Modifications when selling on ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifications when selling on ?

Whats the general view when selling on a second hand gun with loads of uprated modifications.

I always use the half price rule for mods then add on what you want for the gun ?

One friend says the mods are worth nothing the other agree with me ?

I suspect when it gets to a stage its worth more breaking and selling in bits fair enought but seems silly breaking a pukka gun that someone would get great pleasure out of

J

Re: Modifications when selling on ?

If you can prove it has upgrades and modifications to it, then of course it would increase the value.

For instance, a stock TM VSR/GSPEC is probably worth around £100 2nd hand, but if someones upgraded it to a beast of a sniper rifle, Ive seen them go for £300+

Saying upgrades are worth nothing is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard, ever.

Comment

the simple answer is its a buyers market, if they arent buying it for the mods, then they wont pay inflated prices for them.

I personally take all "custom/modified/upgraded" claims with a pinch of salt, as the majority of "modders" out there, are kids with cheap tools and no clue what they are doing, buying second hand parts to start with, them claiming thier gun's a "systema" cos its got a sys hop rubber!

Quantity and honesty gets you the best price, that or rarity

Comment

Thats very true regarding proof of mods etc.

I keep all my receipts kind of like a service history lol that way all the receipts go with the gun etc.

I think thats the key if proof and its mods someone wants then the price will rise for this.

J

Comment

Of course upgrades are worth something but it's difficult to say unless there is some sort of proof; especially for internal upgrades, which by their very nature are difficult to see.

As already mentioned, it's really upto the buyers as they might not give a hoot about those things. I would apply the same rules for value to upgrades as I do to any sale - less than a year old 60% of what i paid then for a year old 50% any less than that it's a bit of a judgement call really.

Comment

To be fair i dont look for upgrades at all, infact myself if i see its been messed with i usualy steer clear as any chimp could have done it.

But as far as buying an upgraded weapon, unless the upgrades can be proved (pics or reciepts) then i would not pay the extra, especialy in the case of an AEG where the upgrades are gearbox related.

Comment

im with Tisane here
              VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
              trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

ditto, prove the upgrades, provide recipts, but if you look like a primate, I aint paying squat for your fiddlings!

Comment

I suppose proof of purchase and a level of competence are the main prerequisites for getting any money for internal upgrades. If you can't do your own shoelaces up; it's probably best to avoid doing any GB work yourself especially if you intend to sell that weapon at a later date.

There are a lot of people where I play who will buy upgraded/custom guns from me because I have worked on them and they know what i can or cant do and then it comes down to who you know as well. There are certain people on all the forums I use who i know I could buy an upgraded gun from with confidence and others i wouldn't really want to work on a sandwich!

Comment

To be fair i dont think its as much about being competent to do it, its more about sellers saying "£100s spent on GB upgrades" and the only way of proving that is by opening it up yourself, and once you do that and there not present where do you stand with the GB in peices, a shop would tell you to hop on ya bike.

At least if the upgrades are there but not done properly it can be rectified at little or no cost.

Comment

but the damage that can be done to upgrade parts that have been incorrectly fitted can defeat the point in having them at all...

I bought an "upgraded" gearbox, that was so badly shimmed, the wear to the "better gear set" rendered them useless....

Comment

Originally posted by tisane View Post
                        To be fair i dont look for upgrades at all, infact myself if i see its been messed with i usualy steer clear as any chimp could have done it.
                        ^^ This is exactly how i feel

Comment

I think competancy goes a long way too! if the upgrades are done incorrectly it could cost an awful lot to put right and as you say once you've opened the box yourself then the seller can just tell you to jog on! Sometimes you might land luck and find a gun with loads of fancy bits stuck in it but the owener just couldn't get it to work but you know that a £5 bit here or there will have it singing like a songbird and then it's worth it. Personally, I would only buy an upgraded gun from someone I know but you's pay your money and you's take your chances!

beaten to it by madwelshman!
                          Last edited by philbucknall; 28 February, 2011, 13:07.

Comment

Unless proof is shown to me, i will probably never go for an upgraded AEG unless i know and trust the seller personally.

I tend to buy them stock and just upgrade the hell out of the myself

Comment

madwelshman has said it all really.

Been on the receiving end of some appalling "upgrades". Any "element" upgrade parts reduce the value from most stock set-ups imo
                              bought [bawt]
                              verb
                              Simple past tense and past participle of buy.
                              brought [brawt]
                              verb
                              Simple past tense and past participle of bring.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

b16jus Im me....... Find out more about b16jus
                              Working...
                              X