Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made NVGs...

Hope this goes here, didnt really know where else to put it,
    Hi all after seeing Sam so's epic loadout in pics of your gear I had a sudden urge to buy some NVGs (I will actually use them as 75% of my games are the night games in the Epsom Tunnels which is pitch black at some points)
    BUT, after having a look round at the very cheap end of the market ones, including the HM armed forces Night 'vision googles' (which themselves are 75-100 quid) I decided, perhaps its possible to create my own, be it naff but useable NVGs.
    So I serched some more and found this guide;
    http://factoidz.com/how-to-make-your...r-50-part-one/ (Part 1)
    and,
    http://factoidz.com/how-to-make-your...r-50-part-two/ (part 2)
    But this was farrrrr to techy for me to understand as I am a visual learner and got rather confuzzled, then I found this video,
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...vision-headset
    Brief and not really a how to nor a step by step guide but still, it put things into perspective for me.
    So, I've been thinking about it and I've decided I'm going to give it a try and most crazily of all, try and fit it into this, (for external appearance only)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forces-Steal...0897426&sr=8-1
    (dont worry I aim to take the crappy plastic head straps off as I plan to mount it on my helmet, which already has an NVG mount on it lol :p)
    Oh and use a ring of LEDs such as this instead of a row of them like in the video;
    http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=For...w=1280&bih=585
    SO....
    My questions are,
    Has anyone else here ever tried something like this before? How hard do you reckon it would be as im not very techy myself and would anybody be interested in making one aswell?
    Let me know what you think,
    Cheers
    Feenix
    sigpic
    G&P M16A1, CA XM177, CYMA AKM AIMS, KJW CO2 1911, WELL MP5K GBB, M4 with M203

Re: Home made NVGs...

I remember richardy did one

Comment

its doable but tbh its better to save your time and buy the call of duty ones for £50 i picked some up on here for £45 and they work a treat, probabl abit better quality then ones that are home made.

im thinkin about rewiring mine and puting them on my mich

cheers, cw

Comment

just buy a basic set home made ones may work but real ones are not only better but most importantly alot more robust
        |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Bear in mind that if it is literally dark, NVG won't work on their own. They work by amplifying any available light. If there is no light (possible in tunnels) there's nothing for them to amplify. IR LED illuminators are usually provided for just that reason.

Comment

yukon ris IR torch
            |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Cheers Lee, thought i'd seen it before, didnt know you changed your name?
              @Chris Wheeler, yeh I've looked at then, but there massive! even if they were mich mounted theyd still be too long for me to be able to look down my sights.
              @Shadow captain, yeh but thats looking to set me back £100-300 :/ I dont have that kind of money, making a home made one is ALOT cheaper and the extra added plus side, as seen in the video, I can hook it up to my camera for recording in night vis which is great as I'm a film production student and im currently making some small movies
              and Oh I'll have a look at that, hadnt seen/ thought of one of those, cheers
              @No1 Sonuk, I know, thats why I'm getting the ring of IR LEDs to go around the front of the optic to push IR light out in the direction im looking, like the ones in the links.
              I love how all this runs off a simple 9 volt battery though!
              Feenix
              sigpic
              G&P M16A1, CA XM177, CYMA AKM AIMS, KJW CO2 1911, WELL MP5K GBB, M4 with M203

Comment

Still being made but here's the product so far:

Intensifier cost £30 from ebay - and is a multistage gen 1 which is equivlent to a high performing gen 2.

Can see miles in good light.

Internals:

Comment

You built your own Starlight?

That's f*cking awesome, despite it being incredibly ugly :p

Comment

Bravo, could you make me one? Seriously looks great,

Comment

It's a heavy beast aswell.

If i were to buy a proper made one, would of cost £300 + To make, it was 2 figures in price.

Originally posted by FunkycHUNKY View Post
                      Bravo, could you make me one? Seriously looks great,

Possibly mate, I have been thinking of it. I'll get back to you.

Comment

looking at doing one earlier today , im going to pick up a Dummy PVS14 from a banned bay site , and a IR sensitive NV cctv/spy camera from amazon and wire it into viewfinder from a video camera all inside the pvs14 dummy

Comment

Originally posted by bravotwozero View Post
                          Possibly mate, I have been thinking of it. I'll get back to you.
                          Cheers, would look great on my m4 for a Old school look

Comment

They're actually old British Army surplus intensifier tubes - from what i've researched they're possibly the same ones used in these:

Though i've read the type of tube im using has been used in tanks and on US weapons in vietnam. It's an old design but works amazing. Really shows despite only being gen1, the military had decent gen1 intensifiers, making them a civi modern gen 2 equivlent.

Comment

did you get yours from the netherlands off fleabay?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Feenix Find out more about Feenix
                              Working...
                              X