Another UKARA VCRA question! (Sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another UKARA VCRA question! (Sorry)

I know how to get UKARA registered e.g. Play a minimum of 3 times over a minimum of 2 months at registered site but my question is:

What happens with my guns if say I get registered buy some guns and stop playing?

My understanding of the VCRA is that it’s illegal to purchase RIF’s if you haven’t got a specific exemption. But owning them is legal!

I’ve got a collection of 20 guns all bought before VCRA and would love to keep collecting but not really into skirmishing but if I have to play 3-4 time a year to keep collecting I will.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Re: Another UKARA VCRA question! (Sorry)

No it's only elegal to buy them not to own them if you have no ukara
    why so serious

Comment

What "mgaraveb" is trying to say is it is perfectly legal to own them, with or without UKARA. However, is the police ever raided your house, as your not a skirmisher, you'd have to prove that they were bought before the VCRA.

Comment

Technically, it is not illegal to buy them...the problem is on the sales side
        Al -
        United Kingdom Airsoft Players Union

Comment

What the above chaps have said covers it.

Unfortunately collecting RIF's is not a valid defence under the VCRA.

Comment

I agree with everything above, except for Hunter's comment (sorry mate!).

As long as you're over 18, even if you bought the guns after VCRA, there can be no offence that the police can charge you with in relation to you purchasing as the offence is to sell a gun to a non-eligible person.

I would, though, keep all receipts just to prove that you haven't imported, manufactured or converted after VCRA while not a regular player.
            sigpic

Comment

Ah now iv'e always been under the impression that you can also get into bad doodoo when buying them without being eligible too.

Comment

So basically the onus is on the seller?
                Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

It's illegal to sell to a non-player. It's illegal to sell to an under-18, or for an under-18 to buy. It's illegal for an over-18 to buy on behalf of an under-18 (same as any age-restricted product).

But, there's no mention of the purchaser acting illegally (unless as above) anywhere in VCRA or the implementation order.

I've just re-read the relevant section and I'm 100% certain of this. The wording used is:

A person is guilty of an offence if—
                  (a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;
                  (b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation
                  firearm;
                  (c) he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or
                  (d) he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to
                  be brought into Great Britain.
                  sigpic

Comment

So basically it’s NOT illegal to own a realistic imitation firearm.
                    It’s just how you obtained it that could have been illegal?!

I’m not looking for a loop hole just trying to make head and tales of it all.
                    I don’t get how I can walk into a gun shop and ILLEGALLY buy a co2 powered blowbask S&W sigma in 6mm BB or co2 pellet guns that are between 3-5 times more powerful! Because there classed as air-pistols it’s all a bit silly.

Comment

regardless, I'd be inclined to keep reciepts etc, as even if they can't charge you with an offence later, they could still perform a lawful arrest as long as they suspect a crime has, is or will be committed.

bear in mind that although there are numerous threads on airsoft use, don't forget that RIF's could also be classed as an item for use in a burglary or many other offences, so its possible they could be covered under an offence similar to the posession of items for use in terrorism offence.

further, it is illegal to display a RIF in public without good excuse, so that's another restriction on use without excuses.

Another consideration is that 99% of retailers will place the onus upon buyers to prove/declare that they are entitled to the defence, so as far as they are concerned they made an effort to ascertain your defence, and you misled them if you do it that way, (possible obstruction of justice? not sure if thats a UK offence or not though ...).

Bound to be some sort of offence about misleading someone as to the contract that you agree to upon sale (which is bound to have a clause covering the seller for non-defensible buyers).
                      KSC MP7A1 (Tw)
                      mix'n'match M4
                      Maruzen P99

Comment

Originally posted by Major-colt View Post
                        So basically it’s NOT illegal to own a realistic imitation firearm.
                        It’s just how you obtained it that could have been illegal?!

I’m not looking for a loop hole just trying to make head and tales of it all.
                        I don’t get how I can walk into a gun shop and ILLEGALLY buy a co2 powered blowbask S&W sigma in 6mm BB or co2 pellet guns that are between 3-5 times more powerful! Because there classed as air-pistols it’s all a bit silly.
                        All the below is from my interpretation of the VCRA (yes I have read it!!)

You are 100% correct. The higher power air pistols (up to 6ft/lbs) and rifles (up to 12 ft/lbs) have there own classification under the VCRA and are actually classed as low power firearms, so are not imitation in any way. You just have to prove you are over 18 to buy them (also the shop selling them has to be licenced). I believe you are not allowed to buy these mail-order.

I also believe there to be a cross-over point with high power spring airsoft sniper rifles where under approx 380 fps you need a defence but over this power they become air rifles so don't need a defence (crazy!!)- The law is an ass.

I think this comes from air rifles actually having a use (target shooting, vermin control etc) but airsoft guns being classed as toys so are RIF's.
                        JG & TM G36's/CA,JG,TM & WE M4's/TM MP5K/TM & KJW SIG P226's/A&K M249/ACM M500 SSB/3 x TM M3 Super90/TM Hi Capa/TM & ASG MK23 Socom's/WE Baby Hi Capa/KJW M92f/Star L85A2/2 x DE M3 Clone/A&K Magpul Masada

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Major-colt Find out more about Major-colt
                        Working...
                        X