Dye or spray a vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dye or spray a vest

Hi I was hoping somebody might gave done this so they can tell me which option is best. I did think about spraying the vest but I thought the paint would just flake off in the end which is why I'm thinking if dying it. Had anybody attempted thus before or know if it's possible and what the results will be.

Will be dying a tan vest to black

Re: Dye or spray a vest

I sprayed my tan warrior 901 and pouches with black paint and it came off after a good bit of usage i never used krylon but i would expect that to be the best for it.

Picked up a can out of homebase for outside use so it is waterproof to some degree....

I would say dying would be harder to as if it is cordura it wouldnt take easily because of being a plasticy waterproof fabric...

Painting with krylon would be my option
    Pathfinders. NI

sigpic

Comment

This has been up before. Depends on what the vest is made of, most vests are made of nylon which is a form of plastic and will not absorb most 'off the shelf' dye kits and will leave the colour faded and patchy. Best way is to spray if you want the correct flat colour but put it on in coats and don't build it up too thick then it wont crack.
      Over 150 positive sales & trades on this and other forums!

Comment

Thanks a lot people. Spray it is

Comment

i would say a combination might work.

dye it first, to give a "base" to it. then spary over VERY lightly, leave to dry. and repeat,

looking for around 6-7 layers - you dont have to cover the entire vest with each layer, bits of tan will still show through to start with, but just keep on with the thin layers and it will work, and not peel off to easy

Comment

Just done it myself and krylon is the best way works really well so do that

Comment

brilliant guys thanks

Comment

i heard dye will ruin it

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

warmy Impulsive, Impatience & always skint Find out more about warmy
                Working...
                X