SubMachine Gun or Rifle/Carbines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubMachine Gun or Rifle/Carbines?

Are there any major perks between the 2? Any recommendations? I have always liked Uzis and Mp5Ks in real life. They feel great and have always seemed fun. I've held some Tec9s and Mac10s too. But as we all know there are limits on these guns.

So is there a major difference between the 2 classes? I'm assuming that SMgs are better cqb guns and rifles have more range. Or is this a misconception because the internals are roughly the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: SubMachine Gun or Rifle/Carbines?

It would be easy to compare something like the (tm - aeg) mp5k to an mp5AX (tm -aeg)for example in which case the internals are fairly similar and the only difference you would be likely to notice would be from one not having a stock, not from the internals.
    However an comparing a stuff like tm mp7 (aeg) will use different gearboxes (not as great) as an mp5AX (as an example).
    Stuff like mac 10's etc may be gas powered in which case you're comparing across propulsion methods not smg vs rifle.
    Smaller rifles/smg/pistol would be better in cqb in the sense that they are smaller and more maneuverable

Comment

Within fullsize AEGs there's virtually 0 difference.
      the smaller SMGs (skorpion, mp7 ect) are 'AEP' meaning lower FPS and the like, but are still very competitive in CQB.

Moral of the airsoft story? Find a gun you like the look of. Have a look at some reviews and the like.
      -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
      -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Personally, I prefer SMGs now. 9mm!

It's got just as much stopping power for our sport, and the mags are a much better size. My chest rig has built in pouches for 5 M4 magazines. But because I'm using stick magazines it means I can have up to 10 instead, all with the same number of rounds in!

Comment

Airsoft SMGs and rifles are pretty much capable of matching each other in terms of range. Using 0.3g BBs, my MP5K ranges 50m+.

Comment

Technically, seeing as the projectiles are all the exact same, some might say you're hindering yourself with the bulk and weight of a replica of a gun that fires a rifle round. An airsoft MP5 can shoot just as well as an M4 but as Ben says, the mags are far smaller and often don't have that much less capacity and a RIF styled after an SMG is most likely going to be smaller and lighter. On the other hand of course there aren't many real M4s made all out of plastic and even fewer that're rugged and suited to the task of real world use, whereas a G&G plastic M4 will likely do just fine for 90% of airsofters.
            REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

So basically it is all about preference? The guns are going to have little pros and cons, but play style determines gun more than anything else?

Comment

My hands are too big to hold small guns comfortably, and I like the readily available accessories for the M4 so I use that, but a MK18 short version so really it's no longer than an SMG I guess.

It's all for looks, we're all posers us softers. The smaller the gun the less wobble you generally have too, M16's are a nightmare for barrel wobble and offer no real gains over an MP5. TM MP5's are pretty incredible really, good sized stock for a battery etc.

Comment

Other reason I use an M4 is that there is no drama getting molle pouches or rigs to take the mag size.

Comment

Originally posted by stonewall50 View Post
                    So basically it is all about preference? The guns are going to have little pros and cons, but play style determines gun more than anything else?
                    Yep. As I and many others have said to many people over the years, either visit a store or go to a game and ask some folks if they don't mind you quickly holding their gun. You'll soon find one you like the looks/ergonomics/controls on and those are what matters really (long as you buy a decent brand).
                    REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Yes, it is largely about personal preference. When I started airsoft, I was strongly attracted to very long guns (probably something to do with lumping around a Lee Enfield, a Bren gun and, ultimately, an SLR in my youth) but, over time, I have moved towards shorter guns. If they are set up properly, they are just as long ranged, just as accurate and are far easier to manipulate.

Comment

SubMachine Gun or Rifle/Carbines?

Originally posted by CKinnerley View Post
                        Yep. As I and many others have said to many people over the years, either visit a store or go to a game and ask some folks if they don't mind you quickly holding their gun. You'll soon find one you like the looks/ergonomics/controls on and those are what matters really (long as you buy a decent brand).
                        Well I have a friend who brought his tmp over (red jacket rj9 electric??). It is fun to shoot, but just slightly too short. I think I want a little bit longer sight plane. The size would be great for moving around thick florida underbrush.

Sniped some stuff from my balcony and it wasn't too accurate, but I could walk it in with the automatic.

Last edited by stonewall50; 10 March, 2015, 02:39.

Comment

The Well P90 is indestructible and pretty accurate for the few quid it costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
                            The Well P90 is indestructible and pretty accurate for the few quid it costs.
                            I've only seen a real p90 and never held it. I may look for one. The length is appropriate for me (on the real one), so maybe it will be close. I just don't know much about the ergonomics. Seems odd, plus loading a mag on top may throw me

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
                              Yes, it is largely about personal preference. When I started airsoft, I was strongly attracted to very long guns (probably something to do with lumping around a Lee Enfield, a Bren gun and, ultimately, an SLR in my youth) but, over time, I have moved towards shorter guns. If they are set up properly, they are just as long ranged, just as accurate and are far easier to manipulate.
                              You were British military then? Weren't SLRs like the FAL or something?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

stonewall50 Find out more about stonewall50
                              Working...
                              X