Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing Real-Steel mags

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble finding a supplier for Real-Steel AK magazines that will ship to the UK. I've found several sites, mostly based in the US that stock them cheaply (like $8 each...) but they refuse to ship internationally.
    I've heard rumours that if you were to clip the feed lips off the top of a magazine its no longer classed as a weapon, as is now a "mag repair kit" which can be legally shipped over. Is that true?

I'm looking to convert some to finalise my "rebel" loadout, as the crappy plastic ones just dont cut it, but refuse to pay out £30-40 per magazine.

If I can't find a supplier, I will have to stick with the likes of CYMA's metal highcaps, but I am a bit suspicious regarding general quality of them - I doubt the metal they use will be as durable, or be able to withstand the weathering techniques I'll be using.

So if anyone has any suggestions, links, comments etc its all appreciated.

Cheers
    sigpic

Re: Sourcing Real-Steel mags

As an alternative to the suspect CYMA metal magazines I've found a RealSword version

it weights a hefty, reassuring 300g - which is approxiamtely 80g more than the CYMA metal ones.
    If anyone has any experience with either of these, please post
    Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 18 August, 2010, 17:35. Reason: retailer link removed
    sigpic

Comment

Unless real-steal is some sort of brand name, how on earth do you expect a bullet magazine to feed bbs?

Cyma mags are really good for the money, I've never had any problems with any of mine. And you can find them on the bay for about £9 each

Comment

there are pleanty of places to buy real steel mags in the UK and they are legal to own without bits being broken off http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_magazines.htm (no airsoft stuff so happy to link)

However if you just want metal mags for your AEG rather than just real mags to stick in vest, just buy blooming metal airsoft mags.. cyma mags are fine the only ones I've seen have problems are hire gun ones when noobs fill them with pine needles and the like, and that will kill any hi cap till it's cleaned!

If you look at the second hand forums you could probably pick up a load of metal TM AK standards cheap over time great mags and no horrible hi cap rattle!
        Originally posted by Fenriz
        I deliberately and maliciously gun for anyone running a boxmag in any weapon that's not a proper support weapon. It's sick and wrong, and people that do it should be put on a register...

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
          Unless real-steal is some sort of brand name, how on earth do you expect a bullet magazine to feed bbs?

Cyma mags are really good for the money, I've never had any problems with any of mine. And you can find them on the bay for about £9 each
          Real steel isnt a brand name, I'm hoping to find some real AK magazines that I can convert to carry BB's. Theres a guide somewhere, but effectively you empty out the internals of the real magazine and fit it with the internals of a airsoft one, with a bit of chopping and modifying.
          Cheers for the thoughts on the CYMA ones, I may well end up getting some as I'm not sure if the Real Sword steel mags would fit in a TM AK47.

Originally posted by 273BeLow View Post
          there are pleanty of places to buy real steel mags in the UK and they are legal to own without bits being broken off http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_magazines.htm (no airsoft stuff so happy to link)

However if you just want metal mags for your AEG rather than just real mags to stick in vest, just buy blooming metal airsoft mags.. cyma mags are fine the only ones I've seen have problems are hire gun ones when noobs fill them with pine needles and the like, and that will kill any hi cap till it's cleaned!

If you look at the second hand forums you could probably pick up a load of metal TM AK standards cheap over time great mags and no horrible hi cap rattle!
          Have you seen the prices that rusmilitary ask?! Considering I'd be wanting 4-8 magazines I'd probably be wanting to take out a mortgage to afford them.

I'd prefer hard-wearing real magazines, with a bit of "authentic rusting" haha
          but I may end up having to compromise with CYMA or if they'll fit, Real Sword steel magazines.
          sigpic

Comment

Just buy G&P midcaps. Our friends north of the border have them in, and theyre awesome quality. Cheap(ish) too.
            AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

Yup, you're just making work for yourself. G&P AK47 Midcaps will be fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Greedo View Post
                Have you seen the prices that rusmilitary ask?! Considering I'd be wanting 4-8 magazines I'd probably be wanting to take out a mortgage to afford them.

I'd prefer hard-wearing real magazines, with a bit of "authentic rusting" haha
                but I may end up having to compromise with CYMA or if they'll fit, Real Sword steel magazines.
                yes I own one of the AK47 mags from them. This is the UK there is no mass market for real steel AK mags so that's the price you'll pay.

I really don't get why you don't just get some metal hi/mids they look so similar as to be the same and after five years softing I've never broke one plastic mag never mind metal one.
                Originally posted by Fenriz
                I deliberately and maliciously gun for anyone running a boxmag in any weapon that's not a proper support weapon. It's sick and wrong, and people that do it should be put on a register...

Comment

I'm convinced I had the idea after seeing what someone had done on a different forum, his Ak collection was fantastic.
                  But, you've all pursuaded me that the dedicated airsoft metal mags are fine for the job. It'd be a lot easier, cheaper, look just as good. After all, do I really need some seriously hard-wearing ones? I don't intend to actually take my AEG to a warzone.
                  sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Greedo Find out more about Greedo
                  Working...
                  X