Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

What is the value of a second hand item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the value of a second hand item?

I like looking at the appraisals threads to get an idea of whet things are worth. Recently someone was asking an appraisal on an AEG which included their list of upgrades. Someone pointed out that as a second hand item it would only fetch around 35% of it's value when first bought.

So my question is, can you put a percentage value on the second hand worth of an AEG?

Theoretical question: Assuming it's not a rare or particulalry unusual item, what would an AEG that was bought for £100 new be worth second hand?
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: What is the value of a second hand item?

So many variables included; rounds fired ect. There is no one way to find out how much it is worth than putting under appraisal.

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
    A brain?
    Originally posted by snuff
    Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

Depends how second hand, though usually anywhere from 50-70%.

Comment

One thing which might come into consideration is how much is it to buy new?

It might sound obvious but the prices of AEG's have rocketed in he past 3 years, a brand new TM P90 was worth £135! You'd be lucky to get it second hand for that price now.

So should the second hand price reflect what you payed for it new, or what the price of a new one is now?

Comment

It is all down to its popularity, reliability (of the manufacturer), upgrades used (some really don't hold their value), age and amount of use it has seen, price it can be had for new (now not when bought).

But 35% is a bit low unless it is a cheap china gun.

Comment

It's very difficult but in general:

- Weapons regardless of original price (that work) will not drop below £90.
            - Weapons tend to lose 40% - 50% value once second hand, regardless of age.
            - Upgrades hold very little value installed.

So you're £100 new weapon won't lose too much value in percentage terms. Where as something that was £200 new, would lose more value in percentage terms.

Comment

Depends on lots of things, but different guns will hold their value better than others.
              Quality will usually hold it's value well for most things but there is supply and demand comes into it as well.

Comment

I think every evaluation is a one off.

So if a second hand TM M16 goes for £xzx, it's unlikely another will go for the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                  It's very difficult but in general:

- Weapons regardless of original price (that work) will not drop below £90.
                  - Weapons tend to lose 40% - 50% value once second hand, regardless of age.
                  - Upgrades hold very little value installed.

So you're £100 new weapon won't lose too much value in percentage terms. Where as something that was £200 new, would lose more value in percentage terms.
                  That's an interesting breakdown.

The '£100' I suggested was a purely arbitary figure, but it's interesting that you feel that a working weapon won't usually go less than £90. I had been thinking that the loss in value of GBB pistols was lower than AEGs.

I felt that 35% was quite low, but you're suggesting that around 50% is more realistic, obvious variables aside.

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

I was talking in regards to AEG's there, but does apply in same way to GBB.

My point being a standard JG G36c will sell for maybe £100 - £110. A standard second hand TM G36c will sell for £120 - £130.

The TM cost a lot more new, but there seems to be a bottom of the market, which prices will not drop under.

Same again with GBB. £150 new pistol might fetch £100. A £90 new pistol will fetch £65.

Comment

50% - unless it's a PTW (always sought after), or a SOPMOD (the 'pocket money PTW').

Comment

all this talk about 50% is silly imo, of course it depends on MANY variables, but for example if you have a tm aeg new costing £200 in as new condition, it would be worth about £180, if it was sold for £100 i would expect it to have fired well over 100,000rounds, have scratches and marks all over and be in a rather bad condition, in my opinion an items value corresponds to how close it is too as new condition
                        BB
                        Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

Originally posted by balaclava ben View Post
                          all this talk about 50% is silly imo, of course it depends on MANY variables, but for example if you have a tm aeg new costing £200 in as new condition, it would be worth about £180, if it was sold for £100 i would expect it to have fired well over 100,000rounds, have scratches and marks all over and be in a rather bad condition, in my opinion an items value corresponds to how close it is too as new condition
                          BB
                          But then its not really second hand is it?

Comment

It's an interesting example. There's very few people who I would trust on here if they said something was actually new, and if they said 'as new' I'd still consider it second hand.

Looking at your £200 new price TM example, I probably wouldn't expect to pay £180 for something that was, for whatever reason, second hand. But at the same time if they were asking £100 for it (50% of the new value) I would be very suspicious...

Comment

one thing i have realised is that on this forum the way people class items' conditions varies greatly, more often than not in worse condition that certainly i would class it as after seeing pictures of it
                              BB
                              Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                              Working...
                              X