Law on owning real steel magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law on owning real steel magazines?

I have a little question for anyone in the know. I was interested in using a real steel magazine to hold the 9mm blanks for my BFG, and saw you can easily buy them online in the UK. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is against the law the purchase and/or own a real steel magazine, without some kind of licence.

Re: Law on owning real steel magazines?

Don't think it's against any law.

I had a look at this once but think I was advised that it wouldn't work as the blanks are rimmed(?)

Comment

I've seen someone do it with a glock 17 mag, which is where the idea came from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing wrong with it at all.

It is just a metal box with a spring and cap on the end, it has no lethal parts or potential for such so can't see why there would be an issue with owning one in UK law.

'FireKnife'
        68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
        Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

That's what I thought, just wanted to check. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnife View Post
            Nothing wrong with it at all.

It is just a metal box with a spring and cap on the end, it has no lethal parts or potential for such so can't see why there would be an issue with owning one in UK law.

'FireKnife'
            Couldn't you say that about every individual part that makes up a real pistol though? Doesn't it also suggest that you could build a real gun from parts

Comment

Yeah, FireKnife could have put that better.

However, he is correct in saying that detachable firearm magazines are not controlled items in the UK, and can be bought and sold freely. I had also thought that 9mm blanks, being rimmed, wouldn't fit 9x19mm Parabellum magazines, but there are a few users on here who use them so it must work somehow.

Comment

It's ok to buy RS Mags only components like Barrels, Firing pins, Slides, Frames/Receivers etc need licences or deactivation Certs (basically anything that would have to be stamped by a "Proof House")

Comment

Originally posted by FlangTal1ty View Post
                  Couldn't you say that about every individual part that makes up a real pistol though? Doesn't it also suggest that you could build a real gun from parts
                  Not really as I stated no lethal parts or potential for such. This I would class as hammer / trigger mechanisms.

A small box that holds the ammo? Nothing wrong with that at all as if there was we wouldn't have any magazines (using the term 'ammunition' loosely).

'FireKnife'
                  68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
                  Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

We have a Glock 17 mag and a P mag and wasn't asked to produce anything or asked why we wanted the mags. If there was a restriction, then we wouldn't have been able to purchase them.

Comment

I'd think it's legal as you can buy deac's with real mags in can't you?

Comment

I have numerous real firearm magazines. All of my PTW magazines were converted from genuine emags. Not an issue whatsoever.
                        AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

I guess are gun laws are so restrictive the government felt no need to worry about mags, I've not read every firearm related act but I've been through the main ones and not seen anything about magazines. Far as I know even if you had a semi-auto shotgun on a sec 1 cert you could still quite freely slap on the biggest drum you could possibly find/import and not be breaking any laws.

I've got a Glock mag and about 8-9 30 round 5.56 mags in various style; purely because they're really handy props for demonstration/review videos/pictures and they make nice background dressing for pictures to post on forums. Picked pretty much all of them up very cheaply second hand at various random little shops. There's a few different firearms retailers in the UK that'll very happily sell magazines to absolutely anyone without needing any paperwork or justification.
                          REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Just don't go adding a metal tube, some sort of chambering device and a mechanism that will push a pin down onto the back of the round, and of course, don't go adding real steel live 9mm rounds.
                            No problem with having a real steel mag.
                            sigpic
                            "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

Magazines are totally legal, as johnno says the law states that component parts of a firearm are prohibited, although real steel surpressors are prohibited as they need to be listed on a firearms certificate....a magazine is not a component part as a pistol or rifle can be loaded and a round fired without the magazine being present, even with the Browning HP pistols we used to use in work, the action can be fired without the magazine by pressing against the inside of the magwell....although not recommended!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

samsam2010samsam Find out more about samsam2010samsam
                              Working...
                              X