RIP Tom Andrews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tom Andrews

Some of you will know Tom Andrews, owner of Elite Action Games in Surrey. Unfortunately, he passed away this weekend. I've copied John's very touching statement below.

There are days when sad news falls upon your ears, where you answer your phone only to hear the most shocking of news.
    I’m sorry to have to convey that Tom Andrews passed away on Saturday. As I understand it, he had a heart attack and died on Saturday night. I’m sure you will all join me in passing on condolences to his family.
    I knew Tom for many years as a friend and business partner. The “Grandad of Airsoft” as he probably started one of the first sites in the UK. What he didn’t know about the guns, wasn’t worth knowing. Many of you thought he just ran the shop from his van, but in truth he was part of the driving force for the development of Dorking and started both Epsom and Worthing. He also was responsible for so many silly props and other questionable ideas…
    It had been many years since I last saw him play, but there was a time when he would go away for the weekend and play a game. One story comes to mind, where during a 24 hour game, Tom sunk into the other teams camp where they had neatly stacked their weapons in a “Tepee” fashion. The guards all lay asleep, whilst Tom stripped the barrels out of all their rifles and left the camp. When the dawn attack came, Tom’s team slaughtered the now awake Airsofters, who were barrel-less! Not everyone found it as funny as him….
    He had a wicked sense of humour, often laying plenty of ground work to lure you in, but equally could fall foul of jokes here and there. I recall, when the Epsom bunker flooded and after the waters had receded and it was time to test the electrics. Tom being Tom, sprayed WD40 over the consumer box and declared that it would drive the water out. Being that I didn’t want to test his theory, I made him switch the thing on. Suddenly he didn’t look so confident as he viewed the consumer box and gingerly pulled the main breaker on. BANG! A loud thunder clap erupted as I clapped two pieces of wood behind his ears. He screamed like a little girl then realised I’d had him over and burst into laughter.
    I think we all remember people in different ways, to me Tom was a good friend and when he wasn’t running back and forth to his van or trying to fix someone’s gun, there was a kind and generous man, with a wonderful sense of humour.
    I will be holding a whip around on Sunday for anyone who wishes to send flowers from Elite to the funeral and will post the details of the funeral later.
    Tom was a true gentleman, and a legend within airsoft. Many will not know, but Tom played a major part in the fight against the VCRA back in 2004-6. Without Tom things could be very different now, he mucked in and learnt to lobby parliament, including writing 3 personal letters to each of the 739 Lords amongst other campaigning.

Re: RIP Tom Andrews

A sad loss to the airsoft community, my condolences to his family, may he rest in peace
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Although I didn't know him personally, I know a lot who did. He was very popular and contributed a lot to the sport. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
      dsgdreamteam

Comment

Not someone I had to pleasure to meet personally, but I knew quite a few who were very fond. From what I've heard, someone who wasn't afraid to be bold, ambitious or try something new. The kind of airsofter I would have loved to have exchanged bbs with sometime. I know he will be sorely missed by many
        G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
        RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Sad news, my condolences to his family
          Da Posh Boi, innit

Comment

I never met the chap, but had talked with him briefly on a few occasions in the past on some of the older airsoft forums.
            I recall having some issues with an old gearbox not long after I started out, he offered to have a look at it for me if I sent it to him. Which he did and got it running like new. When I asked him how much he wanted for his services he said "Nothing"
            There aren't many people who go out of their way to help someone they've never met in person. Tom was one of them. An airsoft legend that will be missed by many! <3
            CBMPC:TV! youtube channel - here! - game footage, random adventures, reviews and much more coming soon!

Follow the CBMPC! airsoft team on twitter @cbmpc

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

klaus Find out more about klaus
            Working...
            X