Iron Sights, Both eyes open...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Sights, Both eyes open...

As far as I am aware, the "correct" method to shoot with when using iron sights (and optics arguably, but I don't bother) is to have both eyes open. However, when doing this, I get double vision. So I see both the left hand side of the gun, and the "view" through the sites at the same time. Is there anyway to alter this? I've just bought a DIS, and ideally I'd like to use it properly. Thanks!

Re: Iron Sights, Both eyes open...

You get used to it i was exactly the same.
    just got to keep at it aiming at things, its due to dominate eyes n all that business.

Comment

try when on the range, using a eye patch to cover your other eye whilst keeping both eyes open, eventually your brain ignores what the non dominent eye sees
      trading WE M16A1 for CYMA or RS SVD with PSOP
      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ting-trades%29

Comment

Ok, thanks guys!

Comment

Or just do whatever works for you... I dont/cant use both eyes open with iron sights, when I was taking my RAF marksmanship test back in the cadets I was taught to shoot right handed with just one eye open, which was hard for me as Im left handed and left dominant eye, the eyepatch idea works though, that helped me a lot!

really though nobodys going to care if "youre not using that sight properly! RAGE!" plus when shooting with an airsoft weapon 9/10 the iron sights are only going to be roughly accurate anyway.

Comment

I generally close my reaction side eye, aim, then reopen my eye. Just makes it much easier for some reason.
            sigpic
            Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
            I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
              Or just do whatever works for you... I dont/cant use both eyes open with iron sights, when I was taking my RAF marksmanship test back in the cadets I was taught to shoot right handed with just one eye open, which was hard for me as Im left handed and left dominant eye, the eyepatch idea works though, that helped me a lot!

really though nobodys going to care if "youre not using that sight properly! RAGE!" plus when shooting with an airsoft weapon 9/10 the iron sights are only going to be roughly accurate anyway.
              I suppose I could just close the eye when I'm about to fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post

Yeah i was the same im left handed etc and still am but has learnt to fire all firearms right handed.

Originally posted by Utrinque Paratus View Post
                I suppose I could just close the eye when I'm about to fire.
                Yup thats what i did before!

Comment

Don't think it really makes a difference as it's airsoft, to be honest... As mentioned- do what's comfortable for you, but if you really want to shoot with one eye open then, again as mentioned just keep practising. Have taught myself to do it and although I still prefer shutting my left eye it is more than doable and is getting ever easier with practise.

Comment

The way it was explained to me is that the main reason for both-eyes-open is that the open one closes a bit when you close the other. That changes the vision in the open eye, and affects how well you can see. It's also harder to keep just one eye open.
                    This is why the patch works.

Also, red dot scopes are intended to blur away, leaving the dot in the field of view.

Comment

You could just try closing both eyes and then shoot!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JOE90 View Post
                        You could just try closing both eyes and then shoot!!!
                        Is he using a Mac 11? :D
                        Originally posted by mr lean 81
                        painting is part of a manufacturing process, you dont buy a car without paint on it do you???

(unless its a DeLorean)

Comment

LOL could be could be, had an mp5k gbb, thats all you could do with that gun, blink and the mag would be empty
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes I find this helps with optics as you can see the wider view of what's going on, i.e if someone's about to sneak up on you

Comment

Easiest way is to semi close the eye your not using, kind of squint the weaker eye that way the dominant takes over but you still have a bit of peripheral vision on your left hand side instead of being practically blind on that side.

(Of course if your in a team this shouldn't matter as you'll have a squad mate a few meters to your left. Unless of course your far left flank, then lets face it, your screwed or put a left handed player there.)

This Post may contain my opinions and if you disagree with them Tough S**T!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Utrinque Paratus Find out more about Utrinque Paratus
                              Working...
                              X