Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Airsoft ever go metric?

Originally posted by Kingwell View Post
    to be honest the most accurate way of working out a weapons power is the Joule... which is what they use in a few EU countries.. this way you can chrono with any weight round and still get an accurate recording...

i mean seriously... who actually uses .2g rounds above 300fps..
    Me, my site rules stipulate 0.2s
    HK MP5k PDW//IMI Uzi//HK MP5a4//HK MP5a5//M3 Grease Gun//HK51//L119a1//HK G36k//Colt M653//Colt M733 with M203//Steyr AUG A1//AMD 65//DSA SA58//Colt M16vn//H&K G3a3//Sig P226//Colt 1911a1//Sig P226r//STI 2011

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
      Except where ammo is concerned - 5.56mm (M4) and 9mm (M9)...
      and .45 (1911) and .50 (MGs + a certain Anti-materiel rifle many people know)... .308 Winchester... They cant make their mind up. 9mm and 5.56 (and 7.62 too I guess) are examples of Nato standards, ie not american origin.

Comment

Originally posted by andysmith View Post
        I agree, 328fps is a bit of an odd sounding limit, 100m/s sounds much more reasonable (although perhaps gives an arbitrary feel).

Why shouldn't it give an arbitrary feel? It is. The government guidelines state that a projectile fired at about 1J is considered safe. Although they still recommend the use of eye protection. 1J was a nice convenient power level to test. Just like back when firearms laws were invented, and the section 5 firearms, and the lower end of the power bracket for a proper air rifle, is 1 ft/lb. I wonder how much thinking they had to do to come up with that figure.

Generally site limits are either 1J or 350fps. The 350fps seems more plucked out the air than any of the others to me. It's somewhere nicely between the government guideline of 1J and the 1ft/lb of law. Yet conveniently expressible in a nice round figure when tested with a .2 through a chronograph that gives a reading in feet per second.

Moving onto sniper rifles. Most site limits are 2.32J. I don't know what that works out to be in ft/lb only that it's 500fps. Wow, 500, very nice round number. What does it make an M/S?
        sigpic
        Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
        I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Originally posted by dope_on_a_rope View Post
          Moving onto sniper rifles. Most site limits are 2.32J. I don't know what that works out to be in ft/lb only that it's 500fps. Wow, 500, very nice round number. What does it make an M/S?

500 fps = 152 m/s, which could quite easily be called 150 m/s to keep it a nice round number.

Comment

Originally posted by dope_on_a_rope View Post
            500fps with 0.2g BB = 2.323590826 J or 1.713792644 ft/lb

My local's limit is 450fps = 1.882108569 J or 1.388172042 ft/lb

Comment

Originally posted by Grounded_Pilot View Post
              5.56mm = 0.218897638 inches... "I'm outta ammo! Someone thow me some...'0.218..errr...' something like that"
              don't they call 5.56mm .223inches over that side of the pond?
              trader rating

Comment

Originally posted by GREG_BURTON View Post
                don't they call 5.56mm .223inches over that side of the pond?
                I think civilians do, but the military don't. Just like the US military tends to use metres and kilometres (makes the maths easier).

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Grounded_Pilot Small time technician, based in Norfolk/Suffolk. Airsoft devotee...! Find out more about Grounded_Pilot
                Working...
                X