8mm Scar-H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8mm Scar-H?

I'm looking for a Scar-H that actually fires 8mm rounds. It seems ludicrous to me that they'd make a Scar-H that fires the 6mm round like the Scar-H... anyone know if anyone makes one?

Re: 8mm Scar-H?

As far as I know, no one makes one. It would be incredibly impractical. 8mm ammo is way too expensive to use in a full auto AEG, and range doesn't tend to be as good with an 8mm either. Plus you'd have all the issues of chrono'ing..

Comment

Those impracticallities seem overstated to me, but if no-one makes one it doesn't matter either way. I'll see if someone could make one from scratch, will be the perfect addition to my other FN loadouts.

Comment

You'll also have issues with some sites not allowing 8mm rounds.

I also seem to remember that 6mm rounds were chosen as they had the best performance weight ratio compared to other heavier rounds.

An 8mm round is much bigger comparatively which will not only increase general drag and air resistance but you're also looking at power limits etc and thinking about joules.

The average 8mm bb is .36g I think.. Then you're looking at almost a doubt increase in joule rating meaning you'd need to have the rifle firing around the 260fps mark to be below most sites insurance figures. A bb going that fast and that big is not only easily seen but also very easily dodged by a simple side step.

Long story short, 6mm was chosen for a very good reason as the best comprise of all factors. You won't experience any benefits other than major impracticalities going up to an 8mm rounds

If you're thinking about making an 8mm from scratch I hope you're made of money. Because you're going to need to redesign the gearbox with a different nozzle, a new outer barrel with larger thread, a new flash hider, a new inner barrel, a new hop unit as well as a new magazine that will accommodate 8mm bbs. All of those new larger scale parts your designing are going to have effects on other parts, the general job would be huge considering all the ramifications.

All I can say is good luck.

Comment

Of course, other than all of the above. Crack on.

Comment

I liked your reply Delta, but Marushin make many 8mm guns, like M14, BAR and the 8mm gas M500 that fires 3 shots at a time (which I also plan on buying).

Comment

I was thinking the added mass will carry the BB further and even out its parasitic drag from its larger size.

Comment

Yes and how many of those guns do you see on the field or have even heard of them being on the field? They are all collectors pieces not intended on hard core skirmishing with the exception of the M500 but even that is sub par in some instances compared to the 6mm version. Those guns also have a very proprietary internal system as far as I am aware which is not only less reliable but it will also be VERY hard to get replacement parts.

Range and accuracy will never be as good as a 6mm system simply because of the science that goes against it. You can't argue with it, it's all facts.

Comment

Ok I yield. You have more knowledge on the subject than I, but would have loved the variety.

Comment

You're right if it could work im all for it don't get me wrong.

But realistically it will never happen for the main reason sites don't like 8mm in the majority as its hard to chrono.. Add into all the things I've said and it blows even further into fantasy unfortunately.

An 8mm high powered snipers rifle for certain very milsim games where FPS isn't so much of an issue would be amazing.

Comment

Yeah, a 8mm sniping Rifle was also a thought of mine, but it's not really my playstyle, but one day maybe.

Comment

I've had a few 8mm guns and they're pretty useless. It's mostly down to Marushins poor hop unit and barrels, but in general they just aren't practical, especially since a bag of 500 costs £10. Marushin didn't make an M14 or BAR, you're probably thinking of the M1. Its worth noting that most of their 8mm guns are now only sold in 6mm versions because the 8mm ones weren't popular.

Comment

There are a couple out there but none that would warrant the effort for me.. If I could get something as upgradeable as a VSR but in 8mm caliber I'd have one just for plinking.

Comment

Amy i too would love 8mm for guns with higher than 5.56 rounds in their real life counterparts.

I seen the Barrett sniper rifle in 8mm gas version, looks lovely.

SCAR H 8mm... id like one.

I currently have the Marushin 1887 8mm shotgun, however it has a bad leak :'(
                            Dead or alive....your coming with me

Comment

Irrespective of what's made, pointless buying it if you intend to skirmish it, as most sites won't allow it due to the chrono/insurance issues........ends up as an expensive backyard plinker or decorative wall hanger.
                              Does make you wonder why some manufacturer still market them, is it due to less restrictive fps rules in other countries ?.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

amy.payne.188 Find out more about amy.payne.188
                              Working...
                              X