Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing Gas Pistol

Originally posted by emergencychimp View Post
    Due to their popularity, TM pistols are often hard for the retailers to get, in addition to the fact TM don't export directly outside of Japan themselves. Often a retailer will get a batch in and then won't get a restock for quite a while.
    Okay well that's a shame i've emailed a couple of retailers to ask if they'll be restocking them soon so hopefully I hear back from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Cayuse View Post
    Haven't been to the mall in years because I would rather play airsoft than listen to the 2 hour safety brief (No Joke)

I personally would advise not getting a pistol for your first gun. Go and explore other sites. Get a small Smg that is more versatile. P90 or anything with a folding stock. That way you can get games under your belt and see what style of play you prefer.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
    Haha very true that, ridiculously long safety brief. I've been to the mall twice and so I have a glimpse into my play style and anyway, always had my mind made up that I would get either an mp5 or a pistol. Two of my friends recently bough m4s and pistols and both say they prefer using the pistol and find it a lot more fun and easier.

- despite that though if there's a good mp5 that people could recommend I look further into then that would be cool as well.

Also the PX4 looks really nice too, not completely sure how it compares to the HK45 but a very nice looking gun for sure!

Comment

I still feel that much of the negativity toward WE is unwarranted.
      Fair enough, their 1911's / 92f's and hi-capa's are / were not great, but their later pistols are pretty good.

I have 3 x XDM's, a 226 and PX4 and never had a problem with any of them - including performance issues.
      The frame on the WE XDM (imo) is much better than that of the TM for example. Most of the time, parts are interchangeable with TM as well.

TM's are good, but have issues just like any other gbb - they are not the be all and end all of gbb's....

Comment

I know i'm going to sound like a broken record, but I have to agree with the people here who have advised against getting a pistol as your first and only gun...

There are a few reasons for this:

The first, and in my opinion the most critical, is that GBB pistols do not always work well in the cold. The Mall can often be quite cold, and you will have plenty of issues with a GBB pistol failing to cycle/not emptying a full magazine during games because of that. The worst thing to happen to you is to barely get 10 rounds out of each mag you have before being totally combat ineffective, and basically just a stationary target.

Second, and almost as important, is ammo capacity. Hi Caps are everywhere, and even Mid Caps offer more capacity than most pistol magazines. With your budget, you could get a pistol plus probably two spare magazines, which means at most you would be taking 75-100 rounds onto the field with you at any one time. A rental player with one Hi Cap will have at least 3 times that, a person carrying 6 mid caps (like I do) will have 6 times your ammo capacity. You will either run out of ammo VERY quickly, or have to play EVERY game VERY slowly and cautiously.

Third reason goes hand in hand with the second... Pistols on the whole do not perform as well as AEGs. Less range and lower accuracy are common, so not only will you have a lot less ammo than anyone carrying an AEG, you will also be less effective at using it due to the inherent limitations of using a pistol.

I'd suggest taking a look at ICS's MP5 series instead of a pistol. They're pretty damn good and can be had for reasonable prices. Zero One's selection isn't great, but some of the other retailers have a much wider selection. They also come with two magazines as standard which means a little less money spent on buying extras!
        Current Arsenal:
        G&P LMT Tactical Rifle
        ASG CZ Scorpion EVO 3A1
        TM 1911 MEU(SOC)

scoutthedoggie approved commenter!

Comment

TM HK45. Best out the box you'll get.

Also, the brief there is all of 15-20mins now.
          -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
          -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Originally posted by Cayuse View Post
            Haven't been to the mall in years because I would rather play airsoft than listen to the 2 hour safety brief (No Joke)
            I have been playing at the mall regularly for about 18 months and the brief has never been more than half hour and is usually about 15 minutes now.
            I would agree with getting an aeg though either Mp5 or M4 cqb are probably your best bets.

Comment

Originally posted by RWJP View Post
              I know i'm going to sound like a broken record, but I have to agree with the people here who have advised against getting a pistol as your first and only gun...

