Fogging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogging?

I switched over to a paintball mask a dye i4 over the summer. The first 3-4 times I used them they were perfect only fogging slightly in the last hour or so of gaming. This was good very good.

Last night they fogged pretty much instantly and I pretty much had to wipe them dry every few minutes. I thought thermal double pane lenses were supposed to stop fogging?

Any idea why this is happening? Are the lower temperatures causing this?

The only other changes since the last use are:

Cutting my hair

Wearing a plate carrier (I played in a fleece previously but have more stuff so required pouches to hold them in).

Are they a shady company and merely put on a coating that eventually wore off? Motorbike clothing companies used to do this all the time. They'd spray their clothing with water repellent so the first 2-3 times you went out in the rain you'd stay dry. The repellent would then wear off and it would no longer be water proof.

Any ideas as being able to see when I first got the mask rather than stumbling around in fog is a reason I really started to enjoy it a lot more.

Thanks

Re: Fogging?

i use a trick i learned from my detailing days.
    a good quality carnuba wax i used odk glamour wax it smells nice not pure chemicals. a thin layer on inside allow it to set then buff it up. my viper tactical glasses can be breathed directly on lens and it fades in a second or two. used them in a night game on tuesday and they worked perfectly.

Comment

It was actually the site. They had a massive hatch and windows open letting cold air in while at the same time having warm air from my face and breath.

I went to another site which closed its windows and it was perfect no fog whatsoever. :/

Comment

I have had success with drilling the lense, in airsoft and other uses.

I know someone is going to come in and say ill be blinded but whatever

take a small bit, like 2-3mm and drill lots of holes around the lense, just next to the frame, go slow on the drill, let it do the work.

I had some moto goggles years ago and they couldnt deal with the static nature of airsoft (compared to a motorbike) so i drilled about 15-20 holes along the top and also some on each side and the lower part of the lense. While they would still fog if you tried to, they would clear in a second or two.

despite what some clain a true no fog lense just does not exist, i have used a range of high end goggles in different sports and in the wrong conditions all can suffer from fogging, as such you should not work towards avoiding fogging alltoghether but to reduce it affects and speed up the recovery instead.

will have to try out karls suggestions as that sounds interesting

Comment

Originally posted by woottonp View Post
          I have had success with drilling the lense, in airsoft and other uses.

I know someone is going to come in and say ill be blinded but whatever

take a small bit, like 2-3mm and drill lots of holes around the lense, just next to the frame, go slow on the drill, let it do the work.

I had some moto goggles years ago and they couldnt deal with the static nature of airsoft (compared to a motorbike) so i drilled about 15-20 holes along the top and also some on each side and the lower part of the lense. While they would still fog if you tried to, they would clear in a second or two.

despite what some clain a true no fog lense just does not exist, i have used a range of high end goggles in different sports and in the wrong conditions all can suffer from fogging, as such you should not work towards avoiding fogging alltoghether but to reduce it affects and speed up the recovery instead.

will have to try out karls suggestions as that sounds interesting

Uh it's a thermal lens the air gap between the two lenses is what prevents the fogging! Drilling holes would completely compromise the thermal layer!

Comment

Originally posted by KenIchikawa View Post
            Uh it's a thermal lens the air gap between the two lenses is what prevents the fogging! Drilling holes would completely compromise the thermal layer!
            Sorry I should have said, I do it to single only. Though I only use double for very cold days now, drilled single the rest of the time

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wear a sweatband and slightly underdress for the weather - solved 90% of my fogging

Comment

It's just simple physics, moisture will condense on something that's colder than the air around it. The lens in your goggles was colder than the air inside the goggles so moisture condensed on the lenses. Thermal lenses help slow this down by having an air gap between the outer lens and inner lens but if your inner lens starts off cold (because it's November!) then it's not going to warm up.

Comment

Maybe I'll have to stop going to that site. The other places I go to are all heated (though sometimes uncomfortably).

Comment

get a fan for your goggles and it'll solve a lot of the problem.

Comment

I switched over from fan goggles because the fan whirr meant I couldn't hear anything.

My dye works pretty well tbh just not at that site as they have massive open shutters that lets the cold air in.

Comment

Buy some better fan goggles! Smith optics and ESS both do fans that are so quiet you can just about perceive the noise on the edge of your hearing.

Comment

I have revision desert locusts versions.

To be fair they're not that loud. The reason why I stopped using them wasn't really the fan it was because there was a penny sized gap between my lower mask and my goggle.

You'd think the odds of being hit here were low.

I was hit there every week multiple times via unlikely shots.

So I changed to a full face paintball mask instead. Which given the right conditions fogs a whole load less.

Comment

Agree with drilling holes, not in the front where you are looking but on the top and bottom of the goggles, you can make the holes 2mm so not big enough to let a BB through.

Sometimes anti fog solution just isn't enough on its own, you need some vents
                            My Latest video

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

KenIchikawa Find out more about KenIchikawa
                            Working...
                            X