Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Has anyone tried one of the MOSFETS on..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried one of the MOSFETS on..

Ok found a certain site selling mosfets that are tiny? hardly bigger then the 16AWG cable there attached to.

There is a mini type mosfet available... Just wondered if anyone has ever bought / used on of these as they just look to small to actually work! saying that I dont really know how big they "should be" so its just an observation.

Any reviews would be great as I need a couple of mosfets from anywhere I cant get them.

Thanks, Leon
    Last edited by Gaffa; 24 February, 2011, 18:16. Reason: It is not okay to mention other companies that sell airsoft or related gear, regardless of the product in question...

My feed back
    http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9280

Re: Has anyone tried one of the MOSFETS on..

They can be tiny, yes. The size mostly comes from the board mosfets are mounted to. The chip itself is about 5mm square. I dont have any experience specifically with those, but since they are electronical, they would follow normal rules... Smaller= higher resistance (still tiny) and also, less durable. For airsoft aplications I doubt its an issue to be honest. Some mosfets can take ~120V and 30A non stop. I very much doubt that the mini one can manage that. Face value, I cant see it being a problem.

What time zone are you in? or did you really post that at 4am? Get some sleep and stop thinking about airsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorLandmark View Post
      What time zone are you in? or did you really post that at 4am? Get some sleep and stop thinking about airsoft.
      LOL... Don't worry "Leon_London" I was doing pretty much the same...

Regarding the MOSFET, I'm pretty sure "MajorLandmark" has hit the nail right on the head with that answer. As he said, size does matter as far as resistance goes, but theoretically for the power you are putting through it, it should be fine.

If you end up getting it then please let us know how it pans out.

Thanks,

Alex (mj23lj)
      Trader Feedback:
      New Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5557
      Old Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9461-mj23lj

Comment

I'd like to strongly disagree with the above posts. I had a MOSFET in a G36. Was a normalish one. Nothing special. Wouldn't handle the load that was being drawn through it. So it regularly overheated and cut out. If it wasn't a protected FET, it might have caught on fire. Choosing a FET capable of handeling your power levels is vital in my opinion. Those small CKW FETs have little to no practical aplication. By the time you've got enough power to cause arching of the trigger, that's already too much for the FET to handle. If you're looking at a Turbo or Magnum motor I'd reccoment a FET (or 2) capable of handeling 100a constant drain. In lesser aplications, 50-70 should be fine. Those CKW FETs just aren't worth bothering with.

Airosft aplications actually require rather a large amount of power. When compared to the other things FETs are used for (apart from RC cars) they require up to 10xs as much power handeling capability.

The amount they are charging for a FET is rediculous as well. I'd like to point you in the direction of a shop to buy the raw components from, but I can't. And you shouldn't have mentioned that hong kong airsoft retailer either.
        sigpic
        Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
        I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

4awg is capable of 100a for under 3m with a 3% volt drop on a 12v system the lower the volts the larger the cable needed to reduce volt drop/ fire
          4awg is 19mmSq.

Comment

At most I would be using them with 9.6's I have a Tm m14 socom project and also a JG m733f that im making into a M723 sniper (like the one in black hawk down) so will be using semi auto in both a lot.

As for posting the site I thought as long as its not something that Z1 sell then it wasn't an issue I was a bit worried about the name but its not exactly like the shops a secret and no one knows about it, you should be ok linking the parts, only problem is I dont think I would have the knowledge to build it thats why I fancied a ready made one.

I did look at the panther one posted up but it seems a lot, probably because of the programmable functions it comes with which I dont need.

Leon

P.s Majorlandmark, I work 1am - 8am so most of my posts happen around then, its good tho as I have an excuse for writting utter cack as I can just say I was tired! :D
            Last edited by Leon_London; 8 January, 2009, 20:50.

My feed back
            http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9280

Comment

OK. So you're telling a moderator that he's wrong about the rules... :P

Mentioning that shop is "illegal" on these forums. That shop sells parts Z1 sell. The part you're talking about isn't sold by Z1. But most of the things you can buy on Z1 can be had from that shop as well. The glorious hosts of this forum don't like that. No idea why they're so strict about it, but that's not for me to decide. I was nearly banned for mentioning a HK based retailer in the past.

I've seen many people run 9.6s at 425fps without any need for a FET unit. You'll be fine without one. If you want one to see if it makes any difference to the trigger response or whatever, go for it. Why not. You can use Google, to find MOSFET wiring diagrams.

As for me linking to the fet, I had a feeling Z1 sold them. Turns out they don't so I'll link you to the place I got mine.
              http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=3545859
              That's a fairly pricey self protected jobby. Should be great for your purposes.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=5429608
              That would also be a pretty good choice. Not protected though. But then at that price, you could get 2 and be overly safe about it. Wiring FETs in paralel is also pretty easy, just have to split every wire that goes to one fet to go to both. Problem is the space confines if you do that. I think one of those should be ample though. And then compare that's power handleing ability to the CKW FETs, and then the price as well. Makes sence to wire it yourself.
              sigpic
              Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
              I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

heat dissipation is a big problem with MOSFETS. The reason most are large is because the tiny chip is surface mounted on a massive heat sink. I've been building my own electronics for Airsoft as I refuse to pay $90 for a LiPo protector and a voltage regulator when the components will cost me £15 to make 3 from Farnells.

My concern with a tiny MOSFET is where does all the heat go when the current jacks up? Some of the new lipos can put out +30A bursts and the back voltage is pretty nasty as well!
                Kiran Payne
                TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil
                Looking for another TM G17 and a TM M870

sigpic

Comment

I think he will have already made his decision tbf

Comment

Point. I'd be interested to hear what his decision was =)
                    Kiran Payne
                    TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil
                    Looking for another TM G17 and a TM M870

sigpic

Comment

You love your necromancy don't you?

Comment

2 in an hour

Comment

Methinks it's time for someone to close this for obvious reasons...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kagedwolf View Post
                            Methinks it's time for someone to close this for obvious reasons...
                            but if its closed S3V3R can't necro it in 2 years time

Comment

Originally posted by S3V3R View Post
                              Point. I'd be interested to hear what his decision was =)
                              Last Activity: 8th June, 2011.

So i guess you won't be getting that information anytime soon

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Leon_London Find out more about Leon_London
                              Working...
                              X