Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Getting rid of paint on an anodised metal slide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of paint on an anodised metal slide?

Hi, I have had the slide of my pistol anodised in blue, but where the trademarks are on the side of the slide i want to get rid of the blue so it shows the original silver underneath. Ive been to timpsons (the keymakers) and they told me they wouldnt be able to get rid of it, their reason being that the words are too small to get rid of with their engraving machine. Or something along those lines lol.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

And I dont trust myself to scrape away at it with a knife or other sharp object. Unless thats the only option of course!
    Thanks, Tom

Re: Getting rid of paint on an anodised metal slide?

When you say the silver underneath, do you mean the aluminium or the original anodising.
    Anodising is the process of work surface hardening of aluminium using acid etching and is only a few microns thick.
    You could try a very sharp scriber/compass needle and carefully 'scratch' out the lettering.

And Timpsons, gun slide........noooooooo!
    sigpic
    "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

I mean the aluminium underneath, its only been anodised once in blue. Ill try and find a compass or something similar and have a bash at it. If its any good ill post pics too. Thanks for the help mate.

Comment

So I got rid of the paint...

So I had a go at getting rid of some of the paint on my slide. I used a drawing pin to do it, didnt take that long actually. Heres the result of my hard labor lol!IMAG0958.jpgIMAG0959.jpg

Comment

As it has been anodised you won't have a problem with flaking back as you would have done if it were paint.
          sigpic

Comment

Re: So I got rid of the paint...

Good job, and you get the satisfaction rather than Timpsons.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Viper Scout View Post
              And Timpsons, gun slide........noooooooo!
              Why not? lots of people on here have taken their airsoft guns to be engraved by them, its not a real gun and they are not illegal so I don't see a problem as long as you explain to them and just say its a BB gun.
              sigpic

Comment

Timpsons didnt have any problem with it being a pistol slide (I explained that it was for an airsoft pistol), and another engravers in town had no problems with it being a gun part. Just that the writing was too small for their tools... at least thats what they said to me!

Comment

Think I may be a bit precious when it comes to gun parts and who handles them coming from a real steel point of view.
                  You are correct, they are not real guns.
                  Just pouring some custard over my humble pie.
                  sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ShooterSwizz Find out more about ShooterSwizz
                  Working...
                  X