Legal fps limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal fps limits?

Please would someone post a link to an official site (government/police etc) that shows why an AEG firing on full auto at over 350ish fps suddenly becomes a section 5 firearm.

I've looked at so many sources on the net, including reading the current firearms and airgun laws cover to cover, and can't find anything.

There are limits for airguns, and at the end of the day airsoft guns (RIF or IF) are legally airguns, but there is no mention of full auto changing the limits in the airgun legislation.

Have I missed the obvious, or is this simply an urban myth, that nearly all airsofters and forums perpetuate.

I'm not interested in personal opinions, I want hard facts!
    sigpic

Re: Legal fps limits?

Ill try and find the site- i did have a link somewhere round here- but the laws dont directly relate to FPS, its all about energy- eg a .20g BB fired at X FPS will reach X Joules, which determines the legality of the velocity.

But there are rules regarding automatic fire. I believe that no one in the UK, with the exception of the army is allowed to have automatic guns, even the police have semi automatic weapons (or so i believe), and the rules relate to this. As i said, il try to dig up the links i have to the legal facts
    G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
    RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

after doing some hunting i foun the following and it was a few sites and one being the UK Airsoft Governing Body

Fps limits. AEGs / Sniper Rifles
      The Firearms Act 1968 defines a firearm “a lethal barreled weapon of any
      description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged”. In
      this context, a “lethal weapon” means a weapon capable of firing a projectile with
      sufficient force to inflict more than a trivial injury, i.e. with a force sufficient to
      puncture the skin. The force with which a firearm is able to deliver a projectile is
      normally expressed in terms of the kinetic energy it generates at its muzzle – the
      “muzzle energy”. This force is normally expressed in units of foot pounds (ft/lb) or
      joules (J).” Following the case of Moore v Gooderham the level at which lethality
      is set is 1.35 joules and whilst the ammunition used was not airsoft ammunition
      but airgun pellet the difference in relative penetration of ballistic gelatin by airgun
      pellets and airsoft ball bullets is 0.01 joules.
      On the basis of this information the following guidelines are provided:
      1. All guns used in Airsoft games against another player must not exceed
      328fps.
      2. Sites may use a discretionary limit of +10% when chronographing guns.
      3. It is advised that the discretionary upper limit is not publicised.
      Exempt sites: Where a site has obtained specific and unambiguous written
      confirmation from an insurer that the Public Liability cover provides for the use of
      High powered, single action, sniper rifles then the Guideline limits will not apply.

Provided, therefore, your Airsoft model does not exceed the UK limits, as recommended by the majority of UK Airsoft Site Operators, and you do not brandish or display your Airsoft model in a "Public Place", you should have no problems regarding your Airsoft model. These limits stand at 328fps for any airsoft AEG capable of semi-automatic or automatic fire, and 500fps for any single action

hope this has helped

Kayle
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Parky
      Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

The problem is there is nothing clearly written down. Would help, if there was! :D

It would seem to be a mix of some laws regarding "wounding", and guidance only on what could potentially be the velocity to wound.

You'll need to see The Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969

Comment

if you read my post i found info on the airsoft governing body wich states nothing above 328 = 10 % which is 360

EDIT and thats the law :P
          sigpic
          Being offended by the deaths of over 6 million people's almost as bad as not using the sales template.

Comment

That is only guidance from a governing body. (No legal standing).

The OP is after actual statutes, or case law, which makes the point.

Comment

this is now LAW

http://www.ukasgb.org.uk/faqs.htm
              sigpic

Comment

read the home office guidlines on the practical airsoft site.
                anything under 1ft pound / 1.35j is classed as incapable of puncturing skin under home office guidlines and therefore does not fall in the catagory of air weapon.
                exceding this will place an aeg in airweapon classification.
                full auto airweapons are illegal under section 5 classification ask any firearms dealer/ armourer.
                theres alot of info on that site but due to copyright protection wont let me post a link
                m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

quote form home office - page 6

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publ...df?view=Binary

"i) Air weapons and ammunition for air
                  and gas-operated weapons
                  Air guns, air rifles and air pistols are exempt
                  from the certification requirement if they are
                  not of a type declared specially dangerous
                  by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons)
                  Rules 1969 or the Firearms (Dangerous Air
                  Weapons) (Scotland) Rules 1969.
                  The Rules provide that any air weapon is
                  “specially dangerous” if it is capable of
                  discharging a missile so that the missile has,
                  on being discharged from the muzzle of the
                  weapon, kinetic energy in excess, in the case
                  of an air pistol, of 6 foot lbs or, in the case
                  of an air weapon other than an air pistol,
                  12 foot lbs."

EDIT : 1 foot pound = 1.3558179483314004 joules (exactly)
                  |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

And Airsoft sites have a 500fps single shot limit....

This is getting quite confusing...

Comment

the limit is a guidance - 500 fps i think is stated on one of the airsoft sites such as ukara or something as a guidance for airsoft guns

we dont really need 2000 fps or something - i dont want to make people bleed and imbed bbs in people skin
                      |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

found a usefull link from my firearms forum
                        http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/uk-law.asp
                        m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

tecnicaly 500fps snipers are in a grey area,they are low powered air rifles, and shooting someone with this is classed as assualt,if not more nowadays.

can i ask why you have brought htis up AGAIN
                          .its been done to death over the years(the 8 ive been playing its been brought up 2-3 times in a big way) and never gets anywhere,bar arguing and scaremongering.

most people just realise that were better being safe and sticking to the guide lines We/the government have set and have left it at that.
                          we want to keep our sport thats why.
                          but you always get the odd few that dont care and want to do what they want.
                          user name changed from b*tcht*ts

Comment

the most worrying point is that under the 2007 vcr bill any retailer that mail orders a weapon that strays into low power airweapon classification is seriously breaking the law as it now stands unless it is sent to a local rfd for collection by the customer.

Comment

Hi all due to popular demand I am going to lower the limit at the site for all weapons. We will go to the max legal limit and trust players to be honest when shot. All weapons will be chrono'd before the day session is started.
                              Mark

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                              Working...
                              X