New piston anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New piston anybody?

Just came accross this on a different forum and thought it was worth a viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKs8WCYNo6o
    Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Re: New piston anybody?

Without seeing the effect on say a TM piston, it don't mean too much.

Plus, when is your piston ever under pressure in any other direction that length ways?

Comment

Jag, will do a video at the week end :D

I'm gonna get a SHS HT motor and some SHS 7 tooths so I can start going for a Higher RPS.

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
      A brain?
      Originally posted by snuff
      Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1u-4...eature=related

Comparison

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
          Without seeing the effect on say a TM piston, it don't mean too much.

Plus, when is your piston ever under pressure in any other direction that length ways?
          I would think they get forces from many different directions throughout their cycle.

Seeing it put against a TM piston is fine if you buy TM products. I don't therefor that wouldn't mean much.
          Gun tech.

Comment

1. Drop it from 2 stories
            2. Drop a mallet on it
            3. Drive over with motorbike
            4. Drive over with car

Fair test?

C*ck, just realised I don't have my SHS piston now, well I do have a 3 tooth one and a Element clear.

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
            A brain?
            Originally posted by snuff
            Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

I'm just glad the guy in my vid didn't bash his laptop by mistake, mind you that would have been funny.

The one in Funkychunky's vid is marked as a proper Azimuth, identical to the SHS ones in every way. I still think they are one and the same, unfortunatly I can't find any of the true Azimuths to do a comparrison.

Does anyone have one? Not the SHS as I have those myself...lol.
              Gun tech.

Comment

Originally posted by midas View Post
                I would think they get forces from many different directions throughout their cycle.
                I don't know about you, but mine is pull back by its teeth then pushed forward from the middle. At no point is it attacked from the side with a hammer for example.

Comment

Thats nice and all...

but in the event of a catastrophic gearbox failiure, dont you want your piston to break? Rather than your gears or something worse?

Comment

Smashing your piston with a hammer has little or no bearing on whether or not the teeth will strip on it.

It's just a stupid marketing ploy. Like Pmags for example. Are we going to run over our mags with a jeep in a skirmish. No i think not.

Utterly pointless tests if you ask me. I'd much rather they stress test the pistons with a 22.2v lipo and a high torque motor with an m170 spring.

Comment

I don't know about you, but mine is pull back by its teeth then pushed forward from the middle. At no point is it attacked from the side with a hammer for example.
                      Quite true, but within the forces of pulling it backwards and forwards there will be some latteral forces due to the sudden impact of being picded up on the sector gear and wizzing backwards then the sudden stop at the cylinder head with the back of the piston trying to hit the front.

As for being useless being hit by a hammer...What do you think the effect of the pick up tooth on the sector gear does as it comes in contact with the pick up tooth on the piston.....Oh yes...Just like being hit with a hammer...lol..

Sometimes you would think people would think things through befor letting their fingers talk.
                      Gun tech.

Comment

From the side, on the guide rails? lol

A usefult test would be held by the teeth only, see how much newton force is required before the teeth rip from the piston or the gears.

No doubt another product you trying to pedal in your shop - so guess you'll be defending the universally accepted hammer test for a while yet

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
                          Thats nice and all...

but in the event of a catastrophic gearbox failiure, dont you want your piston to break? Rather than your gears or something worse?
                          Yes and I have head similar quotes a thousand times on the forum but there comes a point when a non-metal solution just isnt up to the job in hand. No-one wants a gearbox failiure but sometimes it goes with the territory with a high rof conversion. Im sure that NASA would rather build the shuttle out of polymer than insanely priced unobtanium but they dont have much choice.

SRC G36C v2 / ICS L85 A2 / ICS M4 RIS Proline all with AirFET mosfets. RA-Tech WE GBB Open Bolt SCAR
                          TM chrome Deagle / KWA P226 / WE G18C Gen4

Comment

From the side, on the guide rails? lol

A usefult test would be held by the teeth only, see how much newton force is required before the teeth rip from the piston or the gears.

No doubt another product you trying to pedal in your shop - so guess you'll be defending the universally accepted hammer test for a while yet
                            I used one in my DSG, but have swapped it out for a different full metal toothed one. I was more hoping to find someone who had what was marketed as a genuine Azimuth so I could compare the two.

Who's got a shop, I didn't mention that!!!
                            Gun tech.

Comment

loving the science... hit it if it doesnt break must be win..

Truth is i think we are well and truely past the point of parts breaking through normal use...

All of the pistons on the market will do a perfectly good job in your gun.

Price isnt even a concern nowadays, as airsoft is becoming more popular and the trend to upgrade or repair every aeg, a stock of 20 pistons soon becomes zero in a week, and the restock time from most places is 5 times longer than it is to sell it... great for shops rubbish for someone looking to replace there pistons or parts.

In airsoft often the "best" piston or part is simply the most available one...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

North West Outpost Find out more about North West Outpost
                              Working...
                              X