There are a few reasons for this:

The first, and in my opinion the most critical, is that GBB pistols do not always work well in the cold. The Mall can often be quite cold, and you will have plenty of issues with a GBB pistol failing to cycle/not emptying a full magazine during games because of that. The worst thing to happen to you is to barely get 10 rounds out of each mag you have before being totally combat ineffective, and basically just a stationary target.

Second, and almost as important, is ammo capacity. Hi Caps are everywhere, and even Mid Caps offer more capacity than most pistol magazines. With your budget, you could get a pistol plus probably two spare magazines, which means at most you would be taking 75-100 rounds onto the field with you at any one time. A rental player with one Hi Cap will have at least 3 times that, a person carrying 6 mid caps (like I do) will have 6 times your ammo capacity. You will either run out of ammo VERY quickly, or have to play EVERY game VERY slowly and cautiously.

Third reason goes hand in hand with the second... Pistols on the whole do not perform as well as AEGs. Less range and lower accuracy are common, so not only will you have a lot less ammo than anyone carrying an AEG, you will also be less effective at using it due to the inherent limitations of using a pistol.

I'd suggest taking a look at ICS's MP5 series instead of a pistol. They're pretty damn good and can be had for reasonable prices. Zero One's selection isn't great, but some of the other retailers have a much wider selection. They also come with two magazines as standard which means a little less money spent on buying extras!
              Is the temperature going to be a constant issue for me even when indoors? I thought it would only be a problem when near to 0/freezing?

I can see the ammo being a bit problematic for some play styles but the times i've been and used the rental hicap i've only used a tiny amount of ammo although i like the freedom of being able to shoot whenever you like and not worrying about ammo, one problem i didn't like was aiming around corners with opposite hands and also having to show quite a lot of body, i think a pistol will be a lot easier for cqb?

I can definitely have a look at the range of mp5s though, I like the style of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ImTriggerHappy View Post
              I have been playing at the mall regularly for about 18 months and the brief has never been more than half hour and is usually about 15 minutes now.
              I would agree with getting an aeg though either Mp5 or M4 cqb are probably your best bets.
              would you have any to recommend I look in to?

Comment

Josh - are you playing the mall any time soon? Maybe the night game next Thursday? If so, I have a TM HK 45 with 3 mags (not for sale, I love the gun) which I'd be happy to loan you for the evening, see how you get on with the limited ammo capacity.

Generally I'd be inclined to agree with the guys above - a more reliable, higher capacity electric primary is probably a better bet for a first gun, like a G&G Firehawk or Combat Machine, but, that said, I'd be happy with a pistol and 3-4 mags at the Mall - you're spot on with regards to mobility and aiming round corners.

Temp wise, I've been running my HK45 at the Mall and outside in all temperatures since last November, and had no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Smintheus View Post
                  Josh - are you playing the mall any time soon? Maybe the night game next Thursday? If so, I have a TM HK 45 with 3 mags (not for sale, I love the gun) which I'd be happy to loan you for the evening, see how you get on with the limited ammo capacity.

Generally I'd be inclined to agree with the guys above - a more reliable, higher capacity electric primary is probably a better bet for a first gun, like a G&G Firehawk or Combat Machine, but, that said, I'd be happy with a pistol and 3-4 mags at the Mall - you're spot on with regards to mobility and aiming round corners.

Temp wise, I've been running my HK45 at the Mall and outside in all temperatures since last November, and had no issues.
                  Unfortunately not as I have work till midnight on Thursday, can generally only go on Sunday's but I appreciate your amazingly generous offer! Okay so the pistol should function absolutely fine in the templates I'll be using it then.

At the moment I can't actually find any retailers that are selling hk45s for a reasonable price so it's helping me widen my search some what, I've got one recommendation from Triggerhappy which is the ICS mx5 a5 and also ICS cxp 16s so I've got some alternatives to look at but I'm finding it hard to settle on any aeg for one simple reason, I feel sold on the tm and it seems perfect and with any rifle I look at it seems severely limited by my budget and maybe suffers in build quality etc as a result.

