Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting gun shop/range in Orlando, Florida

Just looking for some advice really.

Off to Orlando in September for a 2 week sess in the parks. The girlfriend has graciously allowed me a day of shooting in one of the ranges there. Should be good.

Any recommendations or things to look out for? I'm sure many of you have had the privelage of doing the same at some point and some tips would be appreciated.

Also - I'm keen on buying some real steel kit out there - maybe some gen 3 pmags to
    convert to PTW use and maybe an eotech or some Magpul kit. Are there restrictions out there (apart from the obvious actual guns and ammo) as long as it's not ITAR restricted? Would it be ok to bring anything like that in the luggage amongst the other holiday purchases?

Re: Visiting gun shop/range in Orlando, Florida

maybe you should ask an american based forum like asm,for a better answer
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

I thought everything was ITAR unless distributed through an authorised dealer with the correct permits.....I've tried to get the silliest things from the US including Pelican cases (which are easily obtained in the UK, albeit for an arm and a leg) and the various US dealers couldn't ship out, I had the same hassle with optics as well.

Its worth checking as I could be massively wrong, and if not, it might still be a different story if you purchase and import in person (suitcase luggage).

Comment

Magazines you'll be fine with, optics like eotec come under ITAR. There are a lot of things that arnt restricted but US dealers/shops are extremely nervous about sending out the country. The penalties for them are huge so most of then just blanket ban sending outside of US. Technically as a foreigner your not even suppose to view optics especially NV.
        "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
        Life in the fast lane........
        sigpic

Comment

There's a range in Orlando called 'The Shooting Gallery Range' or something stupid like that, down Orange Blossom Trail I think. I'd advise to avoid going unless you have a lot of money, it was $44.99 for a box of 9mm's there last year. Try this, http://www.shootinggalleryrange.com/

Although sometimes they do have some very cool guns. Some of the ones there were 5.56mm civilian M4, 9mm auto M4, an AK47 (that was the best one), Glocks, 1911's, revolvers, 12g shotguns and sometimes some very big handguns. One year there was a gold tiger striped Desert Eagle and a .454 Taurus magnum revolver. That kinda redeems the prices
          Last edited by Kodiak; 15 June, 2014, 21:48.

Comment

i was at "the gun stor las vegas" yesterday, and asked one of the guys in the shop about optics.
            he said anything civilian should be fine.
            so the likes of Vortex you should be able to get, but aimpoint and eotec you wont
            For Sale!
            TM M870 with a load of stuff
            A&K massada sniper spec
            Chronograph
            leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Thanks all.

I have read that civilian eotechs are ok? It's the NV models that are restricted from what I heard?

Comment

Any item that is cleared for export is fine, that does include NV models.
                However local shops arn't going to hold stock or the paper work to sell export cleared items.
                "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
                Life in the fast lane........
                sigpic

Comment

A friends 10 year old son got pulled by security for having a 'suspect' substance on the soles of his shoes.
                  Turned out that the day before he had been stamping on snap caps.
                  The suspect substance showed up as explosives.
                  Might be worth a mention on your way through!
                  sigpic
                  "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

I went last year and visited the place at the top of orange blossom trail ,had me some fun with a 226 glock 17 ar 10 and a 1911 ,ok I spent around $100 but well worth it , I also went a few years back to http://www.shootinggalleryrange.com/ ,again blatted a few 100 rounds off and chatted about a longer range over towards Daytona ,where I went a few days later with a couple of guys who I met at the Florida gun show and had a day shooting out to 1000 yards

Comment

http://firearmsadventures.com/

I spent a day with these fellows, learnt loads, not particularly expensive and shot everything from .357 to .22, even got a go with M700 and M24.

You'll need a car to get to it, and a satnav, its in the middle of a orange grove, in the middle of the real florida (not mouse country).

Cannot rave about it enough!

Comment

That sounds good Staceh - thanks for that link

Comment

No problems mate, if you go, you'll learn loads, and they'll take the time to look after you personally rather than just being part of a group.

Comment

yeh - its just convincing the gfriend that we NEED TO GO. I see its about 1hr 30 from International Drive where we'll be staying. We have a car and sat nav too so that rules.

Comment

Its a easy drive from I Drive, take the missus she can sunbathe, the range itself is in the arse end of beyond, literally!!

I sent the wife and kids off to florida mall for the day and went myself, she can get a cab from I-drive no sweat, reception will book them one.

Oh if your hiring a car, I cannot recommend car-on-the-drive enough, they'll meet you at the airport and take you back again, saves money on transfers, you also get fuel card, a decent car for the money and a up to date satnav, and if you wish a quick driving lesson on US roads.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fitch Find out more about Fitch
                              Working...
                              X