fire it just looks awful without its top half so I thought I would use this as a project gun, make a new body and jam some funky electronics (which is my profession) into it. CAD is not my strong suit so modelling it from scratch would be an unpleasant task at best, or a complete disaster at worst! Any help at all would be appreciated!

many thanks

AJ

Re: CAD for project gun

To be honest a plastic 3D printed receiver would be quite weak structurally, have a rough finish that would need a lot of work to get to a nice standard, and would be very expensive, not to mention very difficult to draw up on a CAD package without any template or data to use as a guide. What brand of SIG is it? I'm sure you'd be able to get a new receiver for it somewhere, especially with the different brands of SG552 out there - companies like ICS (for example, not sure who makes your 552) could probably get the parts if you contacted them direct.

Comment

Thank you for your response, this isn't the first hardware project I have been involved with (just never worked with airsoft guns). I have access to enough equipment with sufficient resolution for a sufficiently low cost so that isn't a problem, If designed properly and printed with ABS I don't see how it would be any less structurally sound than a standard plastic upper receiver especially if re-enforced with other materials (ESPECIALLY as it is possible to rapid prototype receivers for actual firearms) this would essentially be a shell not load bearing or mechanical in any way. As I said I wasn't planning on drawing it from scratch though I know it is possible just time consuming, I was hoping someone had a rough approximation to start with that is all or any leads where someone could get some.

It is a TM sig552, I know I can get another upper receiver but there is more that needs replacement, I already have identified companies that can supply all of the replacement parts I need to get the gun exactly as it was (It will cost approximately £100 not including shipping). If I wanted a new gun I would just buy one, that isn't the question, I have designed (and tested) electronics to acomplish some things which are interesting I just need to design a shell to embody it.

AJ

Comment

I would say that PLA would hold together well enough, it'd probably be better than ABS because you have to take into account the laminar nature of anything you make on a reprap. You just have to make sure your hotend temperature is way up to the layers bond well.

The only thing is, you will probably have to beef it out a little, and unless your machine is perfectly calibrated you'll have a hard time making small details with supports enabled.

I'm up for trying to model your receiver. Hell, my primary is pretty much 50% made on the rapid prototyper. This here is an old photo, I've made a lot more parts for it since...

IMAG0646[1].jpg
        You broke it? I'll fix it...

It works? I'll make it work better!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

The_Jackal Find out more about The_Jackal
        Working...
        X