Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Price of Power

Hi All,

My TM M9 has died. The slide has cracked because of my desire for more performance. I'm surprised though as I didn't consider the upgrades I added to put that much extra stress on the pistol but guess I was wrong. Just out of interest...

I installed:
    a PDI winter piston head
    Nineball gas routers
    a recoil buffer
    and a Tanio Koba twist barrel

For the first 10 shots it was godly, power, recoil, range and accuracy were incredible. Then the back sight flew off and under closer inspection the slide had cracked. Now as upset as I am at the death of my favorite and first airsoft gun, I'm looking for help as to what to do next. I'm not hopeful on a replacement TM slide as its one of the limited edition biohazard models, and besides a plastic slide will likely crack again. I'm tempted by a metal kit or using a WE M9 or something and trading parts but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments as to what to do next as I'm unsure as what to do now. Anyone else had a TM M92F that's blown a slide?

Cheers All

Re: The Price of Power

Research......more research in future......nine ball gas routers can add around 10 to 20ish fps, and a winter piston head is designed to help maintain power during the colder weather. Tighter bore of barrel can add fps also.

You never said what gas you used and what the weather was like on the day of use. These can also contribute to the guns failure.
    KJW KP-08 - g&g scar l - we g23 - kwa vector - g&g tr4 cqb-s

VOA is a combat multiplier. When engaging an opponent, or engaged by an opponent, the immediate application of extreme violence lends a ferocious momentum forward that is irresistible.

Comment

I knew about the power increases, but I didn't think it would crack the slide. I have never had any problems with my other upgraded TM pistols using the same parts. I was using green gas and it was this evening. Not hot but not cold, room temperature I'd say. And yes, I know about the dangers of using green gas in a TM in the hot.

Comment

If it was the original TM M9 - a design so old that Abraham is reputed to have carried one in the earlier portions of the Old Testament - then it was never designed for propane. However, the upgrades you fitted shouldn't really have caused this sort of problem, at least not so quickly. The barrel won't have had anything to do with it; the routers and recoil buffer might have contributed slightly and the piston head, if improperly installed, could have caused some damage, but you would expect that damage to be localised to, or at least begin in, the BBU rather than the slide. Your slide may simply have been one of the weaker ones.

The 92-series are not known for exploding even with high-powered gas because they also have the ancient small-bore BBU architecture. The big problems are with using propane in the interim designs (the Five-seveN, in particular) when TM first introduced the wide-bore architecture but hadn't strengthened the rest of the gun to compensate. The newer M9A1 would be more resilient, but that's what you should expect after a decade plus of development.

MBKs for the TM M9 aren't hard to get.

Comment

I was surprised to say the least, I've never heard of TM M92s having problems with green gas or upgrades. Has anyone got any experience with the Guarder metal kits? Are they difficult to fit?

Comment

Dont fit a metal kit... you will ruin it.

The TM M9s are absolutely fantastic out of the box. You can fettle the hop to use 0.25s more effectively, stick it on green gas and they are tremendous.

Metal kit will slow it down, make it unreliable, worse in cold weather and ruin the blowback action. The plastic is great on them, because they are so light you can just whip round corners and snap snap snap everyone in the room is gone before they can even think of raising an AEG to you.

Honestly leave it, pistols rarely need upgrading, especially TM M9s.
            Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

It'll be that winter head . They have a very good seal and the slides are not as strong as other models, just because of the shape .

Comment

I know how good they are mine was brilliant for the 2 years I've had it. But recently it's been lacking and a new hop and cylinder didn't bring it back to its former glory. So I got the upgrades.
                I am reluctant to get a metal kit for the reasons you've stated and the price of course. It's quite an investment. But a replacement slide is going to be so hard to find (mine is the TM biohazard Chris Redfield special edition model) and there is no guarantee the new slide won't brake either. It's why I'm unsure as of how to proceed.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by heroshark View Post
                It'll be that winter head . They have a very good seal and the slides are not as strong as other models, just because of the shape .
                I agree, the two cracks are right behind the cylinder head.

Comment

I would upgrade to an M9A1, it's a superior gun in every way and far tougher. I use Guarder gas in mine, and so far it's ok!

Comment

Originally posted by Apurturesci View Post
                    I would upgrade to an M9A1, it's a superior gun in every way and far tougher. I use Guarder gas in mine, and so far it's ok!
                    I have been tempted to, I even watched your review of one! The problem for me is that I really don't like the look of the rail. It makes it look chunky and a bit unbalanced. It's just personal preference though as I've heard good things about them.

Comment

Originally posted by shakingbanana View Post
                      I have been tempted to, I even watched your review of one! The problem for me is that I really don't like the look of the rail. It makes it look chunky and a bit unbalanced. It's just personal preference though as I've heard good things about them.
                      I agree, it doesn't look as nice as the classic 92f, but it performs so well (and is made so much better) that I don't mind. Much more solid.

Comment

Originally posted by shakingbanana View Post
                        Glad im not the only one to think that the A1's don't look too great

Comment

would the old lower fit?

Comment

No, they're totally different designs. WE make an M92fs with new M9A1 internals, and supposedly it's pretty good, but it has an annoying full auto function which nobody wants. And it's a WE.

Comment

would an un-railed lower off a WE fit then? Could be worth a try ,they do look wrong with a rail.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

shakingbanana Find out more about shakingbanana
                              Working...
                              X