Wrong direction for airsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong direction for airsoft

Ok, is it me, or do others find what i'm about to type worrying.

A certain UK airsoft company, with nationwide sites, have an ad in this months AI with a picture of women drinking cocktails, and men who have been drinking (or have been posed to give that impression), and a quote that states 'Ideal event for stag and hen do's!!!!!!

Now, i like the fact that airsoft is still quite an underground sport, and that i have to explain what it is. I have no problem with new blood for the sport, but groups of half cut men and screeching women with L plates would ruin the sport.

Or am i over reacting.

A favour. Some of you may have an idea of the site i'm talking about. Please do not post the name, as it would result in the thread closing.
    I feel strongly about this subject, and would like to see airsoft stay as it is, without the need for stag and hen do's.

Ratty
    Trader Feedback.
    http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16017

Yorkshire Players Forum.
    http://www.zeroin.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Re: Wrong direction for airsoft

i think you're over reacting, i like seeing random things (ie those guys dress as warhammer guys a few month back at a woodland), i real don't think how half cut the men or how screechy the girls are, i really don't think they would come to a game as if they are about to go out on the piss
    Santa *creepy kiss* xXx

Comment

Depends what site you go to at the end of the day, milsim sites wouldn't allow it, so go there if you're worried about having this stag do invasion. However, as for the image of airsoft, it could be detramental, as many people, like myself like to take it more seriously, and it's important that the message of responsibilty is conveyed when people think of airsoft. Drunkereds and party animals on stag do's may ruin this.

Personally, I'm not too fussed if occassionally people want to go on a stag do for a game of airsoft, after all it is just a recreational activity for FUN. However it may become hard to maintain the image of airsoft that we airsofters want to give, ie, responsibility. We want airsoft to be given respect and taken more seriously (or at least i do!)

I do agree with you though, i prefer playing more seriously, i like to take airsoft in general seriously, and it would annoy me a little seeing a lot of these people often at airsoft games who just mess around etc, but i doubt it will happen that often, so it's no real cause for concern at this moment in time i reckon.
      My Trader Feedback - http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...6065-Dan-Jones

Comment

Originally posted by santa View Post
        i think you're over reacting, i like seeing random things (ie those guys dress as warhammer guys a few month back at a woodland), i real don't think how half cut the men or how screechy the girls are, i really don't think they would come to a game as if they are about to go out on the piss
        Don't get me wrong, i have no probs with a bit of fun in Airsoft, i really don't.
        Its just seen the result of stag do's, both as a doorman and as a marshall for a paintball site,guys drinking, being threatening and even violent to other players, generally ruining the day for all involved.
        Now, i'm not saying every stag and hen do is the same, and they will most likely have a great day out with no hassle, but if thats the sort of day they want, let them stick with paintball.

Dan, its the image of Airsoft i'm worried would be sullied. I generally milsim, but still love a good walk on day. I just feel that if airsoft starts to be marketed the same way paintball is, we'll lose a lot of the character that makes our sport great.

Ratty
        Last edited by ratty1968; 14 May, 2009, 13:31.
        Trader Feedback.
        http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16017

Yorkshire Players Forum.
        http://www.zeroin.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Comment

The whole trust thing would be an issue with Stag do's as well in my opinion. These guys pay for their full day of laughs and with no obvious hit marking system other than trust I can see that side of things going bad with the "general public."

CA M249 Para - TM Glock 18c - Cyma ASCU AKM (048M)

Comment

yeah,
            this isn't representative of a shift in attitude of "airsoft" as a whole at all.
            In actual fact, i reckon that mil-sim event are becoming more popular, but i know what you mean, it is nice to be part of the underground sport
            TK Airsoft- Take one "from" the team

Agent 99: Inside your belt buckle, there is a pill, if taken it will cause death in 9 seconds...
            Maxell Smart: Great, but how exactly do i get them to take it?

Comment

I think its good.

