Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snipers - How boring is it?

Originally posted by tackleberry1 View Post
    Ive played as a dedicated sniper for the past 3 years. My m4 went down in a game and i picked up my mates vsr gspec and was instantly hooked. As fopsy so nicely summed it up, its about learning the players, choosing shots and causing mayhem. I play at Cribbs in Bristol and the site is the perfect size and mix of terrain for it.
    Shame about the truely god awful respawn rules at cribs though. It's a nice site and I can see why sniping would be enjoyable, but it's all dragged down by the terrible count your team mate back in as many times as you like, or retreat a vague amount of distance and respawn.

You just get one person hiding behind cover endlessly tagging their mates back in. They should adopt the Warminster numbered respawn post system.
    "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

And on that note, anyone fancy the new Novritsch sniper rifle he is selling? The first lot is already sold out but at least this a weapon that you don't need to bin the new internals and upgrade before you have something decent. In fact it looks like you can't get better than this.
      AIRSOFT WEAPONS M4 (recoil)sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the_firing_dutchman View Post
        And on that note, anyone fancy the new Novritsch sniper rifle he is selling? The first lot is already sold out but at least this a weapon that you don't need to bin the new internals and upgrade before you have something decent. In fact it looks like you can't get better than this.
        Not really Interested, of what I have evidence for a majority of his stuff is just rebranded and sold at a profit. Kudos to him, people lap it up. But really you can spend the same with a knowledge and get better results generally. More over, any sniper worth their salt knows that when you get out there into the long range is as much about knowledge of your set up as it is the set up. I know I can get 100 meters from my rifle and regularly do, but I doubt anyone else could without time with it to learn it's feel and quirks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not both? Strap up a sniping rifle on your back and go out with your AEG, then when a flanking/defending opportunity arises, whip it out on a wall and take potshots on unsuspecting victims
          Originally posted by Lt. Macka
          big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

This is also a very reasonable idea... However knowing my luck I'll catch the barrel on a tree/shoot myself in the head

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
              Why not both? Strap up a sniping rifle on your back and go out with your AEG, then when a flanking/defending opportunity arises, whip it out on a wall and take potshots on unsuspecting victims
              I tried both once. It was a mission lol
              I reject reality and substitute my own

Comment

Originally posted by fopsy View Post
                Not really Interested, of what I have evidence for a majority of his stuff is just rebranded and sold at a profit. Kudos to him, people lap it up. But really you can spend the same with a knowledge and get better results generally. More over, any sniper worth their salt knows that when you get out there into the long range is as much about knowledge of your set up as it is the set up. I know I can get 100 meters from my rifle and regularly do, but I doubt anyone else could without time with it to learn it's feel and quirks.

However a non airtight rifle will never spit the bb as far as an airtight counterpart or any other individual part that gives you an advantage surely? When you talk of "its feel and quirks" what exact practical applications of are you thinking of? Not being an ass, just genuinely interested.

Comment

However a non airtight rifle will never spit the bb as far as an airtight counterpart or any other individual part that gives you an advantage surely? When you talk of "its feel and quirks" what exact practical applications of are you thinking of? Not being an ass, just genuinely interested.
                  Well yes and no, if you have a system with air leaks all over the place throwing bbs out the end of the muzzle at 500fps and one that is properly sealed throwing the bb at the same 500fps the distance would be the same (in an ideal world) the loss would be air efficiency, sound and realistically turbulence within the barrel but that is more to do with nozzle alignment.

As for a specific quirk of my rifle, I'm a left handed shooting and naturally I cant the rifle to the right, to compensate for this by have my scope and hop chamber aligned to the left slight. If you fire the rifle with no cant or right handed you get left drift after about 40meters and overall reduced hop and distance.

In the same way, if I got a rifle new with a dead straight hop and scope I'd get rightwards drift as I naturally cant the rifle.

Comment

Yet surely any air going anywhere else than as thrust behind the bb would be detrimental to its performance?

Comment

Yet surely any air going anywhere else than as thrust behind the bb would be detrimental to its performance?
                      As explained in the above example. If the bb leaves the barrel with the same force behind it the performance of flight will be the same. The only improvement will be air efficiency in a hpa system.

In a fixed air source system like a springer, you will see an improvement in fps but at that point you are just emparting a greater amount to of energy to the bb, which you could do with a bigger spring rather than better airseal.

Essential what I'm saying is better air seal only improves the efficiency of air transfer from your source to the barrel.

Comment

As explained in the above example. If the bb leaves the barrel with the same force behind it the performance of flight will be the same. The only improvement will be air efficiency in a hpa system.

In a fixed air source system like a springer, you will see an improvement in fps but at that point you are just emparting a greater amount to of energy to the bb, which you could do with a bigger spring rather than better airseal.

Essential what I'm saying is better air seal only improves the efficiency of air transfer from your source to the barrel.

Mate, pressure behind the bb makes a difference, as no leak means a higher initial acceleration when it rolls on the hop which settles as the bb reaches the end of the barrel versus lower initial pressure when backspin is applied which peaks a little later after the hop and has a bit less time to settle.

The system is optimum with zero leaks when measuring the same fps at the barrel.
                        Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                        big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
                          Mate, pressure behind the bb makes a difference, as no leak means a higher initial acceleration when it rolls on the hop which settles as the bb reaches the end of the barrel versus lower initial pressure when backspin is applied which peaks a little later after the hop and has a bit less time to settle.

The system is optimum with zero leaks when measuring the same fps at the barrel.
                          I sit corrected, sorry for any misinformation. That does actually make perfect sense, I was taking the hop out of the equation, which was my mistake.

Always learning

Comment

any sniper worth their salt knows that when you get out there into the long range is as much about knowledge of your set up as it is the set up. I know I can get 100 meters from my rifle and regularly do, but I doubt anyone else could without time with it to learn it's feel and quirks.

That sounds a hell of a range Fopsy, is this actual measured distance? from your posts I feel it probably is, so could you give us some details please. as you certainly know what you're talking about, and it sounds like you've given yourself, and certainly know how to use, a fair set up there.
                            "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

On that note, does everyone want to give me some insight into what Snipers they're using? And if you can be bothered, a list of the initial upgrades you made. Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by steve grey View Post
                                That sounds a hell of a range Fopsy, is this actual measured distance? if so could you give us some details please, sounds like you've got, and certainly know how to use, a fair set up there.
                                Measured distance using a golf range finder and measured distance of the field I test on. Actual distance is 97.2 meters.

As for set up aa hop chamber modified to fit flat custom flat nub, s-hop, nineball bucking, Wolverine bolt, tm vsr gspec, stock barrel polished It's flat to 86 meters can arc/over hop Consistantly on a target of 2 by 2 meters to 100-110 meters. Running at 400fps. 0.2 g and joule creep to 340fps with Geoff's 0.43g bb. Has had about 100 hours of fine tuning by myself and nearly a years play. Constantly cleaned and maintained.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

JoeGisby1 Airsofter Find out more about JoeGisby1
                                Working...
                                X