Comment

there is a camden based retailer with stock.

i will say though, if you are doing a sunday soon, i can offer the same thing for a sunday if you'd like, only condition is, you break it, you buy it :P

Comment

Drat, worth an offer . With regards to AEGs - be a little careful, some of the more interesting looking ones can be fussy about which magazines they take.

With your budget, I'd be very tempted to go second hand. Admittedly you don't get the warranty etc you do from a retailer, but you can pick up a gun that would normally be far more expensive at a very reasonable price. For example, there's a TM G36 on the Classifieds right now for under £100, which would provide you a very serviceable primary, and still leave you cash in hand to start putting towards a HK 45. Or there's a high cycle for a little more, which I'd rate at one of the most competitive AEGs out of the box for CQB play.

(Regulars, is pointing people at Classified posts as above against forum terms? I'd presume not!)

EDIT : Going back further through Classifieds, there's a G3 SAS that looks quite tasty, and a G&P Magpul Sentry on at a good price, and a very nice TM/hybrid MP5-thing, all inside your £200 budget.

Comment

not at all, i suspect a slap on the wrist for my post though!

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post

i will say though, if you are doing a sunday soon, i can offer the same thing for a sunday if you'd like, only condition is, you break it, you buy it :P
                          Will get the name of the supplier when I see you at the end of the month. Never did try your hk45.

Comment

Right okay I actually have some progress towards getting myself a gun now. I'm looking at the ICS CXP 08/16 (not sure what the difference is atm) and i'm thinking more as an all rounder and as a gun that I can upgrade externally (grip, tac light, sight etc) it could be a good and safe mediocre choice.

Has anyone had an experience with this gun?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post

I think that's part of the problem, i would be so scared of breaking someone else's gun i think i would just hide in the corner and avoid shooting!

- - - Updated - - -

Drat, worth an offer . With regards to AEGs - be a little careful, some of the more interesting looking ones can be fussy about which magazines they take.

With your budget, I'd be very tempted to go second hand. Admittedly you don't get the warranty etc you do from a retailer, but you can pick up a gun that would normally be far more expensive at a very reasonable price. For example, there's a TM G36 on the Classifieds right now for under £100, which would provide you a very serviceable primary, and still leave you cash in hand to start putting towards a HK 45. Or there's a high cycle for a little more, which I'd rate at one of the most competitive AEGs out of the box for CQB play.

(Regulars, is pointing people at Classified posts as above against forum terms? I'd presume not!)

EDIT : Going back further through Classifieds, there's a G3 SAS that looks quite tasty, and a G&P Magpul Sentry on at a good price, and a very nice TM/hybrid MP5-thing, all inside your £200 budget.
                            have to admit i'm too scared to go into the second hand market with my lack of knowledge etc i think it would be foolish of me.

Comment

That's fair enough. I come at it from a standpoint that I can buy a gun for £90 which sells for £300 new, put it in for a £50 service, and be good to rock and roll having spent half the money, but I can appreciate it's probably not the best idea for a newer player.

The ICS looks good - short, slimline, light (if you get the sportline - I would). the difference between the 8 and 16 is almost certainly the barrel length. I've not held one myself, but a quick google brings up a half dozen reviews, all of which look favourable.

Comment

That's fair enough. I come at it from a standpoint that I can buy a gun for £90 which sells for £300 new, put it in for a £50 service, and be good to rock and roll having spent half the money, but I can appreciate it's probably not the best idea for a newer player.

The ICS looks good - short, slimline, light (if you get the sportline - I would). the difference between the 8 and 16 is almost certainly the barrel length. I've not held one myself, but a quick google brings up a half dozen reviews, all of which look favourable.
                                Yeah I can see the pros but the risk is a lot greater for a rookie like me and anyway I quite like the idea of buying a new gun and taking good care of it myself from the start.

The sport line is the slightly cheaper plastic version, is that right?

And also with regards to if that's the barrel length, is it actually going to make a difference on a air soft gun or is that just a misconception carried over from a real rifle?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Josh93 Find out more about Josh93
                                Working...
                                X