Best guns for upgradability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best guns for upgradability

You may have seen a previous post of mine related to converting my G&G Combat Machine CM16 R8-L into a DMR style gun.

This is kind of related to that, in the that i was talking to a friend about gun upgrades and he was saying the G&G are shit for upgradability, i was quite surprised that he said this because from what i have read and seen, the G&G guns are some of the best for upgrading. Now i dont really know whats true or false so i just wanted you guys and your opinions as to who are the best gun manufacturers for upgradeability and how good G&G guns truly are for upgradability.

I mainly want to know if G&G's are good for upgrading and what is good and bad about them when it comes down to internal upgrades. Also there goods and bads as stock guns.

Make sure to poll your results too!

Thanks

ManBearGoatPig
    Spencer Skinner
    Yes
    63.16%
    No
    10.53%
    Kind Of, (They are alright)
    26.32%
    Last edited by ManBearGoatPig; 28 July, 2014, 22:09.
    Current Loadout:
    G&G Combat Machine CM16 R8-L

My Station:

Selling: Tamiya Gravel Hound R/C Car 1/10 Scale

Re: Best guns for upgradability

Assuming you're talking about internal parts, most guns are built from the same kind of parts. Mostly what varies is the quality of said parts so i personally wouldnt say there is such a thing as a gun that's more upgradable than another.
    Unless it's a TM, because an upgraded TM is rarely as good as a stock one because of the TM Magic.

Comment

Ok, thats quite intersting. Thanks for your response!
      Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

The only thing that makes a difference is gearbox types because certain guns have different shaped gearboxs, so only special parts will fit them. So I would say that both V2 and V3 rifles/guns are the most upgradeable (M4 is V2) so yes M4s are about as good as they get. They are probably the most easier to upgrade externally too as they have the most parts made for them as they are sooo common.
        For sale:

-Splitting M4
        -MP5 Parts
        -MP7a1
        -M9 Magazine

Comment

JG are the best you can literally throw hundreds at them,and they will perform miracles
          VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
          trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

These references are getting tenuous guys...

Comment

It depends on what sort of performance you are looking for. The G&G V2 shell is fairly weak at the front end despite G&G's attempts at casting the radiusing mod on the front corners of the cylinde window, however you will unlikely face problems here unless you are running springs over M120 and or very high rates of fire.
              The majority of the remaining internal parts are actually pretty decent, the gear set in particular is very durable for it's cost.
              dsgdreamteam

Comment

I will probably be running a M120 spring inside it so hopefully i shouldn't get any issues. Thanks for the feedback
                Current Loadout:

My Station:

Comment

I personally didn't expect G&Gs to be incredibly upgradeable, and then I saw that a bunch of guys in the states seem to use them for all their custom work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XISQ...Z-ZpxqqhxsAg5w, even pushing them up to 600fps so I guess something's gotta be working then. Then again, I don't see how G&G would have an advantage over any other M4.

Comment

I personally have liked SRCs G36 range for upgradability the motor cage in it is far more solid than the regular G36 gearboxes as it is similar to the AKs motor cage design minus the possibility of having wobble due to the pistol grip not being attached to the main body directly. V3 are the best for upgradability as there is literally nothing you can do to the gearbox to destroy it with regards to upgrades.

G and G combat machines are a good starter for upgrading, bear in mind that if it is like my friends one that I recently worked on the bushings inside it are crap they were made from brass and half of them were distorted by the heat transfer from the gears to the shell.

As a stock gun the Combat machine is competative, but could be better. I dont like the stock motor in it, its a bit slow compared with the likes of a stock SRC motor, the Piston in it feels cheap too as does the ported piston head, the Cylinder looks nice but is pretty much identical to the Classic Army Sportline cylinders, so both are aluminium. The Spring guide is metal and did not have a bearing on it so was again pretty standard, the gears seem strong, stronger then the classic army gears but this also means they make a bit more noise as they are harder metals and the gears are only as good as the bushings they run on and the bushings sucked on the Combat machine as like I said before they distorted, one of the bushings even had a shim stuck in it. The Sportline comparitively did not show any wear on plastic bushings and had a slight amount of lateral movement on them compared with the more noticable lateral movement on the Combat machine.

The hop unit in the stock Combat machine again feels cheap, the hop rubber in it is good quality but doesnt give enough lift to make it a mid range rifle compared with the classic army sportline hop unit. the Inner barrel is very cheap and not as good as the Classic army sportline standard barrel which actually fits tighter and seems to give better consistancy on full auto.

The combat machine has better externals than the Sportline Classic Army, but internally I prefer the classic army as the parts that should be changed are cheaper to change then in the combat machine, combat machine parts I would change are as follows:

Combat Machine:
                    Motor +£35
                    Inner Barrel +£25 (depending on inner barrel I like steel or brass but some aluminium barrels are decent if they fit tightly)
                    Hop Unit +£20 (depending on hop unit I like the madbull ones in AR platforms due to the wheel design the ICS one may fit also, element hop unit is a good budget one)
                    Piston +£12 (stock piston is able to handle an M120 but I would prefer to use a stronger one then have the stock one fail on me)
                    Bushings +£10 (switch out to 8mm bearings and shim properly)
                    Nozzle + £6 (nozzle with an o ring)

Compared with Classic Army Sportline:
                    Bushings + £10 (6mm steel bushings)
                    Nozzle + £6 (nozzle with an o ring)
                    Piston + £12
                    Hop rubber + £7 (PDI W hold)

The only real benefit of the Combat machine is the bushing size, 8mm is better due to its larger surface area but the stock bushings are not nice so they should be replaced, the sportline classic army also had the front part of the gearbox cylinder radiused which was a nice little touch, the motor in the classic army seems a bit quieter too, this maybe because it uses a softer metal in the gearset and the pinion gear too.

This is my opinion based on using a CA sportline for 2 and a half years the first year and a half using it stock, comparing it to a friends combat machine that has been used for probably the same period of time.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ManBearGoatPig Find out more about ManBearGoatPig
                    Working...
                    X