Dyeing plastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyeing plastic?

I was originally just going to Krylon paint some plastic things I have (including a plastic mask). However I've heard that dyeing plastic is often more effective and longer lasting.

Has anybody actually done this?

As paint sits on top of the plastic and thus areas you touch and rub against things will eventually wear through the original colour. While dyeing plastic makes the colour go into the plastic and therefore chips/scratches and wear won't reveal the colour underneath.

My general research says you can only dye lighter to darker colours. So tan - > Black ok

Black -> tan not ok.

Any experience?

Thanks

Re: Dyeing plastic?

Yep, light to dark is the only option, BUT, & its a big but, not all "plastics" can be dyed, your gonna have to ascertain what the composition is of the kit you want to attempt, & then contact the various dye companies to check the suitability of their products.
    Im planning to dye an oversized acerbis fuel tank for my xt, would be much easier to paint it but apparently fuel fumes bleed trough the tanks plastics over time, causing paint to lift.
    To be honest, in your position I'd just stick to krylon, quicker & easier to repaint if you fancy a change etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tackle View Post
      Yep, light to dark is the only option, BUT, & its a big but, not all "plastics" can be dyed, your gonna have to ascertain what the composition is of the kit you want to attempt, & then contact the various dye companies to check the suitability of their products.
      Im planning to dye an oversized acerbis fuel tank for my xt, would be much easier to paint it but apparently fuel fumes bleed trough the tanks plastics over time, causing paint to lift.
      To be honest, in your position I'd just stick to krylon, quicker & easier to repaint if you fancy a change etc.
      Hi

One of the main things I want to dye is the rubbery type plastic of my Dye i4 mask. I needed some face protection and they had it on sale so I got it at a rock bottom price.

Electric blue is kind of conspicuous though!

Comment

The dye reccomend for tanks is called Ritt I think, check it out, might do for what you want.

Comment

as above, rit dye is pretty good

Comment

I just tried it with RIT Dye in a big boiling pot of water (was left soaking for 2 hours)

For the Dye i4 it only worked on the bright bits around the eyes and on the bottom of the mask it sort of got a little darker but almost as if it's dirty.

I did however dye several stetsons and a badly faded shemagh (was light grey) back to black.

Comment

Tbh, I'd have left it immersed for at least 24hrs

Comment

Treat it like you would a car bumper. Sand surface with some wet and dry sand paper, use specific plastic primer if needed and then spray the colour you want. You could also spray some clear coat on after the colour to finish depending on if you want the finished look to shine.

This method would allow you to go from a dark colour to a light colour which I believe dye wouldn't.

I've sprayed a few guns and always had decent results.
                Last edited by salazar; 20 October, 2016, 06:48.
                My Latest video

Comment

If used right, the modern rattle can is very effective. Plastic adhesion promotor, matt colour and 2k matt lacquer is all available. The 2k lacquer is quite resilient to wear.

Been painting professionally for over 30 years and often use the stuff on small work.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

KenIchikawa Find out more about KenIchikawa
                  Working...
                  X