Nicad - lipo move.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicad - lipo move.

Some of my no as batteries are starting to deteriorate And I am now looking to make a move over to lipo's the only problem is I run 9.6v Nicad's (from running RC's) there are 7.4v and 11.1v lipo's (2s and 3s) I want something that would be on par with the 9.6v and I am optimistic that the 7.4v lipo will be up to scratch, can any of you lipo uses post and let me know your experiences with incas and lipo uses and voltages please.

Re: Nicad - lipo move.

a decent 7.4v will give a better rof and better trigger responce than an airsoft sized 9.6v
    sigpic
    View iTrader Rating Here
    Looking for Kjw KC-02 Parts(Ra-tech, Kjw, etc..) PM me!

Comment

So one with a decent c rating discharge will yield better results than a 9.6?

Comment

Rate of fite wise, a 7.4v LiPo is on par with a 8.4v NiMH battery and a tad behind a 9.6v NiMH (I dunno about NiCd, didnt think anybody used them anymore). However the trigger response on a 7.4v Lipo is superior to both NiMH voltages. In addition, as LiPos are discharged, their voltage stays constant for longer than NiMH.

A 11.1v lipo will beat both RoF wise but you'll need to install a MOSFET for that.
        Upcoming Games:
        None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
        Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Yeah sorry nimh not nicad! I don't think I can be bothered to go down the route of fitting MOSFET's might just go for the one lipo at the moment with a good 'c' and have a go with a 7.4v what would happen if I wasn't to fit a MOSFET and use an 11.1? I'm guessing oxidisation and then resulting in trigger not making a connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoon1990 View Post
            Yeah sorry nimh not nicad! I don't think I can be bothered to go down the route of fitting MOSFET's might just go for the one lipo at the moment with a good 'c' and have a go with a 7.4v what would happen if I wasn't to fit a MOSFET and use an 11.1? I'm guessing oxidisation and then resulting in trigger not making a connection?
            Pretty much exactly that. Excessive arc'ing would result in the trigger contacts eating themselves and you having to disassemble the gun and replace the trigger assembly. Could last a few months, a few games or just a few shots. Who knows?
            Upcoming Games:
            None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
            Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Mickydoos View Post
              Pretty much exactly that. Excessive arc'ing would result in the trigger contacts eating themselves and you having to disassemble the gun and replace the trigger assembly. Could last a few months, a few games or just a few shots. Who knows?
              You could happily run an 11.1V lipo with stock trigger contacts every weekend for at least 6 months. It isn't something that happens overnight. However, over that period you could well likely notice a decrease in both trigger response and ROF. This is normal, and is due to the residue left on the contacts, usually a rub down with fine sand paper brings them back to life for another few months.

Comment

Consider it a long term investment for trouble free airsofting.
                Lipo's, mosfet and while you're at it, dean's connectors.
                I am assuming you have the appropriate balance charger.
                sigpic
                "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

9.9 li-fe battery....forget about lipo.....old technology now
                  VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                  trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

I might have to do a bit of reading up on the life batteries haven't heard about them to be honest!

Comment

I can't comment on the LiFe route except that on paper it sounds like the safer (less hassle, less chance of fire) way to go, particularly if you're used to being somewhat uncaring to your NiMH batteries. I recently made the jump to 7.4V 25C LiPo's from NiMH and they've been perfect for my requirements although I'll happily admit that the horror stories still sit in the back of my mind. I'd like to give 9.9V LiFe's a go but I can't find any that'll fit my minimal dimension requirements.

Get a decent balance charger, pick either a 7.4V LiPo (20/25C) or 9.9V LiFe based on your own research and give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk View Post
                        9.9 li-fe battery....forget about lipo.....old technology now
                        This. Been running my gen 3 G&G top tech on 9.9v LiFe for the last couple of months. Tis the way forward.

Comment

I too would like to know more about LiFe batteries, The horror stories of LiPo put me off, But i like the size of LiPo and idea that one battery can fit into most of my guns for less messing about.

Comment

There's not much to say about LiFe batteries really. They are a little more bulky than lipos, but not much. The discharge rate is more consistent than a lipo and they have a lower minimum charge level (eg you can run them down lower than a lipo without killing the battery). You charge them the same as a lipo (same balance lead), most good digital chargers can handle them (Turnigy Accucel etc etc). Also they aren't a fire risk like lipos (not that I've ever had any fire-related issues with lipos - in my experience if you look after lipos properly, they are fine - most stories of combusting lipos are apocryphal).

Comment

I'd buy more Li-Fe's if they were as cheap as normal Li-Po's, but when you can get a 2200mAh 25C+ 7.4v for less than a tenner posted in the UK it doesn't make it worth it. Although... I do want to run my M60 on a 9.9v. Hehe.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Spoon1990 Find out more about Spoon1990
                              Working...
                              X