Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from NiMh

Hi All,

I'd first like to apologize if this has been debated a good many times on the forums. I have done a search but the only threads I found where updated almost a year ago and I'd like to get some up-to-date information on batteries as I honestly can't find any from the great god google.

Despite that I recently bought a CyberGun Foreign Legion FAMAS F1 which I love, the only downsides are the battery is in the handguard, so very small space not even 40mm of height, the front post can move although never has during a battle and no top rail, but of course the battery is the main concern.

Onto the topic of batteries, I have been doing hours of research into what/if I should upgrade my battery. Currently I'm only running on a NiMh 1100mAh, which works for the moment, but needs the occasional boost between the last few games of a day. I bought a 2200mAh NiMh and that doesn't fit the FAMAS as I mentioned it doesn't have the room for it, the battery being 120mm x 40mm x 40mm. I also haven't found a PEQ box that'll house such a battery.

After that episode I decided i might look into other batteries, and despite the unlikely hood of a LiPo exploding, I'm really not willing to test it. So I'm looking at LiFe quite strongly but since I've only got into Airsoft recently I do have some questions.

My FAMAS is currently running an 8.4v 1100mAh NiMh, yes it's still on Mini-Tamiya but I'll be switching to Deans once I get my connectors through!

I did a read up on LiPo and came to the conclusion that a 7.4v would be sufficient to power the gun as I've not upgraded any of the internals. I believe it runs a mix of v1 and v3 parts that closely resemble the Tokyo Marui. I can only find LiFe batteries in 9.9v and I do not want my gearbox to overcook.

I suppose my main question is: Is a 9.9v LiFe battery safe to use on a gun that is using an 8.4v NiMh without pushing the limits of it's stock internals too far?

As a secondary question, since LiFe's only seem to be in 9.9v what can they power? Since 11.1v LiPos are for very high end guns, would a LiFe 9.9v be able to supply the power for that gun?

As I said, I am sorry if I have asked a question that has been reared so many times before.

I have read through more or less every post in this thread: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...-Life-Vs-Lipo/

Which has detailed and answered a good few questions for me, I just need to understand that a LiFe battery is the right choice.

Thanks in advance guys!

Thunder.

Re: Upgrading from NiMh

A life 9.9 would be perfect for your gun
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk View Post
      A life 9.9 would be perfect for your gun
      Awesome glad to hear it, I'd like to read a bit more on Life batteries, are there any links or videos that anyone knows of? Specifically to Airsoft would be a huge bonus!

Comment

Sparrowhawk is the resident LiFe exponent 😜 I can't comment on LiFe as I've never really looked into them, but afaik a 9.9v LiFe = 7.4v LiPo = 9.6v NiMH (roughly speaking).

Where LiPo holds its own again LiFe is the larger choice in form factor. As omg as you respect them and get in the routine of balancing and storing/charging correctly, you're fine. The B6 style chargers are great for this, and no matter which battery type/size you choose a B6 should be your first purchase.

Comment

EDIT: Sorry, page refreshed with data!

Comment

Probably the only reason why your gun didn't use a 9.6 old style battery was the lack of room for storage, a 7.4 lipo would be fine voltage and amperage speaking, whereas a 11.1 would eventually cause internal damage, the 9.9v life sits perfectly in between and has the added advantage of being a superior battery type over the others, because they are safe and you can run them harder without ruining them,their only drawback is they are about 10% bigger than lipos,a little bit more expensive and there are less variety

Comment

Is there any PEQ compatible sizes off the top of your head Sparrowhawk?

Comment

Sorry as I avoid peq boxes I don't really know

Comment

They're a pain, but it was necessary for my stubby build. Might go with with LiFe for my SCAR in future.

Comment

I don't know why people are still afraid of LiPo's

Comment

I should clarify, I meant the PEQ box was a pain 😁 the LiPos are great!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Thunder Sniper Find out more about Thunder Sniper
                      Working...
                      X