Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pistols to support Tracer units?

Hello,

I'm thinking of building a pistol loadout and thought of playing with a tracer unit. Also I've been told many times that adding extra weight to a GBBP pistol is not good for performance (cycling, damage), but some ppl say the design of some pistols won't be affected by this problem.

Does anyone know what are the best pistols to support a tracer unit, without performance loss?
    Any chances with P226s or Marui HiCapas 4.3? The new TM HK45 Tactical?

Thanks!

Re: Best pistols to support Tracer units?

i would imagine something where the barrel doesn't 'drop' would be ideal. The more weight you add to the end of the barrel, the more the slide has to work to lift it back into place. The HK45 comes with a suppressor already, right? Might be better suited as it would only be adding a little extra weight.

Comment

My 45 tactical works well with a tracer. Alternatively you could avoid the issue and go nbb. My tech thinks m9s would be ideal due to how the outer barrel works, but he has a hard on for m9s..

Comment

Cool thanks for your answers! I could but I'm not a big fan of NBBs haha, blowbacks just feel so cool :P
        Ideally that'd be awesome if P226s can support them too as they are my favourites of the moment! But I think they have a tilting barrel so I guess the cycling will be affected? :/
        But yea otherwise I'd look into the HK45!

Comment

The best GBB pistol for tracer unit without any loss in performance is a bit of a tall order.

The TM HK45 Tactical helps with its o ring around the threaded barrel but it'll still reduce the cycle speed due to the weight.
          I used an Osprey can during the winter on one and it worked, just dampened the performance.

Have you thought about TM's latest Beretta M9 Samurai Edge Albert edition? Expensive and looks crazy as hell, but it has a rail adapter/compensator type thing which has a built in thread. This would place the weight of the tracer unit on the frame instead of the barrel.
          http://www.youtube.com/badabingpictures

https://www.facebook.com/BadaBingPictures

Comment

I thought about it but I am not a big fan of M9s! However I thought about buying a SAS front kit on my current Glock!
            Im still looking for other inspiration though :P

Comment

I built a Glock 17 from scratch using guarder components, I run an ASG tracer on it with no problems.......

Comment

Oh that's interesting! I guess you have a metal threaded outer barrel then, could it be that a metal one can support more weight?
                Because I've always been told that it would result in damage or cycling problems etc :/

Comment

Tm fn57 with guarder threaded barrell 10mm to 14mm ccw adaptor and b&t tracer works a treat never had an issue

Comment

Originally posted by alexandretea View Post
                    Oh that's interesting! I guess you have a metal threaded outer barrel then, could it be that a metal one can support more weight?
                    Because I've always been told that it would result in damage or cycling problems etc :/
                    I had a few cycling issues to start with but that's because it was a guarder slide and metal outer barrel that were
                    Both bran new. I took a dremmel and some autosol to the barrel and it works fine, there's no extra weight being
                    Applied on the inner barrel and after about 1000 rounds I've not seen any sign of wear yet.

I personally think talk of wear/damage using a silencer on a normal outer barrel on a well made metal pistol is a load of tosh tbh, however I can see a problem lying with the adapters that have to be fixed to the inner barrel to attach a silencer as you are then directly adding weight to the inner barrel which will pull it down and Inturn likely put the hop unit out of alignment with the nozzle causing wear.

- - - Updated - - -

Be glad to send you a video showing you the pistol working with the tracer unit.

Comment

Yea I see I'd love to see the video, thanks!
                      Do adapters that have to be fixed to an inner barrel exist? Oo that's such a stupid design haha

Also if you guys want to show me some of your primary pistols, help yourselves! Inspire me hahaha

Comment

Yes there's a pro arms adapter and a few others that use a grub screw to lock onto a longer inner barrel. Which is a piss poor design, not only do you add weight to the inner barrel and hop unit you then run the risk of over tightening the scre and putting a crimp in the inner barrel which will jam the BB!

Comment

Originally posted by bumhulio View Post
                          Yes there's a pro arms adapter and a few others that use a grub screw to lock onto a longer inner barrel. Which is a piss poor design, not only do you add weight to the inner barrel and hop unit you then run the risk of over tightening the scre and putting a crimp in the inner barrel which will jam the BB!
                          I haven't had any problems using these, on most guns the hop unit and barrel assembly is fixed to the frame quite well so it won't affect cycling. They use 3 grub screws to secure and I'd think the threads would strip before deforming a brass barrel of normal thickness.

They aren't ideal though because you get a gap where you can see the inner barrel when the gun is out of battery, and they can work themselves loose over time.

The best option is to get a fixed barrel design like a WE Beretta 84 or Makarov, straight blowback guns (no locked breech). In my experience adding a suppressor will always slow down the cycle speed of a tilting barrel design even if only slightly. Even a rotary locking barrel like on a Px4 will slow down when weight is added.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

alexandretea Find out more about alexandretea
                          Working...
                          X