Barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrels

I'm just looking for some advice I currenty have a madbull 6.03 v2 but I've been toying at changing it for something else I was looking at pdi but am I really going to notice a difference for the extra 60 or 70 quid over the madbull? Or will any of the other brands of barrels going to make a huge difference or am I not really going to notice it at all?

Re: Barrels

Initially you may not notice the difference but in time mad bull barrels don't last forever , they are Teflon coated aluminium ,once the Teflon wears the barrel will deteriorate ,the more expensive barrels are stainless steel and not only wear better but are generally made with greater precision not just tighter bores , 6.03 is tight enough ,any tighter and you are looking at greater risk of jamming with off spec BB's and the need to wash the BB's before use so the barrel does not get fouled .

Comment

I've always had good results with the madbull steel bores ~£40, how is everything else in your set up e.g hop, compression etc, you might be able to get better performance by focusing on these areas if you haven't done much in that regards.

Though i've not looked in to it too much, apparently using brass (i.e stock) barrels, and lapping, and re crowning them shows some good results and good utility. So that could be also something that you may want to consider.

Comment

i wasn't looking at getting a tighter bore i was looking for a 6.05 but can't find a reasonable one i was after prommy originally but the supplier told me they couldn't find it. i currently have a stock hop unit with a tm hop rubber i can't upgrade my hop unit on my sa80 as there is no after market unit available. how would i test compression? i can range out to 70 metres with it as is and was wondering if i could spit out to 80 ish :P on another note have you ever owned or used a pdi or prometheus ?

Comment

I didnt mean the hop unit in itself, more the parts in it, e.g flat hop/ r hop style mods, which you would be able to do, unless you are having problems with the hop unit itself, or if they are notoriously bad, then there wouldnt be much point in changing it.

With regards to compression you just need to make sure that there aren't any air leaks between parts, if you google or you tube "how to check airsoft compression" or something like that, i am sure there owuld be a comprehesnive guide. Checking that everything is stable, i.e no wobble side to side, or up and down for the barrel and hop etc, will help you with your accurate range.

Nope, I've never owned either, nor would i plan to

Comment

Originally posted by stevek12324 View Post
            i wasn't looking at getting a tighter bore i was looking for a 6.05 but can't find a reasonable one i was after prommy originally but the supplier told me they couldn't find it. i currently have a stock hop unit with a tm hop rubber i can't upgrade my hop unit on my sa80 as there is no after market unit available. how would i test compression? i can range out to 70 metres with it as is and was wondering if i could spit out to 80 ish :P on another note have you ever owned or used a pdi or prometheus ?
            I know its a secret but if you look really hard there are other suppliers than zero one who might find a prommy one in stock , 70 m is quite good ,you could easily fit a flat hop and get a bit more.

Comment

The pdi 6.05 is a good choice it will improve shot consistency but range and overall accuracy are best improved from your hop and thats cheaper to sort out. You dont need to change hop unit just the bucking and nub combo, try different ones and see what works best for you everyone has different opinions on which is best. I personally dont like prommy barrels I have tried 2 one was no real change over stock the other made it worse but that was probably just a rare bad one. Other option is try an orga widebore.

Comment

thank you all for replying the information i have received has been helpful and stopped me from wasting money haha i shall see how i get on with my compression. hop wise possibly flat hop it but may just stick to my tm rubber i have put in there seems to work really well compared to any of the others i have tried

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

stevek12324 Find out more about stevek12324
                Working...
                X