Weathering an Ak47

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weathering an Ak47

Just got a TM Ak47 which is great but the receiver is a new looking grey colour which really stands out.
    I want to get it looking 'used' and authentic, any tips from anyone for doing that?
    My first thoughts are to spray it black and put some artificial wear onto it but then it's black and not the real steel colour....
    G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Re: Weathering an Ak47

Throw it in a river and retrive it in 6 months...
    Or you just could use a bit of steel wool, correct me if I am wrong though but isn't the body plastic? can you really weather plastic?

Comment

Im assuming its a plastic bodied TM? If so I dont think theres actually much you can do to weather it without actually damaging the plastic, potentially quite badly...

Comment

Ah no sorry I should have said, it's got full metal and wood kit on it
        It's second hand so the wood and mags etc look the part, just the receiver needs a bit of work
        G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Comment

you can't really weather plastic, you need real wood and metal my boy.

Boris
          K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

If it's plastic use drybrushing. some GW boltgun metal (or equivelant metal paint) put on a brish, most of it taken off onto a cloth, then GENTLY brush over the body with it. The paint with stick to the very edge of all the parts, and look good!

Comment

Tis a metal body lads

Comment

Oh ok then drag it around your car for a couple of hundred meters. If it's a real AK then it'll take it and keep going.

(Or just use sandpaper :D)

Comment

Lol what don't people get about "it's got full metal and wood kit on it"

Just strap it to your car and drive round the block a couple of times :D hehe...

Comment

Use fine steel wool, it takes time but works. Rub gently in spots that would attract ware though, and when in doubt, stop!

Comment

I didnt strap mine to a car. Just attacked it with a bit of rough sand paper. Just be rather sparing where you use it.

The wood you can use woodstain, and attack it with a hammer and screwdriver to give it a smacked up look

Comment

Personally I think artificially worn guns look awful no matter how carefully you do it. You just can't help putting marks where they wouldn't be in real life.

Don't do anything to it, just don't take too much care when moving through the bushes and so on. Let it rub against things and work the selector up and down till there's a clear mark. That will be enough.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just use it at every opportunity you get
                          Nothing beats each scar having a story

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
                            Personally I think artificially worn guns look awful no matter how carefully you do it. You just can't help putting marks where they wouldn't be in real life.

Don't do anything to it, just don't take too much care when moving through the bushes and so on. Let it rub against things and work the selector up and down till there's a clear mark. That will be enough.

This man speaks the truth! I intend to let nature and skirmishing take thier course and weather my gun with time, will look a lot better, then I can be a grizzled veteran and talk about how each scratch tells a story in my guns life :D

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
                              This man speaks the truth! I intend to let nature and skirmishing take thier course and weather my gun with time, will look a lot better, then I can be a grizzled veteran and talk about how each scratch tells a story in my guns life :D
                              I do agree but this metal already has some wear to it... Which just doesn't show because of the colour of it. So I wanted to give it a darker colour to allow the wear to show really

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mike581 Ex Forces Find out more about Mike581
                              Working...
                              X