Combat machine...What is a mosfet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat machine...What is a mosfet?

Hey guys hows it goiing? So today i recieved my parcel and it had every upgrad3 for my combat machine ftom the shs high torque motor to the shs 13:1 gears. But the problem was i had forgot to order a mosfet, i still have no idea what it is and cant find much useful info about it. Some such as the asg cost 20 quid whilst some cost over a 100! Whats the difference here and which one would be best for me, lastly are there any guides on how to install mosfets as most youtube videos were not very useful

Re: Combat machine...What is a mosfet?

A basic MOSEFT switch acts almost like a solid state replay for the trigger switch, taking almost all of the main current away from the mechanical switch. With all builds, upgraded ones in particular draw more current. When the trigger contacts meet they arc and get very hot. More demanding setups (high speed motors and or significantly lower ratio gears in conjunction with higher rate springs) draw a lot more current, so naturally this wear is greatly accelerated.
    The heat created is also wasted - reducing electrical efficiency.

A decent MOSFET will be able to handle significantly more current than airsoft setups will ever demand and thus run cold and with much better efficiency. In conjunction with low resistance connectors and wiring, the performance gain over the traditional wiring loom layout will be substantial.

The more expensive units often offer computer controled functions such as burst fire, Pre-cocing, Lipo cell monitoring (to prevent overdischarge/damage to packs) etc..

If you are just looking at a basic high power switch replacement, it won't set you back more than £10.

I can write you out a basic guide on how to install. Typically the layout of the MOSFET based wiring loom is simpler than the traditional layout.
    I'm guessing you're using a V2 box, is this front or rear wired?
    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Originally posted by sniperjesus View Post
      A basic MOSEFT switch acts almost like a solid state replay for the trigger switch, taking almost all of the main current away from the mechanical switch. With all builds, upgraded ones in particular draw more current. When the trigger contacts meet they arc and get very hot. More demanding setups (high speed motors and or significantly lower ratio gears in conjunction with higher rate springs) draw a lot more current, so naturally this wear is greatly accelerated.
      The heat created is also wasted - reducing electrical efficiency.

A decent MOSFET will be able to handle significantly more current than airsoft setups will ever demand and thus run cold and with much better efficiency. In conjunction with low resistance connectors and wiring, the performance gain over the traditional wiring loom layout will be substantial.

The more expensive units often offer computer controled functions such as burst fire, Pre-cocing, Lipo cell monitoring (to prevent overdischarge/damage to packs) etc..

If you are just looking at a basic high power switch replacement, it won't set you back more than £10.

I can write you out a basic guide on how to install. Typically the layout of the MOSFET based wiring loom is simpler than the traditional layout.
      I'm guessing you're using a V2 box, is this front or rear wired?

Thankypu for the quick reply, ok i get it now thanks a lot and yes it is a version 2 gearbox and is rear wired

Comment

I have just installed a Gate Pico SSR mosfet, so far im impressed with it, its only function is switching the motor current. But it is tiny and easy to install providing you can use a soldering iron. Plus at £18 ia doesnt really tip the bank balance. They also do ones which give more functionality and are probably easier to install. But i was limited by the space i had available.

Comment

Originally posted by antonwardo View Post
          I have just installed a Gate Pico SSR mosfet, so far im impressed with it, its only function is switching the motor current. But it is tiny and easy to install providing you can use a soldering iron. Plus at £18 ia doesnt really tip the bank balance. They also do ones which give more functionality and are probably easier to install. But i was limited by the space i had available.
          oh, i have definitely heard of those mosfets, does it come with the wires presoldered to the mosfet or do you have to soldier to the mosfet and the gearbox? and also if not does it come with all the wires you need i cant really find much information on them..

Comment

Another one to consider is the hamsterfet. Comes with all the wires and connectors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

the pico which i used comes with the trigger wire which needs soldering to the circuit board and one side of the trigger switch then on the other side of the switch you solder the battery and motor red cales together. The mosfet then just gets put in between the motor and battery on the negative side. But i believe thier other mosfets come with deans connections so probably no circuit board soldering involved. Hope that makes sense?

Comment

Hamster fets are brilliant. I have so far used a pico gate you an airfet from a auction site and a Hamster fet the wire on the airfet is IMHO too thick and too short. The pico one is fiddly and used surface mounted components harder to solder. The Hamster fet one comes with more than enough wire you could probably do 2 weapons with it. Also comes with motor terminals hear shring and dean's connectors and it's good quality wire

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk
                Using Tapatalk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

arhumi56 Find out more about arhumi56
                Working...
                X