Mean's I can drill them to hell and fire moscarts at pointblank ranges for lulz
              SAVE OUR SPORT
              http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Comment

Hell if they wanna play and they're going to play as they should, i havnt got a problem if they are there for a hen night, birthday, funeral, whatever, but the moment they turn up and we judge them immediatly for thier reasons for playing, thats a bad place. Why should we treat them differently from any other newbie. Many decent players with multiple years of gaming under thier belts, including myself, started airsofting at a birthday bash.

But i do have to agree with Ratty, i feel that part of airsoft will be lost if it gets marketed the same way paintball does (woodsball that is- i have a friend who is in professional paintball and he gets pissed if i dont make the distinction). From that point, i dont think mil-sim or the re-enactment (WW2, Vietnam) sides of airsoft would be effected at all, as no one is going to go out and buy a fully geared M4 and a full set of warrior RICAS for a game cos hes mate is getted hitched. And if he did, i doubt he run around like a tool not playing by the rules.

What there is a risk of, is your average sunday skirmish getting an influx of this kinda event, many sites already advertise it, along with corporate events. As ive said before, despite the worry, ive never seen one, and if i have, they clearly were no more out of the ordinary to your average rentals, i really dont think that at present, its a problem we need to worry about.

Despite the fact airsoft IS become more popular (a result of friends telling friends telling friends etc) Johnny public still looks at us as either a bit wierd or something worse, but you know what they say 'no publicity is bad publicity'. As long as these guys know the rules, and play by em, not a problem.
                G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
                RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I can't see stag or hen do's being too much of a problem provided the sites catering for them have a few basic groundrules laid down (no entrance if under the influence, no drinking on site, etc).
                  AGM Scar L (Black) - KWA Glock 17 - CA B&T MP5A4

Comment

I think that most sites that anyway, airsoft guns and booze is a recipe for disaster
                    G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
                    RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I think the only way this could be successful would be to hire out skirmish sites solely to stag, hen, birthday whatever

say for example hiring it out on a thursday with only their party having access to the site and facilities - this would prevent regular skirmishers being effected, means the people having the do would have a better time as they have exclusive access to the site and can fill it with their friends

doing this would generate more money for your skirmish site which should better normal skirmishers experiences in the long run - and should prevent the airsoft image being too dismantled

also doing this - if anybody on the stag do or whatever realised that airsoft is a good sport - they may wish to invest and play it properly as a regular airsofter
                      |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

I do belive that it is intended for party days. Basically private bookings which happen all the time.

No need to get worried because most private bookings are for staggers, birthdays or just for something to do. It just seems that one site or whatever has taken a questionable advert picture if there are drunk people in it.

It's just a business to them, money is money. Be it from a hardcore airsoft enthusiast to a bunch of lads looking for a fun afternoon. The plus side is that they enjoy it and would then take up the sport.
                        SAVE OUR SPORT
                        http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Comment

I have been at games hwere there have been stag do's.
                          They we the same as any other new player to the sport.
                          Just because its a stag do doesn't mean they are pd. I think I know which site you mention in your original post and know they have a very strong anti alcohol and drug policy on site. They are not encouraging pd people to play with number plates on their backs. Thats for the evening. They are jsut advertising it as a good day out with your mates to bond and to have a laugh.
                          Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 15 May, 2009, 05:39.

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9861
                          http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/fo...eputation=2700

Comment

Best stag do in airsoft Ive ever seen was a bunch of guys (airsofters) who came in their tuxes and suits to a cqb urban site... was very Heat-style, one point slings on aegs under the suits!

Id be very surprised if they were letting people drink and airsoft... its more likely like the paintball/outward bound weekend places where they offer facilities to drink AFTER the days events. Not a problem IMHO, if it gets more people to the sport Im all for it

Comment

Agreed, my perception is that the Stag/Hen have a good sober day with the outdoor activity (Airsoft/Paintball/Go-Carting) THEN get pissed after the event.

Not a problem to me as they'll generally be private hire days for the site.

You'll also get sceptical guests who get really hooked after the experience and end up on here.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ratty1968 Find out more about ratty1968
                              Working...
                              X