A question for you firearms expert guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for you firearms expert guys

Hey fellas. Not 100% sure if this is the right section so I'll just pop it here for now, feel free to move it if necessary.

This forum is quite reliable for firearms knowledge, some people really know their stuff. I've noticed from time to time that discussions about firearms legislation have arose. I have a question for anyone who's an expert on it, if I may.

This is part of some research for my Masters degree so I'll just let you guys know it's for said purpose, rather than anyone getting any other ideas. Here is what I want to ask.

1. An original Izhmash Arsenal Dragunov SVD would be classified under which section of firearms legislation? Would I be right in assuming it's classified under section 5?
    2. The cartridges for the above firearm (7.62x54R) would be classified under which section of firearms legislation? Would I be right in assuming it's section 1? I assume you can get these cartridges on a FAC.
    3. Would .22 and .223 full metal jacketed hollow points be classified as section 1, 5 or other? I know there are certain exceptions that allow farmers to own expanding ammunition for vermin control but I can't correctly place it.

Any help would be appreciated fellas If you make a post answering any questions could you also please note which (if applicable) amendment and section is appropriate?

Re: A question for you firearms expert guys

Originally posted by Kodiak View Post
    Hey fellas. Not 100% sure if this is the right section so I'll just pop it here for now, feel free to move it if necessary.

This forum is quite reliable for firearms knowledge, some people really know their stuff. I've noticed from time to time that discussions about firearms legislation have arose. I have a question for anyone who's an expert on it, if I may.

This is part of some research for my Masters degree so I'll just let you guys know it's for said purpose, rather than anyone getting any other ideas. Here is what I want to ask.

1. An original Izhmash Arsenal Dragunov SVD would be classified under which section of firearms legislation? Would I be right in assuming it's classified under section 5?

If truly original I.e semi and full auto weapons that without using the charging handle to individually reload each round then yes

2. The cartridges for the above firearm (7.62x54R) would be classified under which section of firearms legislation? Would I be right in assuming it's section 1? I assume you can get these cartridges on a FAC.

Yes, ammunition is not as restricted as weapons however to acquire it it does need to be licenced on the FAC, as this ammo could be used in single shot weapons that can be held under a section 1

3. Would .22 and .223 full metal jacketed hollow points be classified as section 1, 5 or other? I know there are certain exceptions that allow farmers to own expanding ammunition for vermin control but I can't correctly place it.

Section 5 restricted ammo as its classed as expanding ammo, certain humane professions can use it as well as multi shot pistols not restricted to .22 cal. All again on sec 5 for specific use only.

Any help would be appreciated fellas If you make a post answering any questions could you also please note which (if applicable) amendment and section is appropriate?
    Legislation for this here, page 19 onwards
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-police-2012
    sigpic

Comment

Bloody brilliant Simon, much obliged my friend I thought I'd double check with others before committing to it, UK legislation has had so many amendments it gets difficult to keep up

Comment

That man knows his stuff!
        sigpic

Comment

No problems just for example Linky here to compare SVD, as you can get one on UK FAC ticket if only straight pull single shot, like you can with ak, m4 etc so the ammo has to be available as well.

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/firearms_svd.htm
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Simon You answered everything perfectly, just looked it up to confirm it before I wrote it down and all's spot on. Interesting how you could get one on a FAC, I might pursue that route for sport shooting. After handling one in the Academy at Shrivenham not long ago, I've found a new love for them :P

Comment

Yep svd's are nice to use, we had one to 'try' once down bisley on the army shooting cup whilst a serving pongo. As well as various types of LE .303's and an original SLR plus a few others.
              Best bit if the day was a competition between two 5 man fire teams one with the l85a1 the others with .303's shooting at falling metal plates at 300m, after doing a50m run to the firing point.
              Yep the l85a1 fired quicker but wobbled the metal plates, the .303 users (older gents that couldn't run as fast as the other team so took longer to get to the firing point) every shot blam, clang...plate down, just showed how good a larger round is over the 5.56
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah man I'm not surprised. The 5.56 isn't a bad cartridge but some of the guns that use it. For example, some AR-15 variants have direct gas impingement as an operating mechanism rather than a gas piston. That particular system means that loads of carbon and crap is thrown into all the moving parts

Nothing quite like the old Lee Enfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak View Post
                  Thanks Simon You answered everything perfectly, just looked it up to confirm it before I wrote it down and all's spot on. Interesting how you could get one on a FAC, I might pursue that route for sport shooting. After handling one in the Academy at Shrivenham not long ago, I've found a new love for them :P
                  You do realise that he means a straight pull don't you, i.e. a manually operated gun with no gas system. As for how, same as any other firearm, you need an FAC with a variation for 7.62 Rifle on it. If you specify 7.62x54mm you will be restricted to that specific caliber but if you put 7.62mm that leaves you open for 7.62x39 ( AK47 ) or 7.62x51 ( L1A1 ) etc.

To be granted an FAC you will need to be a member of a suitable club, have appropriate security at home and you and anyone with access to your home needs to have a clear criminal record ( except for traffic offences ).
                  The laptop is mightier than the pistol.

Comment

Yeah bud I know As far as I know the only calibre allowed in self-loading rifles is .22 or similar.

I've already got a shotgun certificate. When I'm done with this year of uni I might look into joining a club so I've got a reason to own one.

Comment

No similar, just ,22rf.
                      The laptop is mightier than the pistol.

Comment

Yeah sorry I meant to say rimfire

Comment

on a slightly different note, i have asked in the noob section but i might as well ask here

How do i post blanks for BFG's etc
                          AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P

G&P Silver M14 EBR Cheap
                          http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...om-going-cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                            on a slightly different note, i have asked in the noob section but i might as well ask here

How do i post blanks for BFG's etc
                            Courier I believe, if you look on websites that sell them they all specify courier delivery only. As to which one I have no clue sorry.

don't quote me on this, but I know you can receive them so I don't see why you couldn't send them.

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kodiak TM gun nut Find out more about Kodiak
                            Working...
                            X